Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can I clean my Merkur Progress?

• 09-01-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭

Over the past year or so our water has become very hard - I've noticed a lot of scum in the sink while shaving. As a result my Merkur Progress has become a bit tatty and needs a good cleaning. I seem to reacall reading something about using borax on an American website, but AFAIK this is not available here. Is there an alternative?

Thanks,
    B

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

some say scrubbing bubbles (not sure what the alternative is in Ireland!), firm toothbrush and alcohol. Some also say boiling the razor for 5 minutes will remove grime.

I have yet to clean my Progress so all of the above is just from what I've read.
    EDIT: I do give the razor a decent run under hot water and wipe down and dry all three removable parts after every shave and I have soft water in my area so scale or soap scum isn't an issue.

Actually, here you go for a definitive guide from those at badger and blade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Great stuff - thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I just use hot soapy water and a stiff tooth/nail brush.

Merker 34c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I just use hot soapy water and a stiff tooth/nail brush.

Merker 34c

off topic I know but Genghiz what is the 34C like? Is it an aggressive razor? How similar is it to the Progress, say at setting 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

@Genghiz Thanks. I used a nail brush, washing up liquid and a fair deal of elbow gerease. The bits that I could access came up nice and shiny. I finished it off with a soaking in iso-propanol for good measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Ultrasonic jewellery cleaners come in a range of prices, but a small one will do wonders for a safety..

Might get one on adverts.ie or ebay cheap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

MadsL wrote: »
    Ultrasonic jewellery cleaners come in a range of prices, but a small one will do wonders for a safety..

That's what I use, plus an old toothbrush and soap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

off topic I know but Genghiz what is the 34C like? Is it an aggressive razor? How similar is it to the Progress, say at setting 3?

I find the 34c relatively mild. I keep one in my travel bag whilst my go to razor is a short handled Progress. I'd compare the 34c to the Progress on 1.5 to 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

To my eternal shame I must admit... it's my only safety razor...

BUT
    I have been looking at a Futur or a Progress.

Advertisement