Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bootcamp Ireland anyone??

• 09-01-2012 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

well guys,
    i know theres bout a million and 1 bootcamps around at the moment but which is best in dublin?? iv looked at bootcamp ireland and think ill start this one.. anyone else know anything bout it?
    cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Pixie Girl

I did the bootcamp in Limerick for 3 months last year... really enjoyed it! Never been to one in Dublin though so can't advise on that but the one in Limerick was really tough and its a great way to get fit outdoors and meet people. Be prepared to get covered in mud though if its ever raining, I used to come home destroyed most evenings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I found Bootcamp a great way to get out in the fresh air and motivate you to exercise. The sessions are great, fairly varied (depending on your instructor) and it's a good way to get back into fitness. It will only get you so far though .. but it's definitely a great start. For me it was a great intro into running and I entered a few 5/8km events after starting with them.

Which location are you going to go to? Wesley college and the one near Cournelscourt were my favs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I've been doing bootcamp Ireland for about 6 months and find it great!

Before I joined I was a little skeptical about it as I had a decent level of fitness beforehand and thought this might not push me really....but I was very wrong! You go at your own pace for most of it.

I've found that I've built up a lot of strength and toning over the last 6 months.

And once you've paid for it, you force yourself to go even if its lashing rain.

Bushy park is my favourite spot although we're in Terenure College now til Spring time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭blueshark22

messi1985 wrote: »
    well guys,
    i know theres bout a million and 1 bootcamps around at the moment but which is best in dublin?? iv looked at bootcamp ireland and think ill start this one.. anyone else know anything bout it?
    cheers in advance

I've been doing it since last march and couldn't recommend it enough , good instructors who push you but recognise your limits , great buzz there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

What out for their nutrition advise they havent a clue what they are on about

I saw one of their clients recommended diets and they include bread 3 times a day , once before training with jam if you are hungry and a post work out meal of soup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

dario28 wrote: »
    What out for their nutrition advise they havent a clue what they are on about

I saw one of their clients recommended diets and they include bread 3 times a day , once before training with jam if you are hungry and a post work out meal of soup

I'd have to agree with this.

I've a friend that goes and the 'advice' she was given was shockingly bad in relation to diet.

She's 175lbs and 5'8 and they told her bf% was 26%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Check it out -

You should become a fan of the Bootcamp Ireland Facebook page as we are always giving healthy and tasty tips on what you should be eating before and after training. If you cannot find exactly what you are looking for, just leave a comment on the facebook page and members are always really good at leaving feedback about what works for them.

As a general guide for the days when you are training you need to be eating a good breakfast porridge or cereal, brown bread toasted and a glass of juice. Lunch needs to be your main meal of the day when you're training and you need to be taking in carbohydrates and protein at lunch time, brown pasta, brown rice, chicken or lean meat would be good. If you are hungry before your Bootcamp session take something light at least an hour before the session, bit of toast and jam or fruit. After the session you should have a banana in your car to refuel immediately after the session, if you do not you will become hungry and crave the wrong types of food. When you get home a bowel of soup with brown bread, a brown bread sandwich or something light before bedtime will keep your hunger at bay.

On the water and dehydration issue you need to be trying to drink up to 2 litres of water everyday, get into the habit of taking a glass of water with every meal and have a bottle in your car and desk at work and just keep sipping throughout the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I attended Bootcamp Ireland classes in both North and South Dublin for about a year in all. I found them excellent, very keen to help you out and excellent motivators. My wife also attended and found them the same.

I am not one to give endorsements lightly, but I must say I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Bootcamp and thank them for a big part in where I am today.

I did Bootcamp Ireland in Cabinteely the eyar before last and really enjoyed it and found the exercises and the variety (different instructor each class) brilliant but definitely agree with the nutritional advice. I was told "to have a big sandwich" on the days I train!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

Take bootcamp for what it is: A way to exercise in a group using varying exercises over the course of an hour.

Want to sort your diet, talk to a nutritionist or someone with previous successes with clients.

A spoon of jam = spoon of sugar

• Advertisement

Oh and if you want my opinion on the best bootcamp in Dublin, it's the one run by Damien Maher in Be fit for life performance centre in Sandyford. It's absolutely fantastic. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. You get 4 full on training sessions per week in a state of the art gym. Classes usually about 45 mins and then for the 15 mins at the end of each class you look at your food diaries and talk about nutrition and getting the best out of your training. You get diet sheets, shopping lists, weekly weigh ins, monthly fitness tests etc and plenty of other bits that you don't get with some of the other ones.

Be warned, it's not cheap and it's seriouslyhard core! Don't sign up online, contact them because I think they do like 6/12 month deals.

http://www.befitforlifebootcamp.com/

Oh and I don't have any affiliation to them at all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Oh and if you want my opinion on the best bootcamp in Dublin, it's the one run by Damien Maher in Be fit for life performance centre in Sandyford. It's absolutely fantastic. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. You get 4 full on training sessions per week in a state of the art gym. Classes usually about 45 mins and then for the 15 mins at the end of each class you look at your food diaries and talk about nutrition and getting the best out of your training. You get diet sheets, shopping lists, weekly weigh ins, monthly fitness tests etc and plenty of other bits that you don't get with some of the other ones.

