Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you miss ireland while you live in london?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jasper11

Ooh, lots of good suggestions for pubs in all areas. Maybe we should have a pub review thread? ;)

I miss Ireland if I haven't been home for a long period. The longest for me was 6 months. I miss family, friends and the cats. I don't miss my home town but I miss Cork city. I don't miss RTE or TK lemonade, but I miss not being present at important birthdays, engagements and nights out.

I don't miss paycuts, rising prices, non-stop recession talk, everyone knowing your business and a lack of choice and opportunity.

I'm very proud of being Irish and always sing praises of Ireland's wonderful culture, history and achievements. That said, I'm happy I made the move and don't see myself leaving London anytime soon. :)

ypu have just written everything i was going write buddy and even the bit about cork city.
    i miss going to pubs at hoe for rugby or local sports on tv. barnet seems full of pubs that just show premier league footy. anybody know any good pubs for irish sports? even irish pubs can be bit iffy cos locals will want watch premier league to

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

...non-stop recession talk...
    Christ, don't get me started. This nearly drove me demented when I was back for Christmas. People seem to have genuinely forgotten how epically **** Ireland was in the 80's.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Is the ship the one that plays really loud punk music near covent garden?
    I don't think so. At least, I've never heard punk music there! It's at the back of Holborn tube station:
    http://www.theshiptavern.co.uk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

jasper11 wrote: »
    ypu have just written everything i was going write buddy and even the bit about cork city.
    i miss going to pubs at hoe for rugby or local sports on tv. barnet seems full of pubs that just show premier league footy. anybody know any good pubs for irish sports? even irish pubs can be bit iffy cos locals will want watch premier league to

If you're up that way, check out the Drum and Monkey in Archway, I've seen hurling on TV there and a load of aul culchies watching it if you're into that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

djpbarry wrote: »
    Christ, don't get me started. This nearly drove me demented when I was back for Christmas. People seem to have genuinely forgotten how epically **** Ireland was in the 80's.
    I don't think so. At least, I've never heard punk music there! It's at the back of Holborn tube station:
    http://www.theshiptavern.co.uk

Still, you could go see a band and have a few pints at the Baggot & still have change from a tenner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

old hippy wrote: »
    Still, you could go see a band and have a few pints at the Baggot & still have change from a tenner
    Yeah, but you only got paid a tenner a week.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    Yeah, but you only got paid a tenner a week.

And we were all the better for it. Kids today' don't know they're born etc, ad nauseum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Speaking of Dublin, I do miss the Red Sky at night

Wish I had got a picture of the GPO with sun setting , it was very striking

Suppose the clean air put an end to that, bleeding hippies have no soul:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Ah, crossed lines - was talking about the one on Coldharbour Lane :D

It's great craic in there, cheap pints too, full of all sorts. All the aulfellas in there are Irish too, in fact any of the drunk locals that are white are Irish, some of them now sounding a bit cockney-Irish!

Speaking of Dublin, I do miss the Red Sky at night

Wish I had got a picture of the GPO with sun setting , it was very striking

Suppose the clean air put an end to that, bleeding hippies have no soul:D

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

:mad::mad::mad:

The sunsets was a bit more firey than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Not too far at all. It's the oddest place, they have all the regional papers, food, softdrinks, claddagh rings and statues of Mary :)

They also have Irish and GAA footie jerseys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    It's great craic in there, cheap pints too, full of all sorts. All the aulfellas in there are Irish too, in fact any of the drunk locals that are white are Irish, some of them now sounding a bit cockney-Irish!

The Effra Hall is my favourite pub in Brixton.

Canterbury Arms is good too. Was never too keen on The Prince Albert although had some good nights at Dex upstairs.

Advertisement