Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone 4 / iTunes / USB

• 09-01-2012 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Hello ya'll,

My iPhone is rightly pissing me off now.

It will connect to my computer and be picked up as a Digital camera but iTunes will not do anything on 2 different laptops ! one never had iTunes and was completely fresh.

on the laptop i normally use i tried everything.

Hard resetting Iphone.

Completly uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes - no joy !

went into admin and services and stopped and started both apple phone and ipod service - nothing.

so i'm all out here and this is pissing me off greatly.

Is it possible the USB cable i'm using is bogey ? it's not an official Iphone USB but i think possibly belkin and takes a bit just to get the phone to get a connection to just charge.

i tried a proper iphone charger and it charges straight away.

anyways ,

any suggestions or so on ?

thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

robbie_998 wrote: »
    ....i tried a proper iphone charger and it charges straight away....

Can you not use the usb lead from the iphone charger? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Can you not use the usb lead from the iphone charger?

im sorry i phrased that wrong.

what i meant was i tried an official iphone usb cable to the laptop and its instant.

the cable that comes with the iphone itself insted of a cheap knock off replacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Far and away the most common cause of something like this is your firewall is probably blocking communication between the AppleMobileDeviceService and/or iTunes. Make sure that they both have full permissions to speak to each other.

Far and away the most common cause of something like this is your firewall is probably blocking communication between the AppleMobileDeviceService and/or iTunes. Make sure that they both have full permissions to speak to each other.

added to exdceptions and all sorts and even completely disabled all firewalls and nothing.

trying a proper Iphone cable and no joy

Still no joy.

went as far as uninstalling and re-installing all my usb drivers and disabling all firewalls and running itunes in admin mode and nothing.

i noted 2 different items though in devices.

Apple iPhone
    Rob's iPhone

both under different headings and iTunes will not pick it up at all no matter what i do to it !

anybody please ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Hello ya'll,

My iPhone is rightly pissing me off now.

It will connect to my computer and be picked up as a Digital camera but iTunes will not do anything on 2 different laptops ! one never had iTunes and was completely fresh.
    If its the same on 2 different laptops then Its a problem with the iPhone and nothing to do with itunes/firewalls/drivers/etc.
    I've seen a similar problem and the only way to fix it was to put the phone in DFU mode, the phone was then recognised in itunes and I then restored. Unfortunately If you haven't backed up in a while you will loose all your information
    If that doesn't work it could be a damaged dock connector, if you look into the dock connector are any pins obviously damaged or green?

If its the same on 2 different laptops then Its a problem with the iPhone and nothing to do with itunes/firewalls/drivers/etc.
    I've seen a similar problem and the only way to fix it was to put the phone in DFU mode, the phone was then recognised in itunes and I then restored.
    If that doesn't work it could be a damaged dock connector

Ok i'll try putting it into DFU mode and see if that'll pick it up.

seems a bit tricky to get into that mode though !

i hope its not the connector in the phone as the cable i have is running fine picking it up instantly on the computer and all.

but will try that now and report back !

To get into DFU mode
    with phone turned on and plugged into USB
    Hold in home and pwr and count to 10, then let go of the pwr button but continue to hold the home button for maybe 10-20 seconds, it should pop up in windows/itunes to tell you its in DFU mode

To get into DFU mode
    with phone turned on and plugged into USB
    Hold in home and pwr and count to 10, then let go of the pwr button but continue to hold the home button for maybe 10-20 seconds, it should pop up in windows/itunes to tell you its in DFU mode

i must ask is it possible for the iphone to go into DFU mode and iTunes not pick it up still ?

my phone is black and nothing i do makes it work and itunes does nothing still.

Download tiny umbrella here to kick out of DFU mode if holding in Pwr+home for 10-20 seconds doesn't get you out.
    If iTunes doesn't recognise in DFU mode its a hardware fault, Cable, dock connector, logic board, etc.
    My bet would be dock connector got wet/damp/pin damaged somehow.

• Advertisement

Download tiny umbrella here to kick out of DFU mode if holding in Pwr+home for 10-20 seconds doesn't get you out.
    If iTunes doesn't recognise in DFU mode its a hardware fault, Cable, dock connector, logic board, etc.
    My bet would be dock connector got wet/damp/pin damaged somehow.

i got it out of DFU mode without using tiny umberella

held both buttons for about 15 seconds and it worked.

still no joy on the cenntion though.

im looking at the dock connector in the iphone and it doesnt look the healthiest i must say myself.

what are the chances of getting something like that fixed ?

or what if it is worse than that ?

just if this helps any further.

I can - Charge the battery on iphone through usb to laptop and access all photo's

I cannot - Access Iphone in Itunes and canned have personal hotspot for internet.

really hoping this isint too bad.

I believe i am out of warrenty !

Managed to get it working again,

actually turned out to be my laptop (not even bothered to look at the other laptop)

did a system restore to about 3 weeks ago and all is good now.

Thanks again to all for the help.

really appreciate it !

Advertisement