Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So looks like we need to learn some manners......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Don't think that is aimed at Anglo migrants

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

Yes I can see how you would infer that, we wouldn't need cultural education as we have a similar culture, but I wanted to see what other people on here think of this.
    The bit that got my goat was the need to teach migrants to queue, I found Australians to be lacking in queuing skills myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Brndn wrote: »
    I found Australians to be lacking in queuing skills myself...
    lol! come to Adelaide and watch all the sheep wait for the little green man before crossing the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

lol! come to Adelaide and watch all the sheep wait for the little green man before crossing the road!

You see that in Perth too. But I do remember someone on here looking for advice after getting hit with an on the spot fine for crossing an empty road at 5am, when the little red man was lit up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

sudzs wrote: »
    when the little red man was lit up!
    yeah, i've almost been done myself. The accent and acting like a complete tourist helps convince the po-po they don't need the paperwork!

to be fair about that, the law is the law, regardless of whether you agree with it or not. When the red man is there, it's illegal to cross. I've found my salvation though in the road rules (page 244 onwards) where you will find there are no specific laws against jaywalking, as long as you're not near (more than 20m away from) any pedestrian lights! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

Ya I also dont think that is aimed at Irish/English. It might not hurt though, I def agree with the deodrant thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

hussey wrote: »
    Don't think that is aimed at Anglo/Celt migrants

Fixed;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

If the same thing happened in Ireland, everyone would scream racism and she would be forced to resign from her position!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

CatchLight wrote: »
    If the same thing happened in Ireland, everyone would scream racism and she would be forced to resign from her position!

You mean like this:
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/mp-under-fire-telling-migrants-to-use-deodorant-ridiculous-20120110-1psna.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I been trapped near people on crowded trains and I don't think it's a deodorant thing, it's that they need to take a bath more often.

Aussies are no good in the near queue, but we're pretty good in the far queue. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I once got a taxi from Melbourne Airport to the city and I felt like the driver needed 1/2 pound Semtex never mind a can Lynx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

One of the 6:30 trash current affairs shows has a bit on backpackers up to no good in your hood tonight I think. Cant recall if its ACA or the other one- they are both such an appalling excuse for news they kind of melt into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

hussey wrote: »

34% think her comments are reasonable :eek:

I know Australia is a very conservative country, but I would agree that she would be 100% forced out of her job in the UK or Ireland, never mind have a third of the people support such sweeping xenophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

endabob1 wrote: »

I know Australia is a very conservative country, but I would agree that she would be 100% forced out of her job in the UK or Ireland, never mind have a third of the people support such sweeping xenophobia.

They call a spade a spade here. In Sydney they have police units called the Middle Eastern and Asian Unit. In London they have a similar squad targeting Jamaican Yardie crime, if they called it the Black Crime Unit....holy god :pac:

Sure only the other month a WA MP (or was it the WA PM) referred to an MP of Irish heritage as a leprachan numerous times.

One of the 6:30 trash current affairs shows has a bit on backpackers up to no good in your hood tonight I think. Cant recall if its ACA or the other one- they are both such an appalling excuse for news they kind of melt into one.

Looked it up there

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/latest/article/-/12537772/backpacker-troublemakers/

Didn't mention any Irish, Brits & French for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

So 2 out of 3 people don't think her comments are in line with the thoughts of a nation, Australia is growing up then.

Do your self a favour and google the former Mayor of Nass and his comments on Nigerians and see the support he got. But wait, no need really there is no racism in Ireland.

The Aussie wrote: »
    So 2 out of 3 people don't think her comments are in line with the thoughts of a nation, Australia is growing up then.

Do your self a favour and google the former Mayor of Nass and his comments on Nigerians and see the support he got. But wait, no need really there is no racism in Ireland.

It not the Nigerians but the Chinese he's after

[/QUOTE]

But I blame the Greeks

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

The Aussie wrote: »

I'm well aware of the racism levels in Ireland, but a Mayor of Naas is a tiny fish in a tinier pond & he resigned over his comments.

He is not a member of national or even provincial government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

They call a spade a spade here.
    Never heard the term "spade" when I was there, plenty of ******, wop and abo bandied about though. Seems to affect the long termers on here too, they cant go two posts without mentioning race. Horrible country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I'm well aware of the racism levels in Ireland, but a Mayor of Naas is a tiny fish in a tinier pond & he resigned over his comments.

He is not a member of national or even provincial government

And there I was thinking he was an elected member of government/council (a politician is a politician) coming out publicly with a overtly racist comment, funny that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Liberal party....need I say more?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

mandrake04 wrote: »
    It not the Nigerians but the Chinese he's after

But I blame the Greeks

haha classic

Advertisement