Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I entitled to Tax back

• 09-01-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if Im entitled to tax back. Im 21, I worked part time for two months as a christmas temp.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Just wondering if Im entitled to tax back. Im 21, I worked part time for two months as a christmas temp.

It all depends on your circumstances. Did you have any other taxable income in year such as another job or a taxable DSP payment? The tax year ended on 31/12/11 so you could do a review online for 2011 to see if a refund is due for tax paid in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ring the revenue. Have your pps number handy and ask for a P21 balancing statement for 2011. You can get one for the 3 years before that too if you were working on and off at any stage during those years.

If you are entitled to a tax refund it will come in the form of a cheque attached to your P21.

Its simple, they are well used to being asked for them and it'll only take a few minutes on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

what about if youre someone who has worked the first 6 months of 2011 and has just started work overseas (Canada)?

I noticed on the P50 that there are questions regarding this. Will this impact the tax im owed from 2011?

bugle wrote: »
    what about if youre someone who has worked the first 6 months of 2011 and has just started work overseas (Canada)?

I noticed on the P50 that there are questions regarding this. Will this impact the tax im owed from 2011?

The P50 does not apply in your case as we are now in a new tax year. P50 forms are only required when you are applying for a refund of tax during a period of unemployment; normally 4 weeks after you are let go.

As we are now in a new tax year, you can just request a review for 2011 from Revenue via email or phone detailing your residence intentions. So long as you are non resident for 2012 you should be entitled to split year treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

I looked up PAYE website and am really confused. my last job is down there but my job I just finished there isnt. And I paid tax on that, but theres no mention of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There is probably a bit of a backlog as they are putting through all of last years P60s. Mine isn't there for last year yet either and I am waiting for it to go up as I'm owed tax back too as I was working two jobs for awhile.

I looked up PAYE website and am really confused. my last job is down there but my job I just finished there isnt. And I paid tax on that, but theres no mention of it

That means your employer never registered the employment with Revenue. You should be able to at least see the employment if it was registered. If you are still working there you need to register it. Call Revenue with the date started, employers PAYE ref number and your PPS.

If you have finished, they should have provided you with a P45 unless you ceased on 31/12/11. Either way you or your employer need to provide information to Revenue in order to sort out your situation.

SeaFields wrote: »
    There is probably a bit of a backlog as they are putting through all of last years P60s. Mine isn't there for last year yet either and I am waiting for it to go up as I'm owed tax back too as I was working two jobs for awhile.

Employers have until mid February to file their P35s with Revenue, which show pay and tax for their employees. A lot of employers are quite lax and file in March or April. Without this or your P60s or P45s Revenue do not know what your Pay or tax were.

That means your employer never registered the employment with Revenue. You should be able to at least see the employment if it was registered. If you are still working there you need to register it. Call Revenue with the date started, employers PAYE ref number and your PPS.

If you have finished, they should have provided you with a P45 unless you ceased on 31/12/11. Either way you or your employer need to provide information to Revenue in order to sort out your situation.

I received my P45 today in the post from my former employers, so I would assume Ive been registered. Do I have to contact my former place of work to do this, or will they do this eventually. I am no longer working there

I received my P45 today in the post from my former employers, so I would assume Ive been registered. Do I have to contact my former place of work to do this, or will they do this eventually. I am no longer working there

Since you have your P45, it is no longer your employers issue. They should have sent part 1 to Revenue which may take a few weeks to show up if they sent it manually or a few days if it was sent electronically. Check the online service in a few days to see if it has shown up.

Some employers never bother to register new employments with Revenue which is where emergency tax kicks in. One of the reasons for emergency tax is to make the employee question how they are being taxed either by speaking to the employer or Revenue. In cases such as yours where the employment was not showing up in the online system for 2011, the issuing of a P45 usually gets the employment to show up on record.
    It's always best when you have started a new job to contact Revenue a few weeks after starting to ensure it has been registered.

• Advertisement

Since you have your P45, it is no longer your employers issue. They should have sent part 1 to Revenue which may take a few weeks to show up if they sent it manually or a few days if it was sent electronically. Check the online service in a few days to see if it has shown up.

Some employers never bother to register new employments with Revenue which is where emergency tax kicks in. One of the reasons for emergency tax is to make the employee question how they are being taxed either by speaking to the employer or Revenue. In cases such as yours where the employment was not showing up in the online system for 2011, the issuing of a P45 usually gets the employment to show up on record.
    It's always best when you have started a new job to contact Revenue a few weeks after starting to ensure it has been registered.

well I finished work on the 29th december 2011, and I just looked at my p45, and Ive parts 2-4, so they have part 1 anyway. dont know what the situation is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What did Revenue say when you rang them?

JustMary wrote: »
    What did Revenue say when you rang them?

I contacted my local revenue office twice by email and got no reply.

Revenue got back to me and said I was entitled to tax back and that my account would credited shortly. Anyone know how long that will be. Also one more question, do you get it all back, or half? I read online, you dont ever get the full amount.

Revenue got back to me and said I was entitled to tax back and that my account would credited shortly. Anyone know how long that will be. Also one more question, do you get it all back, or half? I read online, you dont ever get the full amount.

Everyones situation is different so there's no point paying attention to things like "you don't ever get the full amount"

It all depends on your taxable income and tax paid for the year, and what your total credits and rate band were for the year. Quick rule of thumb is take your total tax credits for the year and multiply them by 5 to get how much you could have earned without paying tax. Anything above that figure to your cut off point figure, you pay tax at 20%.

Example. Total earnings of 10000, PAYE paid 4100. Total tax credits of 3300 euro. Multiply the credits by 5 to get 16500 meaning this person could have earned 16500 without paying tax, which results in all the tax paid being refunded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BrendaMurphy

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/businessopportunities/2891693

Found these guys online. Might be worth taking a look. Tax is a total minefield for me and this seems pretty reasonable. I have sent them on my details!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

BrendaMurphy banned for spamming.

Use your own good judgement about sending your tax details to randoms posting on the internet ....

/moderation

Advertisement