Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Registering toddler for primary school but where!

• 09-01-2012 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm mum to a 3 year old and want to start registering her for schools. Her dad and I are both training in our careers and don't know where our base will be at that time, can I register her in multiple schools, does her school need to be in a specific catchment area of my address? I'm in mayo x

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Most rural schools don't really restrict enrolement ot a particular area as they tend not to be over-subscribed. I would ring any school you are interested in and see what their policy is.

We operate siblings and 1st come,1st served and would have three times
    the number of children looking for available places, but we are in a town.

It's possible to put a child's name down for a few schools,but it is only fair to the school that you let them know you will not be taking the place as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Thanks, I want to register her in a few places but we should know this time next year where we'll be so I can inform the other schools then. First time mum so finding it all a bit daunting! Now the question is whether to send her in 2013 or 2014, 4 and a half versus 5 and a half. She's very bright and big for her age already, but I know from talking to teacher friends that emotional development is so much better in the kids that are left that bit longer?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Girls as a broad rule of thumb, tend to be more mature than boys at that age. I always think older is better,very few regret waiting a year,they are just so much more able to cope with all kinds of things that happen in school daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I think the closer to five the better for children.

Schools operate individual enrollment policies. For example, there are two near us. We have a strong preference for the Educate Together as we are not religious and its always oversubscribed so we'll be filling out an application when our baby arrives this summer to give us the best chance of getting in. The other school is Catholic and only takes applications the September before the next year's enrollment (i.e. in 2012 for 2013 pupils) and also requires children to be five on 1 April for a September enrollment. You need to check with the schools themselves to see what the policies are.

Advertisement