Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my chances of becoming employer sponsered?

Options
  • 09-01-2012 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I am a qualified Plumber and am heading to Perth next month on a WHV, I am hopping to get sponsored by an employer and am wondering what my chances are and how I can best prepare myself before I go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hi and welcome to boards.ie .. the first thing you should do is read the FAQ - esp the visa section.

also do a few searches on the forum as this question has been asked and answered a few times before.

Best thing to do is get all your paperwork before you leave Ireland.
    any trade papers, employment letters, pay slips etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8 crow.bar

Thanks, plenty of information there, does anyone know what the labour market is like in Perth and W.A. at the moment? Will I find it difficult to find employment in construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

crow.bar wrote: »
    Thanks, plenty of information there, does anyone know what the labour market is like in Perth and W.A. at the moment? Will I find it difficult to find employment in construction?

Perth is booming.
    Employment I guess depends on your skill set ... If you are good you'll find work.

You can also work on construction in regional areas and gain a 2nd WHV if you struggle to find a 457

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Roberteve wrote: »
    Hi I'm a qualified plumber from Ireland living in Perth been here about 6 months now. You have little or no chance of getting a job as a plumber in western Australia the rules in this state are unreal no one will touch u if you don't have a WA plumbing licence and for some reason they don't recognise the Irish plumbers apprenticeship even though all the other states do u have to do training courses and a load of paper work and cost a good few $ i gave up on the idea of working as a plumber here like loads of other lads I know. Melbourne is your best bet.

No offence mate but if I had to have listened to people like you back in 2008 when I first got to Perth I would probably be back in Ireland on the dole. I'm am electrician not a plumber. Its is actually harder to get an electrical licence than a plumbers licence in WA and I still got it. I also know a few plumbers that hace got their plumbers licences so it can,t be as hard as you make it out to be. I'm not saying its easy but it is possible to get one.
    OP If you are coming over with the intention of saying longer than a couple of years then why not consider other visa options rather than sponsorship. In my opinion the 457 visa is one of the worst visas to be on because it ties you to one employer. It would be worth your while getting in touch with a good migration agent and discussing your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dodgyknees

aido79 wrote: »
    No offence mate but if I had to have listened to people like you back in 2008 when I first got to Perth I would probably be back in Ireland on the dole. I'm am electrician not a plumber. Its is actually harder to get an electrical licence than a plumbers licence in WA and I still got it. I also know a few plumbers that hace got their plumbers licences so it can,t be as hard as you make it out to be. I'm not saying its easy but it is possible to get one.
    OP If you are coming over with the intention of saying longer than a couple of years then why not consider other visa options rather than sponsorship. In my opinion the 457 visa is one of the worst visas to be on because it ties you to one employer. It would be worth your while getting in touch with a good migration agent and discussing your options.
    hi im a plumber gas installer in ireland not qualified plumber but 23 years expieience but im self employed here but just seems to be getting harder to make a living i have friends in perth who are on to me about this mining visa were your sponsored for four year and i believe the money is good do you know of anybody who has gone into the mining ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

dodgyknees wrote: »
    hi im a plumber gas installer in ireland not qualified plumber but 23 years expieience but im self employed here but just seems to be getting harder to make a living i have friends in perth who are on to me about this mining visa were your sponsored for four year and i believe the money is good do you know of anybody who has gone into the mining ?
    there is no such visa. It is hard to get sponsorship at all out here but to get sponsored in the mines would be almost impossible. The union has alot to say about what happens in the mines and they're not too keen on people being sponsored.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

there is no such visa. It is hard to get sponsorship at all out here but to get sponsored in the mines would be almost impossible. The union has alot to say about what happens in the mines and they're not too keen on people being sponsored.

The visa he is refering to is a 457 sponsorship visa, it is for up to 4 years.
    He is mistaken that is is mining specific, but that's not really important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 needaholiday

Hi Aido, I`m an electrician as well and I was thinking of going to Perth soon on the WHV. I have all the paper work sorted out (I think). Just have to wait on a letter of approval from energy safety via email to attend a course.

How long does it take to get your licence after the 2 week course is completed?:confused:

Is it also hard for sparks to get sponsorship? A bit freaked out as I was hoping to bring the family over. :eek:

Any advice would be helpfull, I am still humming and hawing on what to do.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 crow.bar

well been here in perth four months now, getting my plumbing license was straightforward but time consuming, i would advise any plumbers heading over here to contact the plumbers licensing board before leaving home.
    Started doing some laboring work trough an agency when i first got here, money was fine and it was good fun.
    When my license was issued three weeks ago I started looking for plumbing work. Only took me 2 days to find a job with a small company. So far its going fine, enjoying the weather and the work.
    They have said they will be happy to sponsor me in a couple of months if they are happy with my performance.
    Its all worked out well so far, I would advise anyone sitting at home, deciding what to do to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

well been here in perth four months now, getting my plumbing license was straightforward but time consuming, i would advise any plumbers heading over here to contact the plumbers licensing board before leaving home.
    Started doing some laboring work trough an agency when i first got here, money was fine and it was good fun.
    When my license was issued three weeks ago I started looking for plumbing work. Only took me 2 days to find a job with a small company. So far its going fine, enjoying the weather and the work.
    They have said they will be happy to sponsor me in a couple of months if they are happy with my performance.
    Its all worked out well so far, I would advise anyone sitting at home, deciding what to do to go for it.

Well done man..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Just to add. It's pretty vital that you can drive. So get a liscence before you leave home If you don't have 1.
    Once you go to the trouble getting you plumbing liscence ie. time and money. My m8 spent in excess of 2000 dollers to get set up i think. You should then pick up a job pretty handy. But it's not as easy as people make out and sponsorship is hard come by. The construction sector in Perth is perticulary quiet at the moment. Especially in domestic works. And I can't see it picking up any time soon due to the fear the euro zone is casting over everything.

I'd look into regional migration sponsorship if I was you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good man! Note to WHV folks, this is how its done.

Advertisement