Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joey Barton Twitter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Barton saying he's going to quit twitter is funny. He craves the attention, not a hope he'd quit

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Let's be honest - if Wayne Rooney or John Terry made hear comments they would be lynched.

What an absolute w@nker. Matt Holland mentioned his name in passing...he didn't even hear what he said and he went on a rant against every UK born Irish player that ever played for what they consider their country. Fair play to Matt - his response was top notch. Just goes to show who the bigger man is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

daddydick wrote: »
    Let's be honest - if Wayne Rooney or John Terry made hear comments they would be lynched.

What an absolute w@nker. Matt Holland mentioned his name in passing...he didn't even hear what he said and he went on a rant against every UK born Irish player that ever played for what they consider their country. Fair play to Matt - his response was top notch. Just goes to show who the bigger man is.

Considered himself so Irish that he sang GSTQ in Wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

daddydick wrote: »

This

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

bohsman wrote: »
    Considered himself so Irish that he sang GSTQ in Wembley.

'live and let live' is a phrase that yourself and Joey should consider. It's a big world out there - there's nothing whatsoever wrong with being born in one country and being proud of that place as well as having pride in where your ancestors come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Matt Holland said fk all about Barton, as it happens i was listening in while volume down on a stream, if anything his female co-host had more of a go and it wasnt really 'having a go' at Barton. She said his comment on Neil Warnock was a bit disrespectful in that it could be taken that he was saying that Warnock was only any good in the championship. (it doesnt matter whether you agree with it or not)

Then, some of the wind up merchants who follow Barton (i follow both Barton and Holland) went over the top. Barton went on a rant and thats it summed up.

By the way, 1 in 4 Brits have Irish parents or Grandparents, thats over 15 million people. Live over there for a while and you will find people with toff British accents who feel intensely Irish and you will have people with the opposite feelings who were born Irish but moved when they were small, each to their own. Barton can say what he likes but its a stereotypical viewpoint from a patriotic point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Why are people so fixated by what Joey Barton says? Like most people's opinion, you either agree him or you dont. Least he says what he thinks and not churning out media coached tripe, he gets a +1 for that regardless of whether I agree with him or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

dfbemt wrote: »
    I have just sold Barton from my Fantasy Football Team.

Take that you anti Irish BNP union jack waving p**ck

Well, that's him done then. Someone better tell Joey quick; dfbemt dumped him off his fantasy football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

ASOT wrote: »
    HJoey7Barton Joseph Barton
    I'd rather have my 1 England cap and be forever yearning more than take somebody from that countries chance away because my nans from their
    2 hours ago

Is my favorite, completely right imo.

Except for the spelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/05/football-blogs/lonergan-would-welcome-ireland-call-up

The Preston born keeper said “They made an enquiry a few months ago but refused. I might change my mind. My Grandparents are Irish and my dads family are Irish but I couldn’t imagine singing another country’s national anthem. Obviously it would be FINANCIALLY REWARDING“.

Good grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

I have no problem with Barton being one of the most horrible people to ever grace the game (or twitter). Someone has to be the bad guy. Nobody forces me to follow his tweets, and he'll never be good enough to play for my team.

I do have a problem, however, with the lack of responsibility he takes for his actions, along with the hypocritical nature in which he applies himself. Like when Gervinho barely touched his face in the first game of the season, and he was all over radio and twitter declaring how "I'd do anything for my team to win - he shouldn't have given me the opportunity to exaggerate"... and then only last week uses Twitter as a tool to completely demonise a player who reacted to him putting his f**king forehead into his face.

I also can't stand how anyone with so much money in 2012 can still be illiterate. There's just no reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Im sure many, if not all if the Irish Englishmen that player for Ireland feel the same way as Holland and were proud to pull on the green jersey. Just look at the attitude from Kevin Kilbane.

Im a massive fan of some of those players and you cant argue with the quality and commitment from Houghton, Aldridge, Townsend etc, and we have a great record against England. Joey Barton can go fvck himself tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

carlcon wrote: »
    I have no problem with Barton being one of the most horrible people to ever grace the game (or twitter). Someone has to be the bad guy. Nobody forces me to follow his tweets, and he'll never be good enough to play for my team.

You clearly havent read any of the blokes tweets bar the controversial ones
    I do have a problem, however, with the lack of responsibility he takes for his actions, along with the hypocritical nature in which he applies himself. Like when Gervinho barely touched his face in the first game of the season, and he was all over radio and twitter declaring how "I'd do anything for my team to win - he shouldn't have given me the opportunity to exaggerate"... and then only last week uses Twitter as a tool to completely demonise a player who reacted to him putting his f**king forehead into his face.

Everyone does exactly the same thing(Hypocracy, blaming others). Only last week the same happened to Barton, Karma perhaps?

