Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's On, Common V Drake

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

As I said man , I don't think the actual reason behind wanting to battle actually matters. We have seen countless beef situations just like this before for the exact same reason as drake said.

But at the end of the day it may be very true what drake thinks but I don't see anything wrong with it because it's still a very valid reason to battle a fellow rapper.

Also you can't just reply to someone and then get totally out rapped in an imediate response and then decide to pull out of a beef lol.

I also wouldn't call common irrelevant, he isn't as commercial as drake and is never going to sell as much but that looks to be the price you pay these days for not making hip pop like drake.

If he was irrelevant, kanye wouldnt of signed him to his label. But it's impossible to compare commons relevance to drakes because drake is arguably in his prime that's like saying game isn't relevant because he didn't sell as much as drake too, it's not a fair comparison to determine someone's relevance.

I'm not saying Commons irrelevant because of his sales (not sure what numbers his album did) but let's be honest here - would we be talking about Common today if he didn't diss Drake? Would all of the hip-hop news sites be keeping up with his interviews if he wasn't talking about Drake in every one of them? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Drake fan but I've always liked Common and I like his new album but this whole stunt was pretty desperate on his part. It's easy to bash Drake, especially when someone like Common is going at him and the people that have always hated Drake are really going in on him while getting a bit carried away when talking about how good they think Common is. He's good, obviously, but saying that he's as good as or better than any other rapper in the game is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I'm not saying Commons irrelevant because of his sales (not sure what numbers his album did) but let's be honest here - would we be talking about Common today if he didn't diss Drake? Would all of the hip-hop news sites be keeping up with his interviews if he wasn't talking about Drake in every one of them? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Drake fan but I've always liked Common and I like his new album but this whole stunt was pretty desperate on his part. It's easy to bash Drake, especially when someone like Common is going at him and the people that have always hated Drake are really going in on him while getting a bit carried away when talking about how good they think Common is. He's good, obviously, but saying that he's as good as or better than any other rapper in the game is ridiculous.

Tbh I'd call Common almost irrelevant by this stage, if i ask most of my friends who common is I'd say maybe 3 or 4 of them would know him and that would mostly be because of the fact that i listen to him, the lad doesn't get his play on mtv or any of them stations, he doesn't get much publicity anymore either and in my opinion i think the drake diss was all for attention, a lot of rappers have done that in the past and it's just a part of rap by this stage.

the only rapper i can think of that consistently beefs with people for personal reasons would have to be eminem, common's just looking for publicity and he got it for a brief period at the start of the beef but as much as we all love him he won't ever be as successful as he was in the 90s and he'll keep needing to make moves like this to keep himself even slightly relevant within hip hop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I'm not saying Commons irrelevant because of his sales (not sure what numbers his album did) but let's be honest here - would we be talking about Common today if he didn't diss Drake?

i actually bought a few songs of the album on itunes, i always keep an ear out for his music and i posted a few of his songs on the hip hop 2011 thread pier to the album, his kind of music is an acquired taste like mos def etc the likes of them never do big numbers because their not that commercial, i think the dreamer done 60'000 not sure though but imo he might not be that relevant here but he still does have a relatively strong core fan base.

But ye the beef with drake obviously will do him no harm, im not saying in any way he is as relevant as he was in the past but he's still a great rapper who makes good music from time to time.
    I'm a Drake fan but I've always liked Common and I like his new album but this whole stunt was pretty desperate on his part. It's easy to bash Drake, especially when someone like Common is going at him and the people that have always hated Drake are really going in on him while getting a bit carried away when talking about how good they think Common is. He's good, obviously, but saying that he's as good as or better than any other rapper in the game is ridiculous.

i can see where your coming from but honestly this happens the whole time its nothing new at all.

im not trying to take a stab at you but i know your a fan of game too so il use the example of him looking for a g unit re-union or saying he was back on aftermath pier to his album being released as a desperate move too, this is what i mean stuff like this happens in hip hop the whole time and rappers who use to be on drake's level of relevance see a chance to gain some more publicity their gona take it imo.

look at dre making music with rick ross, lil wayne and dj kahled etc its to gain more exposure again, every rapper does it in some shape or form and yes in this case common has done it but i just don't see how its a valid excuse not too battle especially when drake responded in the first place.:)

Actually Game is a good example, he released that 'Uncle Otis' track dissing Jay-Z a few weeks before his album was released. Completely unprovoked, he purposely released a controversial track before his album dropped and he took shots at Jay-Z in an attempt to gain some publicity. He got a lot of hate for it, especially from Jay/Kanye fans.

Now, this time around Common is in Games place and Drake is in Jay-Z's - what's the difference with what Common has done this time round? In August Jay was getting plenty of publicity with Watch The Throne and in December Drake was getting plenty of publicity for Take Care. Both Game and Common took advantage of this and attempted to stir up controversy and gain some media attention for themselves.

So I have to ask, what is the difference? In fairness man, at the time, you said yourself that the 'Uncle Otis' track was done out of desperation but now, because it's Drake that's getting dissed, it's not desperate? That's not the way it works.
    game relesed this uncle otis track ... he takes a few shots at jay z and others, i just think is desperation for game at this stage

The fact is that Common dissed Drake out of desperation in the hope that it would help his album sales, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

@prettyboy

On the phone can't qoute all that but where did I say this wasn't desperate from common?

I think you have mis understood me completely, my point was that it is still a valid reason to beef, I never said a desperate move wasn't ...

As I said it happens the whole time , the example you gave just their of game is what I'm talking about but the difference between jay z and drake is that jay didn't respond and then back out like drake did!.

In most cases the underdog will more than likely be the desperate one because he has nothing to lose and all to gain in this case the obvious underdog is common.

Obviously I'm backing common and I do like a good beef but again to clear it up l never said this wasn't desperate from common, all I said was it was a bullsh*t excuse from drake because of the fact he replied in the first place And then ignored common just like he ignored Luda.

A coincidence ? I don't think so :)

• Advertisement

Drake implied that Common only dissed him in the hope that the publicity would help his record sell and you said:
    That's his opinion, it doesn't mean he's right just because he said it.
    I thought that was you disagreeing with Drake? Either way, this whole episode has been embarrassing for everyone involved. I think it's desperate that someone like Common has to resort to attacking "soft" rappers but Drake responded and then immediately backed down. Common then said he actually likes Drakes music (despite saying the opposite on 'Sweet') and doesn't have any problem and hopes that they can move on..

This was just a train wreck from start to finish, the Ray J and Fabolous beef was more entertaining and less cringe-worthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Ye double standards definitily, and people will always find something to hate on.
    He responds he thinks he's a gangsta now, he doesn't respond, he's a puzzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

"You gonna hype me up and make me catch a body like that"

No, Drake, No.

Advertisement