Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunboyne 4 Mile race 25/03/2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

wow, heat must have really played havoc with times today if Sweeney only won in 20.10, is that correct? Would have expected at least a minute quicker (and the rest) from him.

I'm being told he ran 18.18 which makes more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I'm being told he ran 18.18 which makes more sense.

big time. definitely makes sense, wouldn't expect 20 degree heat to have a massive effect on a 4 mile race time. Nice time too, fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

wow, heat must have really played havoc with times today if Sweeney only won in 20.10, is that correct? Would have expected at least a minute quicker (and the rest) from him.

I'm pretty sure I heard the guy on the loud speaker saying 18:17 as I was passing with a mile or so to go..I could be wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I thought Sarah Treacy won? :confused::confused::confused:

Was comparing Rosemary course record time to Joe Sweeneys time. Well looks like the 18:18 be more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Don't think that is right - think that appeared on Lindie Naughton's blog there earlier - I didnt see his finishing time but from out on the course he was definitely hovering around 18:30 finish pace. ... He had a serious gab on McGinley in 3rd and plenty to spare over Fitzpatrick in 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

The Hammer wrote: »
    Don't think that is right - think that appeared on Lindie Naughton's blog there earlier - I didnt see his finishing time but from out on the course he was definitely hovering around 18:30 finish pace. ... He had a serious gab on McGinley in 3rd and plenty to spare over Fitzpatrick in 2nd.

Unofficial but:

Sweeney: 18.18
    Tom Fitz: 19.02
    McGinley: 19.25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Unofficial but:

Sweeney: 18.18Tom Fitz: 19.02
    McGinley: 19.25
    I was told that time too from one of the guys in the club

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dermo09

If the time was a bit slower than expected, could it be that the race was a little longer than the 4 miles....both my garmin and my phone went long...granted that could be because i was not running on the fastest racing line !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

I thought Sarah Treacy won? :confused::confused::confused:

Sara Treacy did win! Can't wait to see her time later today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Dermo09 wrote: »
    If the time was a bit slower than expected, could it be that the race was a little longer than the 4 miles....both my garmin and my phone went long...granted that could be because i was not running on the fastest racing line !!!!!!

Ugh, hmm this whole Garmin fallacy crops up again ha!:p The vast majority of club races (and certainly a big Athetics Ireland permitted race like Dunboyne) have been measured using either the Jones counter, or at the very least with a trundle wheel, and the course measurer always uses the shortest route possible. Garmins are simple as is not accurate, tree cover, corners, and as you said, the possible wide route you took will all reduce the accuracy of a Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

6 seconds slower than last year! Painful.

Great race though. The heat was nasty on the motorway stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Great race, cant beleive I waited so long to give it a bash. Very much in the vein of raheny 5 miler, seemed like the whole town took part in some way. Cracking weather and great depth of field. Top feed after aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

tunguska wrote: »
    Great race, cant beleive I waited so long to give it a bash. Very much in the vein of raheny 5 miler, seemed like the whole town took part in some way. Cracking weather and great depth of field. Top feed after aswell.

+ 1 on feeling like the whole town taking part.

Passing through the town centre just after the half way point was a great boost. Coming back into the town for the finish was even better. Great community spirit from Dunboyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mattser

Almost there again. Hope the weather stays fine ( but not as hot as last year ). Online reg. is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'm in for this. Is the course fairly flat? BTW, how accurate are these race distances? Are they officially measured by an organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm signed up for this...should a new thread be created though since the 2012 date is in the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I be doing this. Last time i did it was 2 years ago and was one of the best organised and value races i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dingonerd

walshb wrote: »
    I'm in for this. Is the course fairly flat? BTW, how accurate are these race distances? Are they officially measured by an organisation?

Here's the course.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/163069181

Accuracy is spot on
    Fairly flat
    Very good race. Very well organised. Enjoy

fletch wrote: »
    I'm signed up for this...should a new thread be created though since the 2012 date is in the title?

Yea, you're right. Only thought about that after. Not very good at these interwebbie things, so go ahead.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »

The distances/times are spot on. It is a fairly flat run, but the first mile past the Dunboyne Castle Hotel is on an upward gradient, so pace yourself, and just think of the goodies after. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Might give this one a blast. Looks like one where you could get a decent time.

Advertisement