Barton has had a few positive high profile twitter positives also. He was applauded by the kop recently for his efforts in getting a petition to re-open the Hillsborough enquiry.
    I also can't stand how anyone with so much money in 2012 can still be illiterate. There's just no reason for that.

Spelling does not equal literacy, if your going to be so condescending about someones use of a language at least get yours correct

Absolutely no surprise that someone defending Barton jumps to conclusions, makes points about people he knows nothing about, plays the "other people do it" card, and then tries to use semantics to make a point, thus avoiding the actual problem.

Is that you, Joey?

Absolutely no surprise that someone defending Barton jumps to conclusions, makes points about people he knows nothing about, plays the "other people do it" card, and then tries to use semantics to make a point, thus avoiding the actual problem.

Is that you, Joey?

Absolutely no surprise that someone criticizing Barton jumps to conclusions, makes points about people he knows nothing about, plays the "everyone is a victim" card and then tries to convey their superiority by attacking someones spelling.

Is that you random Sun journo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The artistry in trolling is actually believing everything you say, despite how it may contradict logic, facts or the majority of your catalogue of previous statements. This innate gift promotes the troll out of the realms of pedestrian attention seeking, into a vortex of inseparable fact and fiction. At this level, trolling is not done for the troll, rather, it is done for trolling.

Can't wait until Barton is a pundit on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Im sure he is crying about it right now :rolleyes:

most retarded post i've read in this thread congrats

kryogen wrote: »

Ehh, think he was joking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The artistry in trolling is actually believing everything you say, despite how it may contradict logic, facts or the majority of your catalogue of previous statements. This innate gift promotes the troll out of the realms of pedestrian attention seeking, into a vortex of inseparable fact and fiction. At this level, trolling is not done for the troll, rather, it is done for trolling.

Despise Barton as a player tbh, but how exactly is he trolling in this instance, infact everything he has said on the matter is spot on, he freely admits he is currently not good enough to play for England himself, a point which has conveniently been ignored by the haters, and merely questions the motives of those who play for an adopted country simply because they know full well they are not good enough to play for the country of their birth.

There are many reasons to hate Joey Barton but Im afraid this is a subject he has got right on the money, irrespective of how the debate started or what his motives were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He should quit with the resentment for the fact that he isn't good enough for England and never will be. QPR is his level, I'd say he should focus on not getting relegated rather than who is going to play international football.

What resentment? He's quite clear in the quote tweets that he's not good enough and that he has to work harder because of that.

He says so in pretty much those exact words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Despise Barton as a player tbh, but how exactly is he trolling in this instance, infact everything he has said on the matter is spot on, he freely admits he is currently not good enough to play for England himself, a point which has conveniently been ignored by the haters, and merely questions the motives of those who play for an adopted country simply because they know full well they are not good enough to play for the country of their birth.

There are many reasons to hate Joey Barton but Im afraid this is a subject he has got right on the money, irrespective of how the debate started or what his motives were.

The fact that you agree with him, or more appropriately, that there are people who will agree with him, makes his trolling all the more magnificent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If Barton is not your cup of tea Szczesny looks like a right laugh.
    13Szczesny13 Wojciech Szczesny
    @aaronjramsey I don't wanna be rude mate but you look like a rapist on that picture! lol

@aaronjramsey Looking like a rapist/pedofile isn't a good thing either ;)

Good thing he didn't tweet it to Van Persie.:pac:

M5 wrote: »
    Absolutely no surprise that someone criticizing Barton jumps to conclusions, makes points about people he knows nothing about, plays the "everyone is a victim" card and then tries to convey their superiority by attacking someones spelling.

Is that you random Sun journo?

I see what you did there... added literally nothing to the discussion, using the same argument against me that in no way works both ways. Bloody brilliant! :rolleyes: And you're accusing others of being a "sun journo"? My god, it gets harder to defend my sport when the dregs reach these limits.

Me criticising a player who is 100% out in the open with his thuggery, twitter nonsense, and on-field antics is in no way comparable to you telling a random internet stranger you know nothing about what they do and don't read on twitter. What a pathetic attempt at debate.

If Barton wants to paint himself as an aficionado of the arts, philosophy, and various other things that he deems as "high brow" enough to cover up his complete and utter disregard for decency, then he's going to have to back it up with something better than the drivel he tweets every day. He tells us how well read and intelligent he thinks he is on a regular basis, so yes, of course he should be held to the grammar standards of someone above the age of 12.

It has just been summed up perfectly by someone just before me. Barton is a real-life troll. He f*cks you up as much as he possibly can, then hides behind his own sense of self-worth to get him through the well-deserved backlash he receives. The man is dirt - and how people can just blindly defend him "because he tells it like it is" (he really doesn't!) is painfully damaging to the image of football fans as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Paparazzo wrote: »

Hope so! And if he was I will apologise and remove my post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/05/football-blogs/lonergan-would-welcome-ireland-call-up

The Preston born keeper said “They made an enquiry a few months ago but refused. I might change my mind. My Grandparents are Irish and my dads family are Irish but I couldn’t imagine singing another country’s national anthem. Obviously it would be FINANCIALLY REWARDING“.

