Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very bored at internship?

Options
  • 09-01-2012 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello,
    I am doing a fulltime unpaid internship at a major organisation in a field I really want to work in. Although the people are quite nice, I have almost nothing to do most of the time. When I do have something to do, its barely even relevant to the field of work- just administrative jobs here and there.

I have repeatedly politely asked if there is anything I can do to help, but they usually just dismiss it. I am seriously considering asking them if I can just come in 4 days a week instead of 5. That way, I could volunteer at the same time, and get something else on my CV. However I'm afraid that I will seem lazy if I ask for this (these people are very, very, very hardworkers). I could also potentially offend people that will likely play a major role in my future career (its a small industry, and everyone knows everyone). But I'm also afraid that I will leave my internship in a few months with barely anything to tell future employers about. Sorry for being longwinded, but I was just wondering if anyone has any advice about what to do, or is in a similiar situation?
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

How long are you into your internship?

I know when we have had interns before that some departments have been better than others at utilising the resource.
    Its the dilemma with any new graduate ,they cant be trusted with anything of consequence yet without the chance to get stuck into something they cannot learn.Some managers think too short term about the workload of staff to help train somebody in ,when with a little investment they get a whole new resource.

I would stick at it and try to spot things you could do and offer to do them.Also make yourself available to any department you come into contact with.

Also when you say your repeatedly asking have they something for you to do ,how often is repeatedly ?
    And who are you asking ?

Advertisement