Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self A.I.

• 09-01-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Just wondering do people think it would be a good idea to go on an A.I. course. Is it worthwhile or should I stick with the A.I. man

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

very much worth it even if your not successful at doing it-you will learn so much as to handling cows(ie cycling cows-dirty cows etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

i think there was a thread a while back that said its only economically worthwhile if u have 80 cows or over but i'l probably do this course sometime in the future as our AI man never has any of the bulls i want and doesnt know the names of half them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

If you have enough cows, it's deffo the best investment you will ever make. Very few things in farming will give you a return like using the best genetics you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oooge1

i would recommend it.. i started three years ago and admittedly my first year was rubbish. but since that i haven't looked back since.... its great to be able to pick your own bulls and been able to ai the cow when the time is right and not have her waiting in the yard for hours for the ai man, is a bonus in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I did it 3 years ago. Happy I did it but I find it impossible to do heifers which is what I really want to do. I was able to do them when I was training but after 8 or 9 months of having the gun and the gloves thrown up on the shelf I got rusty and to be honest dont have the confidence to do it now. Its all well and good to be using the best but if 2 or 3 cows dont go in calf your a lot worse off then before regardless of quality. I would want to go back and do another day or 2 training again to get back into the swing of it to be honest, I did about 15 cows the first year and they were all in calf after max 3 services. What im trying to get at and not to put you off but you would want to be doing a good few over the year to keep in practice, in my case when I went doing the cows the second year I knew it wasnt as natural to me as it was the first and didnt do as many because I was afraid they wouldnt go in calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

I did it 3 years ago. Happy I did it but I find it impossible to do heifers which is what I really want to do. I was able to do them when I was training but after 8 or 9 months of having the gun and the gloves thrown up on the shelf I got rusty and to be honest dont have the confidence to do it now. Its all well and good to be using the best but if 2 or 3 cows dont go in calf your a lot worse off then before regardless of quality. I would want to go back and do another day or 2 training again to get back into the swing of it to be honest, I did about 15 cows the first year and they were all in calf after max 3 services. What im trying to get at and not to put you off but you would want to be doing a good few over the year to keep in practice, in my case when I went doing the cows the second year I knew it wasnt as natural to me as it was the first and didnt do as many because I was afraid they wouldnt go in calf.
    first post
    started doing diy ai three years ago.only doing 20-25 cows per year but as im part time farming i found calling ai company totally unworkable.going well for me.can be frustrating starting off, when i would get beaten doing one i used to let her across the yard to my limousin bull.i found it good to practise on my cull cows in november to get my hand in again. i am using bb bull ryp 13 cows served since december first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

alot of the ai companies do refresher training days. not sure what cost is but is there if you feel the need.
    i know its done in macroom mart for example.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 33 cowmilk

Whats a good way to get AI training & experience?

cowmilk wrote: »

usually plenty ads in the journal each week.
    otherwise could contact the your local AI company/supplier and ask them whom is doing DIY training in the area

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 33 cowmilk

Any recommendations of good AI training centres? Where to get good info?
    Is the ICBF a good info resource?

• Advertisement

Any recommendations of good AI training centres? Where to get good info?
    Is the ICBF a good info resource?

Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Looney1 wrote: »
    Self A.I.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Looney1 wrote: »
    Just wondering do people think it would be a good idea to go on an A.I. course. Is it worthwhile or should I stick with the A.I. man

Are you happy with the service you are getting at the moment? if you are keep your money in your pocket.

If not then concider it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

I am also thinking of doing an AI course.

How long is the course and how much?

I am also thinking of doing an AI course.

How long is the course and how much?

think I heard a figure like 1200e last year but that includes everything like you nitro tank and guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

Got a quote for 1200 as well for the course and a "right" pot there a few weeks back. Must be from the same crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Dont forget to factor in the 4 top-ups every year with nitrogen plus you have to pay for the straws even if you dont like the calves and stop using them.

The temptation is to go for the next big thing every year and end up with a pot full of straws

Dont forget to factor in the 4 top-ups every year with nitrogen plus you have to pay for the straws even if you dont like the calves and stop using them.

The temptation is to go for the next big thing every year and end up with a pot full of straws

what sort of anual cost are you looking at for topping up your flask?

If your foolish enough to overstock you flask... your just well... foolish really.
    maybe there is an app for that :rolleyes: :D

Advertisement