Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joey Barton Twitter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Now that you are finished crying about the mean thing Joey said you can dig deep into your little handbags and redo your mascara lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Irishness, or feelings of nationality on a general level, transcend factual questions of birth, family and place. This particular topic is one on which this forum tends to hop the fence and begin drooling all over its keyboard. As I've said before, what the **** do we know about the environment players such as Kilbane or Holland were raised in? Your childhood home could be located in Berkshire, but if your parents or wider family were to constantly talk about Ireland, their lives there, other Irish people, etc then you might just grow up considering where you're from to be somewhere other than Berkshire. It's ultimately a feeling, that is personal and particular to everyone.

I would be highly surprised if everyone on this thread doesn't have a mate, or relative or mate of a mate who was born and raised in Ireland yet doesn't have a strong attachment to Ireland. Particularly with emigration a fact of life again, you're likely to know someone who has left here and would have no interest in returning. That's not me, but then I couldn't really articulate my strong sense of national pride very well. It was already well developed by the time I was a teenager, and it never went away. It is beyond reason.

We've had some players who pulled on an Irish jersey just to play International football, but people are kidding themselves if they want to suggest that the likes of Kilbane or Holland didn't conduct themselves with a fierce sense of national pride while playing for us.

I respect Barton (or any player) who would not be willing to play for a country they do not care about. But the suggestion that it is only correct to care if you have an Irish accent is dead wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Didn't the Granny Rule not come into play until the mid 80's when all these players were then called up.

Open to correction on this

I thought I remember John Giles saying that it was available to him when he was Irish manager, but he didnt really use it as much as Charlton did in the mid 80s when Aldridge Houghton etc came along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Irishness, or feelings of nationality on a general level, transcend factual questions of birth, family and place. This particular topic is one on which this forum tends to hop the fence and begin drooling all over its keyboard. As I've said before, what the **** do we know about the environment players such as Kilbane or Holland were raised in? Your childhood home could be located in Berkshire, but if your parents or wider family were to constantly talk about Ireland, their lives there, other Irish people, etc then you might just grow up considering where you're from to be somewhere other than Berkshire. It's ultimately a feeling, that is personal and particular to everyone.

I would be highly surprised if everyone on this thread doesn't have a mate, or relative or mate of a mate who was born and raised in Ireland yet doesn't have a strong attachment to Ireland. Particularly with emigration a fact of life again, you're likely to know someone who has left here and would have no interest in returning. That's not me, but then I couldn't really articulate my strong sense of national pride very well. It was already well developed by the time I was a teenager, and it never went away. It is beyond reason.

We've had some players who pulled on an Irish jersey just to play International football, but people are kidding themselves if they want to suggest that the likes of Kilbane or Holland didn't conduct themselves with a fierce sense of national pride while playing for us.

I respect Barton (or any player) who would not be willing to play for a country they do not care about. But the suggestion that it is only correct to care if you have an Irish accent is dead wrong.

Dont know where your going with this post.

What peeves me is why didnt Matt Holland play for the Ireland underage teams if he was so passionate,along with the others who were 25+ coming forward?

I dont know how you cant see that they were holding out in the hope of being called up for England.

Players I do admire for knowing who they want to play for from day one are James McCarthy who started with Ireland at 16 and McGeady who was 18.

Granted, Holland and the others done a good job for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Paul McGrath just tweeted Barton there:

I disagree. I was born in London, asked to play for England by Bobby Robson but respected my Irish roots and never regretted it.

McGrath and O Leary spent the vast mqajority of their childhoods in Ireland, its a bit different.

Im all for English born players who know the team and have always supported (Ive a few London mates who although they support England as well are heavy Ireland fans, and would likely back Ireland in a head to head at a tournament). But theres a difference between that and players who at age 27 finally realise they are apparently Irish.

Dont know where your going with this post.

What peeves me is why didnt Matt Holland play for the Ireland underage teams if he was so passionate,along with the others who were 25+ coming forward?

I dont know how you cant see that they were holding out in the hope of being called up for England.

Players I do admire for knowing who they want to play for from day one are James McCarthy who started with Ireland at 16 and McGeady who was 18.

Granted, Holland and the others done a good job for Ireland.

