Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just applied to correct mocks

• 09-01-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I just applied to correct mocks with ExamCraft and DEB.

Does anyone know what they pay for Irish and Religion (JC and LC)?

Do correctors have to go and collect scripts each week or can the companies arrange to post them out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Company posts them out. Don't know the price per script

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Never worked for Examcraft, but I know they post them out. DEB post them out if you're around the country but if you're Dublin based I think you collect them at their depot.

Leaving Cert rates for Ag Science (after tax, as that is what they quote you) was €2 for OL and €2.50 for HL from what I remember. Have no idea what other papers were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I correct Irish for DEB every year. They are really easy to deal with. I get scripts posted to my school and then post them back once a week. The price per script varies depending on the level of the paper and you get to correct the tape work for free(although that'll now be inlcuded in paper 1). The prices they quote you will be after tax.
    Have you been accepted to correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Thanks for the advice. I haven't been accepted yet but hopefully I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What are the chances of getting work with them?
    When they say the pay rate is after tax, are you able to access this tax afterwards????
    How can they pay the tax for you when they don't know your credits etc???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

How do you know if you have been accepted? Is there an e-mail or a letter posted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

Just to let people know, the 'after tax' rate they quote you, is based on the lower tax rate. I didn't discover this until I was claiming tax back on something else, and ended up owing revenue because it should have been paid at the higher rate. DEB assume that you are not working fulltime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just to let people know, the 'after tax' rate they quote you, is based on the lower tax rate. I didn't discover this until I was claiming tax back on something else, and ended up owing revenue because it should have been paid at the higher rate. DEB assume that you are not working fulltime.

Yes. DEB do this. Be very careful. They only pay tax at the lower rate so if your wage puts you in the higher bracket you will end up owing tax to revenue. It's very sneaky of them and it's a joke assuming you're only part time when they say they want teachers with experience. I get assessed by revenue every year for tax and two years I corrected for Deb I ended up owing renevue €400 each year. As I teach/ correct a minority subject Deb needed me more than I needed them so I refused to correct until they paid me back the tax I owed the revenue. I got it off them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I see they are charging schools around €6 for the service. I think the teacher gets paid around €2 per paper.
    Are they oversubscribed?
    They should be paying a proper rate and let us look after our own tax.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Whats the chances of an unemployed teacher getting this? Tempted to sign up and see if I could do some corrections...

• Advertisement

DEB always look for experienced teachers to correct. They also get repeat correctors. I have been correcting with them for years now. There are also a lot less schools sending in scripts to be corrected because students cannot afford to pay for it. It is more difficult to get work correcting with them than before but you have nothing to lose b applying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

May as well apply then. With DEB, is it "examiners" you have to register as to stand a chance?

May as well apply then. With DEB, is it "examiners" you have to register as to stand a chance?

Not at all. Apply as a teacher. :)

Advertisement