Be warned, it's not cheap and it's seriouslyhard core! Don't sign up online, contact them because I think they do like 6/12 month deals.

I have no doubt this is better, but I you have to admit, very few couch potatoes would go from 0 to this straight away. Bootcamp imo is a nice lead into giving the unfit the confidence to go do something like this.

As someone else said it is what it is. btw, I am in no way affiliated, I just enjoyed it a lot and think its worth trying.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I have no doubt this is better, but I you have to admit, very few couch potatoes would go from 0 to this straight away. Bootcamp imo is a nice lead into giving the unfit the confidence to go do something like this.

As someone else said it is what it is. btw, I am in no way affiliated, I just enjoyed it a lot and think its worth trying.

Actually nearly all the people in the class have started from ground zero and it most cases have lost serious body fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭movingtotheuk

I am a little confused by the joining process. Do you just drop along to any session? Or is it on a rota?

What about a person looking to make friends/meet new people and not so interested in getting fit???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 F1T

Bootcamp is soooo last season - really bad feedback from friends who have tried it...and won't be going back...life can be tough enough besides paying to be shouted at for pleasure! Also felt they didn't know what they were talking about at all when it came to nutrition advice so overall was a waste of time paying for something that is free anyway?! (running around our local parks?!) At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!!!
    Word on the street is that for a no fuss proper military workout this (www.militaryfitness.ie) is the new place to go.
    If you want to hang out with the beautiful people go to www.crossfit.ie - some seriously fit bods here!
    Extra baby weight - go to www.yourfitness.ie. Not a glam environment but FAST results and they are building up quite a clientele!You might see some familiar celebs/models here - if its good enough for them...

For 1 - 1 personal training these guys www.karlhenry.ie and John Belton(No 17 Merrion Square) really have the magic wands! A bit more expensive but amazing if you want to see fast results and get nutrition advice also - perfect pre-wedding - a friend of mine went down 3 dress sizes in 4 months. Best of luck!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Interesting first post. You've obviously never been if you think it consists of "paying to be shouted at for pleasure!" and "running around our local parks"

also, it's a fitness program nothing to do with nutrition so a bit confused by that comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

messi1985 wrote: »
    well guys,
    cheers in advance

Sorry OP but when I hear bootcamp I automatically think of someone looking for a "quick fix", or alternatively likes a group environment to work out in. If its the latter I would recommend South Dublin Strength and Conditioning, (http://www.southdublinsc.ie/) they have group classes for beginners and intermediate or theres one to one personal training if thats what you might be interested in. All of the types of workouts they do for all levels are posted on the page after each work out with pictures so you know exactly what to expect if thats the route you want to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BCJL

I've attended "Bootcamp Ireland" ( not to be confused with the various other ones) in various locations in Dublin over the last few years.

The instructors are mainly army or air core instructors and very good at what they do. Some are more hardcore than others, some like to make you run more, others prefer exercises with sprint intervals. Sometimes they bring equipment to spice things up, so every class is slightly different.

It's a great way of getting fit, and the social nights are usually good craic!

The first month I found very tough. I was very unfit when I started, ( though I'd been going to the gym for four months regularly and lost some weight ) but it does get easier and in the bigger locations (usually the Parks like Phoenix or Bushy) they have large class numbers of all levels. Sometimes they have two classes when they're particularly large (i.e. two instructors, one class for advanced and one for intermediate/beginner).

If you haven't done it give it a shot, it's better than sitting in watching T.V. on a summer evening. Nothing beats sprinting across a park as an adult with forty or more other people all trying to reach the same spot, then being asked to do it again!

I'm not affiliated in any way, but I've gotten a lot out of it and it's been a stepping stone for me into other things I wouldn't have considered before, such as road and adventure races.

Contact them in their office before you turn up though, they are quite friendly, but particular about how you sign up / register. I don't think you can just turn up.

You don't know what you're missing until you give it a try at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Oxman

Hi, Like d 1st poster, I had never done any bootcamps before(just gym workouts) but did a trial bootcamp class with this italian guy called mauro in d phoenix park 2weeks ago and found it very good. Tough going but didn't feel i was holding any1 back coz he gave alternative exercises for weaker/stronger students..
    This guy only takes small groups so it was nice n personal and friendly.
    Think the name of the company was fit power dublin.
    Didn't talk much abt nutrition, but it was only a trial class so maybe d real courses go into more detail..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 25215615

What I have heard about Boot-camp Ireland is it's just a glorified running club, but I haven't actually tried it ..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

25215615 wrote: »
    What I have heard about Boot-camp Ireland is it's just a glorified running club, but I haven't actually tried it ..

Haha yeah I've heard similar. My big issue with that style of training is that it just seems to be about making someone feel tired/fatigued. Like that's not hard... go do 20 minutes of burpees, come back tell me how you feel.