The FAI Youth system (and the way in which they sourced players) was in the dark ages for a long time. Even now, the process by which players get picked up for U15 International squads leaves an awful lot to be desired. The women's setup is actually doing better in this regard, but it is easier because the eligible playing pool is so much smaller.

Maybe players like Holland and Kilbane turned down offers to represent Ireland before U21 level. Or maybe they weren't asked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Corholio wrote: »

Holland > Barton all day long

As a footballer or as a human?? Cos if you mean as a footballer I call boll*x :p Just because Barton is a less than savoury character shouldnt deflect from the fact he is a very good footballer and actually if you think about it would compliment Irelands style/formation very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

As a footballer or as a human?? Cos if you mean as a footballer I call boll*x :p Just because Barton is a less than savoury character shouldnt deflect from the fact he is a very good footballer and actually if you think about it would compliment Irelands style/formation very well.

However his previous teams are now doing a lot better without him and his current team are one of the worst in the Premier League, relegation material at the moment but with transfer funds and a new manager they may escape!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Eh, Mattie Holland has achieved more in his career (played in a World Cup, had a 5th place Premier League finish, club player of the year several times and treated as a legend at former clubs) than Joey Barton with none of the bullshít either. Even in retirement, Holland always speaks of the Republic as his team, unlike some (Townsend, Lawrenson, etc.).

I would take half a Mattie Holland over Joey Barton any day of the week.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Maybe players like Holland and Kilbane turned down offers to represent Ireland before U21 level. Or maybe they weren't asked?
    Not true at all. In general, players at youth level weren't even approached about representing us, even if they wanted to play for Ireland. Indeed, Kilbane once turned up for England duty wearing an Irish jersey, this was confirmed in a YBIG interview.
    YBIG: Is it true you once attended an England
    youth trial in Ireland gear?

KevIn: Yeah it’s true. When at Preston, Sam
    Allardyce (Youth Team Coach at the time) twisted
    my arm and made me go. I really didn’t feel right
    going. But yeah 100% true I wore the Ireland gear
    I would say that the likes of Mattie Holland and Paul McGrath would definitely have nailed their Irish colours to the mast, if they had actually been asked at youth level.

• Advertisement

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/05/football-blogs/lonergan-would-welcome-ireland-call-up

The Preston born keeper said “They made an enquiry a few months ago but refused. I might change my mind. My Grandparents are Irish and my dads family are Irish but I couldn’t imagine singing another country’s national anthem. Obviously it would be FINANCIALLY REWARDING“.

Good grief.
    Guys like him and Clinton Morrison make me sick.

kfallon wrote: »
    However his previous teams are now doing a lot better without him and his current team are one of the worst in the Premier League, relegation material at the moment but with transfer funds and a new manager they may escape!

How Newcastle are doing now is completely irrelevant, they have a different manager and more importantly they have Demba Ba who wasnt there last season.

Secondly QPR are far from one of the worst teams in the Premier league, the table doesnt always tell the full story, relegation material maybe but then again wasnt Matt Holland relegated twice???

Btw I have good time for Matt Holland and admire him as a player, its just people completely dimissing Barton as a footballer because of hes personality is wrong imo.

Secondly QPR are far from one of the worst teams in the Premier league, the table doesnt always tell the full story, relegation material maybe but then again wasnt Matt Holland relegated twice???

Isn't a common phrase in football that "the table never lies"? :confused:

bohsman wrote: »
    Its true...
    It's bollocks in many cases.

James McCarthy has wanted to play for Ireland since he was 15.

Aiden McGeady has wanted to play for us since he was 16.

Steven Reid played for us at 20, he would almost certainly have gotten at least a cap for England.

As I already pointed out, Kevin Kilbane defected from the England setup at an early age, he too had a good chance at getting a cap for England.

For every Andy Lonergan, there's also a Simon Cox out there. A guy who cancelled his Summer holidays last year just to make the squad (he said he didn't even expect to get any game time) because some of our Irish born players were "too tired". I will take any granny rule player who will bust himself to play for us and sing the anthem over the likes of native players like Anthony Stokes and Stephen Ireland.

