Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition Year

Options
  • 09-01-2012 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

So, I'm obviously a third year and in about three weeks will have the option of doing TY or skipping straight to fifth year. At first I thought it was a complete waste of time and I really wanted to get out of my ****hole of a school. But then I looked at what some of my friends doing TY were doing and it seemed really fun. Computer course, numerous trips and a generally good time. So, I have decided to go for it, but am I wrong? Will it be a waste of a year and I'll hate it or the highlight of my academic life? I'm also worried as I would be 16 going into and I would feel too old doing my LC. I'm also worried as three of my good friends are skipping it and I feel as if we would become distant.

Anyway, what are your opinions of TY? Also, I'm not a waster so I would try and make the most out of it, e.g trips, projects and especially the ECDL as I'm interested in computers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Do it. ECDL is just a Microsoft indoctornation course mind you. If you like teh computronz look into programming and messing about with Linux. The trips and stuff are nice, hopefully ye will do work too though (seriously :p). Also an extra year to mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Oh, I thought the ECDL was proper computing, like coding etc, s'pose I can learn in my own time. I dual boot linux actually, pretty nice. Yeah, the trips are generally good. I'll go for it, I only go to school once and I'll at least try to get the most out of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you approach it with the attitude you seem to have, you'll enjoy it.
    Part of the TY experience is meant to be that the class themselves come up with ideas. If you're the type sits there and moans about it being 'crap' and 'the teachers should do something', then you'll hate it, but go in with plenty of ideas and suggestions and you'll do well - it's a rule that works for life too.

I'd say you'll have a great time. Don't worry about your friends. The ones that 'stick' for many people are the ones made in college and the later years of school.

Yeah, I honestly think I'll get the most out of it. I also think I'll have more time to do new things and have more time for the ones I have now. My friends doing it now have done so much in only 4.5 months. Thanks, I'm definitely doing it now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Troxck wrote: »
    Oh, I thought the ECDL was proper computing, like coding etc, s'pose I can learn in my own time. I dual boot linux actually, pretty nice. Yeah, the trips are generally good. I'll go for it, I only go to school once and I'll at least try to get the most out of it.

Yeah, really sucks about ECDL alright, hopefully first years and younger will get better opportunities in that field. I know there is a programming course for teenagers in UCC, TY would be a perfect time to do it!

Your attitude sounds great (better the mine at least :D), I'll think you'll do fine.

• Advertisement

I'm a bit far from Cork to do a course like that unfortunately... We're been doing the same thing in computers since first year. :rolleyes: Yeah, I think there is a course on in my area and I'll look into it. I heard it can be fun but gets boring halfway through...

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Emma, you have posted to a very old thread, your only posts are in relation to studying abroad and seem to publicly state a preference for a particular company. DO you have a vested interest?
    :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 EmmaMulligan

YES

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you wish to use boards to advertise your site, please contact hello@boards.ie

Advertisement