Good grief.

Well that bollix can stay where he is anyway. Need not apply.

As for Barton he's spot on here. He's basically having a dig at the journeymen who aren't good enough to get in the England squad (like himself) who realise they've an Irish granny and start making flirty eyes at Ireland in the hope of getting some international caps. Purely for the furtherance of their own careers and bank accounts. Those kind of players can fcuk right off as far as I'm concerned. And Barton is right this time.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

M5 wrote: »
    Spelling does not equal literacy, if your going to be so condescending about someones use of a language at least get yours correct
    Anyway, twitter as a medium does not promote great English due to the 140 figure limit.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

aidan24326 wrote: »

As for Barton he's spot on here. He's basically having a dig at the journeymen who aren't good enough to get in the England squad (like himself) who realise they've an Irish granny and start making flirty eyes at Ireland in the hope of getting some international caps. Purely for the furtherance of their own careers and bank accounts. Those kind of players can fcuk right off as far as I'm concerned. And Barton is right this time.

Hes also muck, so theirs another reason not to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If Barton is not your cup of tea Szczesny looks like a right laugh.

Good thing he didn't tweet it to Van Persie.:pac:

I've had a soft spot for Szczesny since I saw him wander over to an Arsenal stand after a game and lead the singing (Chelsea fan). Seems like a genuinely sound chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Was just thinking the same thing. Get him on for the Euros and I'd always have RTE on.
    Neil3030 wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

geeky wrote: »
    I've had a soft spot for Szczesny since I saw him wander over to an Arsenal stand after a game and lead the singing (Chelsea fan). Seems like a genuinely sound chap.

Seems like nothing more than a bit of banter...but with the way the media pick up on stuff these days there will most likely be a big deal made out of it. I'm just glad it's not two Liverpool players involved.

Guess someone told him that.
    I'm sorry if anyone was offended by my previous tweets. There are some thing we should not joke about and I have crossed the line. Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

To anyone in this thread who has labelled Joey Barton an "average" footballer: that word doesn't mean what you think it means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

geeky wrote: »

He puts up videos of him playing table tennis against oxo with frying pans, whats not to love!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Szczesny latest contribution

Twitter

Szczeny
    Quote:
    It was good to see Becks in the dressing room after the game last night although he was a bit starstruck when he saw me lol

Quality :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Paul McGrath just tweeted Barton there:

I disagree. I was born in London, asked to play for England by Bobby Robson but respected my Irish roots and never regretted it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Joey Barton is proof positive that football players are generally underworked and overpaid. The guy has wasted his career as a footballer. Clearly he sees his future as a pundit, making on the edge comments. He'll eventually make a mess of that number too.

This tweet is harmless because he said something vaguely derogatory about the Irish or about players with Irish heritage who declare for Ireland. If he said something negative about being black, his punditry future would be dead in the water.

BTW he's not 100% correct in his immature assumption either. Mark Lawrenson, Paul McGrath, Dave O'Leary were all born in England. Any of those would've been England first picks in their hey day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Good grief.

This Lonergan tool has no chance of ever playing for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

bohsman wrote: »
    Its true...
    Maybe, but sure who would want to play for England anyway, they haven't won anything since 1966.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

Mat Holland has a world cup goal under his belt. Barton is probably about to be relegated for the second time in 3 seasons. He's a clown.

I'd have no problem playing football for Leitrim as my mam is from there even though I'm from Dublin. Unfortunately Leitrim wouldn't have me either :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Advertisement

I see what you did there... added literally nothing to the discussion, using the same argument against me that in no way works both ways. Bloody brilliant! :rolleyes: And you're accusing others of being a "sun journo"? My god, it gets harder to defend my sport when the dregs reach these limits.

As you did in your previous point! You made two quite arrogant posts where you first take aim at Bartons literacy and then accuse me of jumping to conclusions and speaking about something that I know nothing about! Arrogant to say the least!
    Me criticising a player who is 100% out in the open with his thuggery, twitter nonsense, and on-field antics is in no way comparable to you telling a random internet stranger you know nothing about what they do and don't read on twitter. What a pathetic attempt at debate.

Hes stated several times that he regrets what he did in the past. Again you reinforce my point, you actually have not read anything bar the negative stories! Pathetic debate? You have not researched your subject at all, what would you classify that as?
    If Barton wants to paint himself as an aficionado of the arts, philosophy, and various other things that he deems as "high brow" enough to cover up his complete and utter disregard for decency, then he's going to have to back it up with something better than the drivel he tweets every day. He tells us how well read and intelligent he thinks he is on a regular basis, so yes, of course he should be held to the grammar standards of someone above the age of 12.