For every Andy Lonergan, there's also a Simon Cox out there. A guy who cancelled his Summer holidays last year just to make the squad (he said he didn't even expect to get any game time) because some of our Irish born players were "too tired". I will take any granny rule player who will bust himself to play for us and sing the anthem over the likes of native players like Anthony Stokes and Stephen Ireland.

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

anybody who thinks holland is a better play than barton is demented. Barton almost kept city up single handed in 03/04, one of the only players who looked like they gave a damn and took control. they ended up finishing 16th, if they had of been relegated then you could be almost sure city would not be where they are today

kfallon wrote: »
    Isn't a common phrase in football that "the table never lies"? :confused:

Wasnt it also once a phrase in football that you will win nothing with kids???? ;)

Besides how do you or I or anyone for that matter know where in the table QPR would be if Barton wasnt playing for them, look at the teams below them, players such as Gary Cahill, Yakubu, Hoillet, Samba , Moses, Rodellega etc. are they all crap cos theri teams are at the wrong end of the table?

I have watched QPR quite a few times this year and have been relativley impressed and Barton has been excellent all season. With hes off the field antics over the years he would not still be playing top flight footbnall unless he was very very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

I was over at the Liverpool - QPR game before Christmas and think what you will about Barton and his off the field antics that day he was the best player on the park. He bossed Adam and Henderson. You may think hes a twat but Holland is nowhere near as good as him.

If he was not as loose a cannon he would be in a top four team now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

seanybiker wrote: »
    Forgot I was in creative writing forum here.

If you plan on correcting someone be sure to do just that - correct them :rolleyes: :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

killwill wrote: »
    That beer comment is uncalled for. Do you say that about all recovering alcoholics with a slightly controversial statement? Sad really.

Of course :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

anybody who thinks holland is a better play than barton is demented. Barton almost kept city up single handed in 03/04, one of the only players who looked like they gave a damn and took control. they ended up finishing 16th, if they had of been relegated then you could be almost sure city would not be where they are today

Holland was a bear for Ipswich in the season they came up, easily better than Barton. Both average, but Holland overall a better player.

Wasnt it also once a phrase in football that you will win nothing with kids???? ;)

Besides how do you or I or anyone for that matter know where in the table QPR would be if Barton wasnt playing for them, look at the teams below them, players such as Gary Cahill, Yakubu, Hoillet, Samba , Moses, Rodellega etc. are they all crap cos theri teams are at the wrong end of the table?

I have watched QPR quite a few times this year and have been relativley impressed and Barton has been excellent all season. With hes off the field antics over the years he would not still be playing top flight footbnall unless he was very very good.

Who said anything about them or Barton being crap? :confused:

I saw QPR against Chelsea and they were useless, hanging on for dear life despite the fact they had a two man advantage. They scored from a peno and besides that they never even looked like scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I have watched QPR quite a few times this year and have been relativley impressed and Barton has been excellent all season.
    As a QPR (and Barton) fan, I think I have to step in here and say that he hasn't really stepped up and performed as well as he (undoubtedly) can for us so far this season.

Hopefully this will change soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

El Weirdo wrote: »
    As a QPR (and Barton) fan, I think I have to step in here and say that he hasn't really stepped up and performed as well as he (undoubtedly) can for us so far this season.

Hopefully this will change soon though.

Thought he had been quiet, is it a tactical thing I wonder, as in the tactics done suit him?

He was genuinely superb for Newcastle last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

M5 wrote: »
    Thought he had been quiet, is it a tactical thing I wonder, as in the tactics done suit him?
    Possibly. Although he wasn't really one of the players that Warnock seemed to insist on playing out of position, like SWP and Jamie Mackie.

To be fair though, he certainly isn't the only one. There are only 1 or 2 players that have really performed as well as they can over the last 10 games or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I see Joey has continued his charm offensive
    Joey7Barton Joseph Barton
    Not a big fan of people that try to make scapegoats out of others. If u live by the sword, u die by it.
    1 hour ago

A wise man once told me to not argue with fools, people from a distance can't tell who is who.......
    2 hours ago

Lost his job and the guy is blaming everyone but himself! Embarrassing, time to look in the mirror mate. Last thing we need right. Big week
    2 hours ago

Looking forward to the game against Wigan tomo. 1st time in a while we actually have a plan and seem organised. #3ptsneeded
    2 hours ago

If I talked about Neil, he'd do well to get another job. Twitter cost him his job???? I can think of a million other things! #shutitwarnock
    2 hours ago

Neil Warnock saying I talk to much. Now that is funny #mikebassett
    2 hours ago

Interesting what he says about having a plan for tomorrow. They were saying on the Guardian podcast recently that Warnock wasn't a fan of tactics, was more a fan of the 'Up and at 'em lads' approach. The speculation was that Barton didn't appreciate this

Anyone know what Warnock said about him on SSN?

