Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram Help Please???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

As far as I can tell, your laptop only supports 266MHz DDR memory, and you've bought 333HMz memory. If you can get into the BIOS, and lower the speed, it should boot fine. Usually the BIOS will automatically set speeds, but not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They look to be identical except the second one mentions "64Meg x 64". This refers to how the memory chips are laid out on the module. There was an issue in the DDR days that some motherboards did not support RAM which was high density and it would only read some or none of the memory. These were often the newer ones which were higher capacity and cheaper. I suspect that this could be the problem and that the motherboard does not support the arrangement of the chips.
    It could be just a bad module and it's always difficult to find any good information and support for many of HP's products from HP themselves and the only information you can find is by trawling through the internet for experiences of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

Thanks for the help guys, i got into the BIOS by pressing F2 on startup but unfortunately im locked out of changing the speed so its looking like ill have to return the RAM...Thank god Crucial do returns...

On another note found the ram i was looking for a lot cheaper on MrMemory.co.uk ..... Anyone ever used them, what are they like???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

MemoryC.ie are great. Cheap, and free delivery.

Here's memory that should be compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Serephucus wrote: »
    MemoryC.ie are great. Cheap, and free delivery.

Here's memory that should be compatible.

Hmm... I don't know. According to here (Breakpoint #2), 512MB should have 16 chips for low density and they specifically give a warning that there could be a compatibility issue when saying there's 8 chips.

You could contact memoryc, but unfortunately, they don't have an alternative 512MB module to offer or to compare specifications.

More info here, but I'd have to read it a few times to get what's being said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement