Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's On, Common V Drake

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

You're forgetting what started it all however:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Comment from J-Zone on FaceBook
    J-Zone

Drake-Common beef is generational and pointless. Drake fans will call Common old. Common fans will call Drake soft. Duke it out in Scrabble & call it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I liked the Common line imitating Drake on the "catch a body like that", of course Drake will stay submlimal but all in all kind of pointless.

Whats next JB taking shots at Ice Cube?

Sweet may have been about Drake, but the fact he took that line to heart is funny as it is very subliminal and it could have been about plenty of people but people immediately thought Drake after "soft" and singing came up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Comment from J-Zone on FaceBook
    J-Zone

Drake-Common  beef is generational and pointless. Drake fans will  call Common old.  Common fans will call Drake soft. Duke it out in  Scrabble & call it a  day.

hopefully people say neither, hopefully people dont pick sides, hopefully it stays on wax.

personally i dont see the harm, hopefully drake replies and proves some people wrong, a good old diss battle should be enjoyed rather than scorned upon, if kept on record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I've picked my side anyway, the real rappers side.

• Advertisement

I liked the Common line imitating Drake on the "catch a body like that", of course Drake will stay submlimal but all in all kind of pointless.

Whats next JB taking shots at Ice Cube?

Sweet may have been about Drake, but the fact he took that line to heart is funny as it is very subliminal and it could have been about plenty of people but people immediately thought Drake after "soft" and singing came up.

Taken from DigitalSpy.ie:
    Common has confessed that a jibe made in his track 'Sweet' is directed towards Drake.

In the track, Common raps "Singing all around me man, la la la", a jibe referring to Drake's vocal stylings on his own music.

Asked about the motivation behind the lyrics, Common told MTV News: "He opened his mouth and said some things, so if that's what he wants - all that subliminal [talk]…you could do that too, but say it now.

"The verse is about me but when you hear some of the stuff on the chorus it's like you can't help but think about [the] dude and I guess that's what he felt. So at the end of day he fits in that category, he already embraced it, so wear it."

However, Common went on to say that he can recognise Drake's talent, adding: "He's a very successful artist obviously and like I said, he's a talented artist too - I give credit where it's due."

I would be very surprised if Drake came straight out and did not try to subliminally try to lullaby Common to death.

Well yes mention singing, sweet and rap and we all immediately think Drake but it is funny Drake jumped to the conclusion too especially with the "sweet" jibe.

I would be very surprised if Drake came straight out and did not try to subliminally try to lullaby Common to death.

Well yes mention singing, sweet and rap and we all immediately think Drake but it is funny Drake jumped to the conclusion too especially with the "sweet" jibe.

"Singing all around me man, la la la"

Who else could this by apart from Drake? Maybe Kanye, but Common and him are tight.

Lots of people who should not be rapping rapping recently, most of them are mainly singers.

JB, Chris Brown and others who I do not know but there is a lot of them and many with a decent size buzz.
    Neyo, trey songz and more from google.

But as I said, everyone thinks Drake.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

x2_a50c2f9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i cant wait too see what drake comes with on his own, like common said dont hide behind those other niggas, man to man.

drakes going to get ruined, he is not capable or talented enough as an mc to consistently trade verses with common.

I give drake 1 song after that its writers block, out with the blackberry and rap his old lryics :D.

i can see drake calling in some back up at some point, common has hopefully luda to collab with and if that happens its over.

but i have a feeling drake wont even reply and a middle party will step in and squash it on some uncle snoop like sh*t:D.

only because everyone seems so against drake id like to see him hold his own.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    only because everyone seems so against drake id like to see him hold his own.

drake got all those teeny boppers in his corner + the fact common is a legend man and makes real hip hop music that is my reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Common really went in, will be interested in hearing Drake's response..

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fourteen

I don't have a problem with Drake like a lot of people do, but why doesn't he just stay in his lane? Are people supposed to believe he's hard all of a sudden? Getting involved in this kind of shit can be just counter-productive, like when Ja went from selling with his own style to being ignored after the 50 beef.

Drake kind of tests people's patience though, even with stuff like saying Jay and Kanye were "two other rappers" who stole his idea with Watch the Throne. Drake needs to stfu and stay in his lane, that's all.

Common won this round though, only because he went straight for the jugular and named names, his verse wasnt better than drakes or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I like Drake, but seriously, why bother with this? He's doing very well doing what he's doing. Common will hand his ass to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Paully D wrote: »
    I like Drake, but seriously, why bother with this? He's doing very well doing what he's doing. Common will hand his ass to him.

I think he's doing it to try and show that he can live with the big boys. He hasn't a hope of coming out on top of this. I'd say he'll stay in it as long as he can before getting out.

Someone will probably be writing his lines. Just as Drake is ready to be handed his ass some other hip hop legend will step in and separate the two of them. They'll come to an agreement and Drake will come out looking like a hero that lasted 5 rounds with the heavyweight champ of the world. Essentially it'll all be a big front and his street cred will rise off the back of it.

Of course I hope I'm completely wrong and none of that happens and Common simply destroys Drake. Drake isn't anywhere in the same class as Common. It's mind boggling as to why he'd want to take this on at all. It's a lose-lose situation for him.

Am I wrong in thinking this all started with Common talking about Drake on 'Sweet' (ie. Common started this himself, Drake didn't provoke him)? Or did Drake say something subliminal about Common first?

If it was the shots on 'Sweet' that started this then I can understand why Drake responded, it's not as if he thinks he's going up against a nobody, he did call Common a "God"...

As far as I know, it;s from the comments in Sweet.

My opinion is that this has materialised from label executives. Think about it. Common releases Sweet, some people think that its a shot at Drake. Common denies.
    A minute later, Common is confirming as it got a bit of attention.
    Drake responds and so on and so forth.

Has all the signs of being manufactured to be honest.

Unless there was somethign that really kicked a beef off, but i'm sure that would be in the public eye by now.

Remember....both have just recently released albums......nothing like a bit of controversy to sell some more units.

• Advertisement

In all fairness the only person in need of help selling records is common, this won't push drakes numbers up.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    In all fairness the only person in need of help selling records is common, this won't push drakes numbers up.

Do you think he or anyone in his camp would complain if his numbers were pushed up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

A lot of 'rap beefs' are manufactured. Kanye and 50 had the same agent. So did Kanye and Taylor Swift.

This beef has been soft as fcuk. They should drop it since neither are any good at writing disses. Nobody is going to win it'll just be..

Drake fans: **** Common! He's old, and he had his time! No one's checking for him! Stick to acting!

Common fans: **** Drake! Can't rap for ****, and he's always singing! Stick to acting!

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Do you think he or anyone in his camp would complain if his numbers were pushed up?
    I dont suppose they would, but the point remains, if we're gonna go down the route of assuming this will be good for numbers, the only person whose numbers may increase would be commons.

Although personally I feel that's a good thing, if people feel like spending money on either after this it more than likely means it was entertaining.
    Which is really what it should be.

I'm just delighted we have some battling that hopefully will not only entertain us but give us some good music.

There literally hasnt been a beef I was interested in since 50 v Ross, I taught something would of stemmed from ludacris replying to drake and big Sean but common has now stepped in so it's all good.

If you ask me battling has been missing the last few years probally due to the watered down nature of most new mc's.

Really don't think this is going to amount to much at all, neither of them are the beefing type, the tough acts don't suit either of them IMO.

What's Drake going to do if he does happen to run into Common? What's Common going to do if Drake does say his name on a track?

Not expecting much else to happen tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Really don't think this is going to amount to much at all, neither of them are the beefing type, the tough acts don't suit either of them IMO.

What's Drake going to does happen to run into Common? What's Common going to do if Drake does say his name on a track?

Not expecting much else to happen tbh.

The beefing type? did you here commons response to westside slaughterhouse?
    As much as I love ice cube I have to admit he was destroyed on that song.

Personally if I want some "battles" I will watch kotd, grindtime or dont flop.

Should be interesting to see what drake comes out with though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

In what world is Drake even a patch on Common?

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    The beefing type? did you here commons response to westside slaughterhouse?

I know Common can hold his own when it comes to beefing, but IMO it just doesn't suit him. He's got a kind of nice guy image, he's not "gangsta", he's nothing like a Tupac, 50 Cent, Game, etc type character who acts tough, thrives off beef and baits other rappers into feuds. I don't know, he just comes across as a guy that wouldn't normally look for trouble IMO. Kind of surprised he was the one to take a shot first but I guess he does have an album to promote...

Advertisement