At least the guy is making some effort at improving himself. As I said previously if you did your research you would have known that! I for one would rather hear some opinions rather than someone who constantly panders to the club line. These badge kissers are whats wrong with the game in my opinion

It has just been summed up perfectly by someone just before me. Barton is a real-life troll. He f*cks you up as much as he possibly can, then hides behind his own sense of self-worth to get him through the well-deserved backlash he receives. The man is dirt - and how people can just blindly defend him "because he tells it like it is" (he really doesn't!) is painfully damaging to the image of football fans as a whole

that's your opinion. Agree that he spouts utter drivel sometimes. Also he tries to generate an intellectual persona which is embarrassing sometimes. That's hard to argue! Whats also hard to agree with is the utter arrogant couple of posts you have delivered!

For me Barton is more intelligent than the average footballer but nowhere near as intelligent as he thinks/wants to be. A thug? He was, absolutely! In the last 3 (or so) years he has worked extremely hard on rehabilitating himself and as much as he deserves vilification for his previous, he deserves credit for what he has achieved. Its embarrassing that so many people are waiting to pounce whenever he steps slightly out of line, although it sould be argued that he has used up all his chances!

On the Irish thing, I'm proudly Irish first off! Barton is unfortunately correct. How many top notch players have we ever had play for us via the granny rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

DB21 wrote: »
    Well, that's him done then. Someone better tell Joey quick; dfbemt dumped him off his fantasy football.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Hope so! And if he was I will apologise and remove my post

I was joking, honest mister.

Joey Barton obviously doesn't care about much, let alone being taken off my Fantasy Football Team. Truth is he wasn't even on it.

Retard comment not great but no apology needed. I have already been punished with a yellow card by mods who didn't see my post as a joke either.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

aidan24326 wrote: »

I wouldn't have put Matt Holland in that category, always gave 100% in a green shirt. Nothing but respect for him.

Mat Holland has a world cup goal under his belt. Barton is probably about to be relegated for the second time in 3 seasons. He's a clown.

I'd have no problem playing football for Leitrim as my mam is from there even though I'm from Dublin. Unfortunately Leitrim wouldn't have me either :(

Where as Barton will be remembered for starting on his team mate, and getting pissed up beating up a teenager outside a chipper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Barton is 100% correct in what he said.Although Holland gave his all in the green jersey he was 25 when he decided he was eligable to play for Ireland.

Mick McCarthy was also 25,Andy Townsend was 26 as was Paul Green,Liam Lawrence was 27,John Aldridge was 28 I kid you not.

This is whats called holding out.

We were caught short for players in the past but from now on, players that come forward that are older than say 21/22 should be told where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

What resentment? He's quite clear in the quote tweets that he's not good enough and that he has to work harder because of that.

He says so in pretty much those exact words.

He has actually come out a few times in the last few months claiming to be Englands best midfielder and saying that it was a disgrace he wasn't in the squad.

I think he called Gareth Barry a suck up to some degree, claiming that was the only reason he featured ahead of him, in one of the incidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Barton is 100% correct in what he said.Although Holland gave his all in the green jersey he was 25 when he decided he was eligable to play for Ireland.

Mick McCarthy was also 25,Andy Townsend was 26 as was Paul Green,Liam Lawrence was 27,John Aldridge was 28 I kid you not.

We were caught short for players in the past but from now on, players that come forward that are older than say 21/22 should be told where to go.

Are we not caught short for players now? Not that im saying thats the only reason to call up players, but we hardly have an abundance now. It's not a manager's duty to decide who's more Irish than someone else. All player's should be considered, and it should be treated individually. Barton will more than likely never play for England regularly, easy for him to be all high and mighty about who should play for a country etc.

Holland > Barton all day long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

The rules are the rules. Whatever the individual players motives are is irrelevant, if a player is eligable to play and he's wanted, well that's it. Nothing else concerns me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Corholio wrote: »
    Are we not caught short for players now? Not that im saying thats the only reason to call up players, but we hardly have an abundance now. It's not a manager's duty to decide who's more Irish than someone else. All player's should be considered, and it should be treated individually. Barton will more than likely never play for England regularly, easy for him to be all high and mighty about who should play for a country etc.

Holland > Barton all day long

No,we have more than enough.

What with prem players like Hoolahan,Meyler,Wilson,Sammon being overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Didn't the Granny Rule not come into play until the mid 80's when all these players were then called up.

Open to correction on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No,we have more than enough.

What with prem players like Hoolahan,Meyler,Wilson,Sammon being overlooked.

Do you think players like Hoolahan and Meyler are being overlooked because they are not good enough?

• Advertisement
Advertisement