Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really want to do this course..

Options
  • 09-01-2012 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/undergraduate-courses/civil-law.html

Not sure how to go about it. I'm 24, out of work, and want to know can I do this as a mature student? and also how can I get some help funding as I'm out of work? back to education funding? or how!?any help appreciated, thanks alot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Danny911

Do I apply to the college through cao.ie first, wait for word back and then apply to my local authorities for grant help and BTEA or what do I do?

I don't know where to start :confused:

Help please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP,

To quote Douglas Adams: Don't Panic! :)

First of all contact NUI Galwy admissions to clarify the application process for somone in your situation. They will probably tell you to apply via the CAO which you can do online; http://www.cao.ie

CAO closing date is 1st February for 2012 entry and although there is late application to the 1st of May this isn't always open to everyone and Mature Students are better off applying by the February deadline.

There is a bit of work in putting together a Mature Student application so you would need to start the process now if you are to do yourself justice. Also if you apply online by the 20th of January you get a discounted application fee of €30 instead of €40.
    There is great deal of helpful info in the thread sticky 'Tips on Applying as a Mature Student' at the top of the forum and I really suggest you check that out.

As regards funding for education you can check the website http://www.studentfinance.ie which has a lot of information on funding for education.
    As a general rule the main costs that most students need covered are:
    • Tuition fees
    • Registration fees
    • Living expenses.

The main forms of support to cover these are:
    Tuition fees: These are covered at present for your first attempt at third level education. If you hold a previous third level qualification it can affect your eligiblity for free fees. FETAC level 5 or 6 qualifications don't affect third level fee entitlement.

Registration Fees: In September these will rise to €2250 for third level study. You can have these covered if you meet the eligibility requirements under the Student Grant Scheme for the Fee Grant. Details are available on the CIC website: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

Living Expenses The two main forms of assistance with these are either the Back to Education Allowance, BTEA from Dept of Social Protection or the Student Maintenance Grant from the Dept of Education. It is not possible to receive both except in certain special cases. Generally speaking, for someone in receipt of a Job Seekers payment the BTEA can the best option as it is a weekly payment and is paid at the maximum standard rate. The Maintenance grant is paid in installments during your course and the rate you receive depends on your income for the previous tax year and the distance between your residence and your course provider. More details here; http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/social_welfare_payments_and_the_student_maintenance_grant_for_the_2010_11_academic_year.html

I know this is a lot to take in but come back if you have any questions and best of luck with your application.
    :)

Thank you :)

That was really helpful of you :) Can I ask who I can see about covering tuition fees?
    So basically, if I get BTEA I cannot get a grant to cover registration fees or tuition fees or is it just registration it won't cover?

I'm unemployed at the minute and have loans to be paid off and I'm really really tired of not being able to get work and really want to get back learning and do this course, I could really do with every bit of help I could get as regards funding.

It's getting close to closing date for applicants so I really need to get a move on :/

Thank you :):)

Danny911 wrote: »
    Thank you :)

That was really helpful of you :) Can I ask who I can see about covering tuition fees?
    So basically, if I get BTEA I cannot get a grant to cover registration fees or tuition fees or is it just registration it won't cover?

I'm unemployed at the minute and have loans to be paid off and I'm really really tired of not being able to get work and really want to get back learning and do this course, I could really do with every bit of help I could get as regards funding.

It's getting close to closing date for applicants so I really need to get a move on :/

Thank you :):)

You're welcome,
    First of all re the tuition fees if you never attended college before then they are covered automatically, you don't need to do anything. If you want to make sooper dooper sure you can contact the admissions office of the college you are applying to an/or the DES student support unit 057 9325317.
    Please be aware though that although there are free fees at present there is no guarantee that the government will not bring in some form of tuition fee in the next or subsequent budgets.

If you get BTEA you can get the Fee grant subject to meeting the income limits for eligibility to cover registration fees but not the Maintenance grant.

Hope this helps

Its alot clearer to me now, thanks :)

Have e-mailed the mature students officer about applying and for any information she has so as soon as she gets back to me I'll be applying (I know I might not actually get a place) but no harm in trying eh :o:)

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement

Danny911 wrote: »
    Its alot clearer to me now, thanks :)

Have e-mailed the mature students officer about applying and for any information she has so as soon as she gets back to me I'll be applying (I know I might not actually get a place) but no harm in trying eh :o:)

Thanks again :)

Thats the spirit. :) Best of luck with it.

Advertisement