Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help setting up Netgear Powerline Wireless extender

Options
  • 09-01-2012 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've been using Netgear Poweline extenders for three years now to acess the internet around my house (for laptop and PS3) from my wired Netgear router. I tried wireless routers in the past but they just wouldn't work in my house (its a very long house and has a lot of foil backed insulation in the walls which might have interfered with the wifi signal:confused:).

Anyways, while the powerline plugs have been very reliable and faultless, you have to be close to a plug (with an ethernet cable connected between the powerline plug and the laptop - cue kids tripping over it :rolleyes:)to use the laptop for instance and so I can't use it at the kitchen table for example. So I bought a wireless Netgear Powerline wireless extender which is supposedely plug and play and creates a wifi hotspot anywhere its plugged in...........or thats the theory anyhow:rolleyes:. Four hours later and my Macbook Pro is "seeing" the Netgear wifi plug but it isn't getting a signal from it. Similarly, my iphone is also showing the wifi plug but it can't connect to the internet through this plug.

Can anyone help please as I was suckered by all the glowing reviews on Amazon and other places that stated that this plug was "plug and play", which it most certainly is not:mad:

Here it is btw: http://amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Plugged-Wireless-N-Powerline-Extender/dp/B004EDIAFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326140606&sr=8-1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I contacted NETGEAR's online support and they advised me that my existing powerplugs were incompatible with the new wireless extender. They advised me to plug the new wireless extender into the router directly to create a local wifi hotspot and this worked. The downside is that the wifi signal won't stretch to the end of my house so I'll have to purchase a new compatible powerplug to allow me to move the wireless extender to the other end of the house. Ah well, at least I know what i have to do to get the wifi signal i need.

Advertisement