Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first web site help

Options
  • 09-01-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

so i bought a .ie domain and i was just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as where to start. i was looking at the free website builders but they dont give very much space. i dont mind paying for more space or anything. so has anyone any suggestions as where i can start
    sorry if not posting in the right place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

wordpress it is easy to use there is a facility to load it on line or use it online or joomula

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭lynp27

does it have a easy to use builder. i was looking at wix.com is this one any good it doesnt seem to offer a lot of space only 2.5gb with the premium upgrade. is there anyother similar places that offer more space

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Not that I'd recommend wix, but what kind of website do you need more than 2.5GB of space for?!

Trojan wrote: »
    Not that I'd recommend wix, but what kind of website do you need more than 2.5GB of space for?!
    is there a better one than wix i have a lot of videos and things to put on it sorry i'm new to this

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

is there a better one than wix i have a lot of videos and things to put on it sorry i'm new to this

Don't host your own videos. You don't have the space, your hosting company most likely doesn't have the bandwidht, if you exceed a certain bandwidth a month you will most likely have to have per mb up/downloaded.

Use Youtube. Host your videos on YouTub and put a link or embed the video into your website. Much better way to go.

i checked out a few and one of the premium packages gives unlimited bandwidth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

As said, don't host your own videos. YouTube, Vimeo and the like are flexible enough for your needs.

Also, try Wordpress. It's simple and powerful, and no longer just for Blogging, as it's adaptable, easy to use, and the possibilites are limitless with all the free plugins that are only a few clicks away.

I use a certain Irish webhost which I would post a recommendation of, if I was allowed, that has Wordpress and many others available built-in, that can be installed automatically in minutes, should you be interested in that. Sure, if you're advanced, you can do it yourself, but you may not be, so it may cater to your needs well. Packages start at €4 per month, or there abouts, and have great services and the like. If mod's say I can recommend, I will. Or, if a mod wants to edit the post for me, including a link, I welcome it.

Mods: It's a certain host in Carlow. They've also got a verified representative that post on the forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

We have about 10 GBs of video, but again it's not something we'd host directly on our hosting account. We use a service called BitsOnTheRun, it's a kind of CDN for video delivery - you should also look at Amazon S3 (cheaper). HTH.

Advertisement