Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fear of Death.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sindri wrote: »
    EDIT

See ^^^^ above for an example. That poster arrived at that conclusion using an egotistical invested reasoning. It is fatalist, yes, because that is one of the few responses with which we feel comfortable with as it is better than the alternative of depression. The other popular response is that we don't die.

There was no intention of being egotistical in my post which you are referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I can't wait to meet Binky, I really like horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I love life and don't want to die for a very, very long time. I'm terrified of dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I think the thing that pisses most people off about death is the though that the party is still going on, just without YOU.. ( Cheers Hitch ).

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'm scared of dying.

Big whoop.

Wanna fight about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

For years, my favourite saying was 'well I could be run over by a bus tomorrow' whenever I was about to do something monumentally stupid. It took my brother to point out that maybe I wouldn't be run over by a bus the next day, and that fuchsia pink hair colour would be there in all it's gaudy glory for another few months :eek:

I'd an awful view of life, all I could see was death. Death was a big part of my childhood, and my way of dealing with it was to pretend I wasn't scared, almost welcoming it in a 'I knew you'd arrive one day' sort of way. There's a small bit of residue left, though, in that my humour can be very black when it comes to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I better get my 72 virgins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

There was no intention of being egotistical in my post which you are referring to.

I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

as long as its not too painful and my children don't go before me and I get to see them grow up a little, what will be, will be;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Karona wrote: »
    You are dying from the moment you take your first breath.
    you mean living

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I often think death is like sleep, you don't know what's going on and if you never wake up well then no harm done.

I think a lot of grief is selfish because whoever is dead is not feeling a thing, a gentle passing I think is the best we can ask for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

The only death I fear is the death of a close family member, especially my mother. My own death? Not so much...not at all actually. And that's not meant in a morbid way, that's meant in a realistic way; it's gonna happen to all of us at some stage - there is no point fearing it; just go out and live it to the fullest.

(that last part sounds like an "Annoying Facebook Girl" type status update -LiVe LiFe teh Dah Fullist WiTh All Me GirLos xoxoxo"):pac:

Here's a question that has been flying around my mind since I've read this thread - if matter can neither be created nor destroyed, then what about newborns? Obviously the eggs are in the woman, but they get renewed all the time, so isn't that technically "matter being created from nothing"?
    I'm a scientist by the way, and am quite perplexed by this.

I don't believe I will cease to exist after I leave this world.

Out of interest, where do you think you will go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Here's a question that has been flying around my mind since I've read this thread - if matter can neither be created nor destroyed, then what about newborns? Obviously the eggs are in the woman, but they get renewed all the time, so isn't that technically "matter being created from nothing"?

Don't women only have a certain number of eggs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

He's talking about ego in the arts student freudian sense, which may very well draw such a cloud of smug as will doom us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Think of a seed. It won't grow unless it gets planted in soil and gets watered. It's not magically growing it's using the nutrients in the soil and water to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Yes and there is nothing that can be done to change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

When I think about it hard enough, yes, I guess I am afraid. But it's an irrational fear. When I'm gone, I'm gone. It will just be the same as before I was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

He will come back to haunt you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

He will come back to haunt you ;)
    Banned From The Beyond, Mickey's revenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I fear the fear of death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

I dont fear death or ceasing to be alive. My only hope is that my death is not a painful one. If I die peacefully I will die happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Death? Ha...aha...ahahahah...HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

The notion/reality of death makes life worth living... or something to that effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Matter = Energy

Energy can't be created or destroyed, but it can be converted to many forms. The energy in a womans body used to make babies is gotten from food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Mod heaven perhaps:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

bring the death! :)

token56 wrote: »
    I dont fear death or ceasing to be alive. My only hope is that my death is not a painful one. If I die peacefully I will die happy.

Id be the opposite tbh. when I die I want it to be screaming and IN PAIN!!!

that way death becomes the relief! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

IM0 wrote: »
    Id be the opposite tbh. when I die I want it to be screaming and IN PAIN!!!

that way death becomes the relief! :)

Who's relief?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Getting older bothers me, as I would be far more annoyed that I didn't do enough when I was younger.

Who's relief?

death = not suffering anymore!

death is better, dying = pain and suffering, death = nothingness :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I have no fear of being dead, because it's pointless, I've been non-existent countless years before my birth and I can imagine death is no different in terms of state. However, I do slightly worry about dying in the sense that I will be leaving dependable loved ones, obligations and things that I would aspire to do in my lifetime which I haven't behind. Not that I find this driving any such guilt or selfishness, it's just my family or whoever is important to me may feel saddened and somewhat left behind by it - the thought of that annoys me deeply. Oh well, such is life; nobody comes out of it alive, ironically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

if you dont fear death your life must suck. youve been given a taste what its like to live so the whole before you were born thing doesnt make sense. not living would suck, even tho times are bad, id rather be listening to bieber or watching south park than being a whole pile of nothing 6 feet under

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

EdenHazard wrote: »
    if you dont fear death your life must suck. youve been given a taste what its like to live so the whole before you were born thing doesnt make sense. not living would suck, even tho times are bad, id rather be listening to bieber or watching south park than being a whole pile of nothing 6 feet under

Or you could be too busy enjoying life to waste time on fearing the inevitable? I dont want to die, far from it, but to spend energy fearing it would be pointless. My only hope is that it doesnt hurt or come too soon-Im a pussy for pain and Ive a lot I want to do before the time comes, but other than that I don't ever really think about it and I certainly don't fear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭niamhx

I don't fear death. I'd rather not die but that's not possible.

For those who think you die screaming I've yet to see it and I've a lot of experience sadly. Most people die without knowing wtf is going on, the rest welcome it because of long term illness which is far worse than death ! Before death your either so sick you just slip away, or you didn't even see the bus coming so either way it's not an issue for most.

Long term illness is far worse than death IMO. That's something that should frighten the ****e out of everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

So does the idea of ceasing to exist trouble you?

Absolutely not. Hopefully meet my maker.:) Life's like being on a bus. When it's your stop you'll get off. No point in dwelling on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I suspect that a large part of belief in an afterlife is motivated by the fear of death.

This is so much to do with it.

I'd recommend Robert Green's the 50th Law on the subject of fear of death and how it limit's our enjoyment and power in our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Sometimes. Mostly at 3am on a sleepless weeknight when those pesky thoughts about mortality start to worm their way through your tired, unoccupied and addled brain. I really hate that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

*puts on Dark Side of the Moon*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

the not existing anymore thing truly scares me more than death, the whole thing of i had life and now its gone.
    yes you were nothing before you were born, but you didnt know there was anything till you were born anyway.
    id like to achieve everything ive ever wanted sooner rather than later, and experience pretty much everything after that, if i got to my 80s at least id be very happy.
    also dying in my sleep, peacefully as some people put it, that scares me though, i want to know whats going to happen, have time to say goodbye to loved ones, be happy for the last time etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

edgecutter wrote: »
    Getting older bothers me, as I would be far more annoyed that I didn't do enough when I was younger.

Why would it bother you? No matter how enjoyable was or wasn't in the past it doesn't change how enjoyable life is now. The enjoyment would be long gone and in the past. Do you care now that you didn't do enough as a 5 year old?

Advertisement