Its very hard to get a good training effect for that volume of people with limited equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Oxman

Hanley wrote: »
    25215615 wrote: »

Haha yeah I've heard similar. My big issue with that style of training is that it just seems to be about making someone feel tired/fatigued. Like that's not hard... go do 20 minutes of burpees, come back tell me how you feel.

Its very hard to get a good training effect for that volume of people with limited equipment.

In fairness, I reckon it's nice to have a no-frills, no-fancy-pants way of keeping in shape. Zumba and new fad **** scares me.. It's not like the human body evolves so quickly that it needs a totally new training method every 2years..
    I kno what you mean about large groups though-- don't see how 1instructor can keep an eye on 20people..
    The bootcamp i tried was good because the guy has a limit of 8 people. His name was Mauro (can't remember surname, sorry!) and he's on www.fitpowerdublin.com.. There can't be too many Italian bootcamp instructors out there, so he should be easy enough to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Im starting with Keepfit.ie this eve. Was recomended by my housemate. She started there in Feb and has toned up a lot!

Let the torture begin.

IL let you guys know how I get on.

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

I’ve been going to the UK version of the militaryfitness.ie one for the last year and I find it excellent. The classes are split up into 3 different ability groups so it’s always tough no matter how fit you are. It is mostly endurance-based, which might not suit everyone, but the heavier lifting stuff gets replicated fairly well through partnered resistance work. Most of the people who go seem to be into long distance running, triathlons or a team sport rather than anything where getting big is the goal.

The social nights are always good, and we end up taking part in races and other events together every couple of months or so, as well as organising regular weekends away hiking/surfing etc, long runs to a pub, cycling trips etc.

I wouldn’t go there for nutrition advice though. A lot of the instructors do know their stuff but it’s through personal interest, not something they’ve necessarily been trained in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I did a 1 week trial of this bootcamp last month and have been going since and I found it to be very much as you've described i.e. tough, not cheap, but excellent. There are moments in the middle of a deadlift or pushing the prowler when I kind of wish I hadn't read this thread :) but happy with the results so far. I know losing weight is mostly diet so I'm not losing sight of that but the classes can only be helping. (no affiliation btw)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

hollypink wrote: »
    I did a 1 week trial of this bootcamp last month and have been going since and I found it to be very much as you've described i.e. tough, not cheap, but excellent. There are moments in the middle of a deadlift or pushing the prowler when I kind of wish I hadn't read this thread :) but happy with the results so far. I know losing weight is mostly diet so I'm not losing sight of that but the classes can only be helping. (no affiliation btw)

One of the biggest benefits of the training is that you're suffering so hard during it that you don't want to "waste" it by cheating on your diet. I find that to be huge!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Pulse.................Check

OK so I survived the first night. I will admit I am rather stiff this morning and a little sorebut it was worth it. It was non stop for the best part of an hour with about 30- secs rest between each activity.

I wont go on about results or anything like that as it was my first night but from talking to people that have been there a few weeks/months it is obvious that they are getting results. Like the previous poster said you work so hard you dont want to ruin it by eating crap afterwards so thats also a bonus.

Anyways I am back on Wed night for more torturebootcamp style shenanigans and will let you know how day 2 goes for me,

frAg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

i want to sign up but im terrified
    is there a good mix of people there , im fairly unfit , so nervous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭moc8827

I think what needs to be remembered is that lots of people aren't actually really into fitness.

They want to get out and do something with other people that gets them a bit of exercise as a plus.

in that sense, I don't think there's anything wrong with bootcamps. they do the job. Lots of people just don't have motivation, and wouldn't do anything in the gym, i.e. they actually need to be shouted at.

However, in the long term, I think people need to find their own motivation. Something like crossfit is good as it's about encouraging you to do the work on your own, rather than forcing you to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭moc8827

Btw, never actually done a bootcamp, but just commenting from what other people have said and general impression.

I did crossfit for a while and found it a great introduction to fitness. It got me to enjoy exercise, so I can do it on my own now in the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

W86indow wrote: »
    i want to sign up but im terrified
    is there a good mix of people there , im fairly unfit , so nervous

Go for it, I first went to bootcamp Ireland about 3 and half years ago, I was still smoking 20 a day and was a good 2 stone overweight, I hadnt run since a knee injury had ruled me out of 5 a side footy a year or two before that.
    I stayed at the bootcamps for about a year and a half and it was a great way to start and build up fitness, I moved onto crossfit and other lifting since then but still have good memories of it as a place where there were sound people all outside and training together.
    With regards to fitness levels there was a really good mix of people, really unfit right up to very fit people using it as a supplement to running.
    Therell be criticism from die hards about the form on certain exercises and things like that but as a starter to getting fit its one of the best forms out there imo.
    The fact that all you have to do is turn up and the rest is laid out also helps imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emurphy12

Hi, Does anyone know of early morning boot camps around phibsborough area. Tks

Advertisement