Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of opening a nightclub in limerick

Options
  • 09-01-2012 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi I am looking for advice on renting a place in limerick and turning it into a small little kinda disco bar , can anyone give me advice on how to start it up whats needed , license ,etc.. I have an uncle who owns a pub so he can set me up with drink and that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

In the absence of more knowledgeable replies:

Talk to a solicitor but

- Drinks license, ie a license to sell drinks on the premises
    - Public Dancing license.

If the venue your going to already has a nightclub then both of those may already be in place, although the dancing license If I Recall Correctly (IIRC) needs to be renewed every year - at a cost of e500+.

You will also require need (not legally obligated IIRC, but you would be a fool not to have) Public liability.

Big time promotion to get people in the door, naturally enough, as your probably going to have to pay an hourly rate to bar staff, security, maybe a cloakroom, cleaners for before and after, etc. And under no circumstances would I count yourself as one of the "bar staff" or "security" when counting numbers at each point - if your running the event you need to be hands free allnight and not tied down to one particular area. Your security staff will all require licenses from the Private Security Authority, and if working under a firm their firm must also have a license.

Re getting drinks etc your uncle can advise, just if starting small shop around - its far from unheard of to get better deals in the mainstream supermarkets than you would from a cash & carry, especially on spirits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

hyperviper wrote: »
    Hi I am looking for advice on renting a place in limerick and turning it into a small little kinda disco bar , can anyone give me advice on how to start it up whats needed , license ,etc.. I have an uncle who owns a pub so he can set me up with drink and that

There are a couple of large pubs that have closed on O'Connel Street, such as the bank.

If you are thinking of refurbishing a non bar and turning into a bar/nightclub it's going to be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Isn't the licence fee for a late bar/night club an incredible price, as in €500,000 or that kind of cash?

I recall seeing a thread here maybe a year ago and those kinds of figures were being thrown around.

Advertisement