A bit **** of him to have a go at Warnock like that though, I don't remember too many others being willing to take a risk on him last summer when Newcastle wanted rid

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Comes across as very unprofessional there. Fair enough if you have grievances with a former boss, no need to put it up in public.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I really dislike Barton as a person. He really does think he's a lot more intelligent than he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Comes across as very unprofessional there. Fair enough if you have grievances with a former boss, no need to put it up in public.

Stopped following him .

Honestly to me he seems very insecure and kinda has this cyber valve that he pushes all his wind and piss out of , whilst also trying to sound intelligent whilst quoting some famous people .

His "real" life and friends are either non existent or not worth talking to.

If we all lived our lives the Joey Barton way then nothing would be precious.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I really dislike Barton as a person. He really does think he's a lot more intelligent than he is.

He really does, and he amplifies this with his condescending approach. Barton obviously had issues growing up, and I admire anyone who can overcome things as he has, or who's trying to broaden their horizons as he seems to be, but he speaks with an authority which in reality he lacks and is turning into a bit of a laughing stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

What a hypocrite. The day Warnock was sacked he was talking about how "gutted" he was and now that Warnock has mentioned that twitter may have contributed to him getting the sack he has a go at him. Believe me, I am far from a Neil Warnock fan but considering he was the only one willing to take a gamble on Barton during the summer, as well as making him captain and putting up with all his crap like the incident with Bradley Johnson I would have thought Barton of all people would show him a little bit of respect or at the very least not slander him over the internet.

Barton is a troll.

Shocked people don't realise that.

He's trolling you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

That recent tirade of tweets sums him up. Horrible f***er.

I'm sick of hearing the "you don't know what he's like in real life" argument. No normal, nice, respectful person in "real life" says these things. And they certainly don't broadcast it to as many people as they can.

The man is both a physical and mental thug. He'll bully anyone he can, any way he can.

So so happy to see Newcastle thrive without him. More people need to remind him of this.

LOL

#shutupbarton is trending.

He seems to have hit a nerve with people .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

mixednuts wrote: »
    LOL

#shutupbarton is trending.

He seems to have hit a nerve with people .

It is? I just put in a search for it and got nothing. :confused:

*Nevermind, search isn't working. Stupid twitter.

Have to love the Warnock love in. He was being slagged off here a couple of weeks ago. Warnock has gone public saying that he was sacked due to poisoning on social networking sites from inside the club. I think Barton took this personally and had a pop back at him.

End of.

carlcon wrote: »
    It is? I just put in a search for it and got nothing. :confused:

*Nevermind, search isn't working. Stupid twitter.

Tried it there again found no probs ?

Emmanuel knows his sh*t! :pac:

tIBRP.png

(Probably a fake though :()

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Warnock for England.

• Advertisement

thegen wrote: »
    Have to love the Warnock love in. He was being slagged off here a couple of weeks ago. Warnock has gone public saying that he was sacked due to poisoning on social networking sites from inside the club. I think Barton took this personally and had a pop back at him.

End of.

There's no love in with Warnock, its just people thinking Barton was out of order. Personally I've never liked Warnock, and I spent enough time wrecking people's heads in the Liverpool thread looking for Barton to be signed, so its not that I naturally want to slate Barton, just that I think there was no need for that sort of reaction.

As for Warnocks initial comments, the man's just lost his job so there's obviously going to be a degree of bitterness, but he never mentioned Barton specifically, nor did he refer to him in a derogatory manner as Baton has to him. Barton should at least have had the decency and professionalism to shut the fook up. Very bad form IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tommyhaas wrote: »
    but he never mentioned Barton specifically, nor did he refer to him in a derogatory manner as Baton has to him.

"he did not want to discuss midfielder Joey Barton as he "just wants to talk about positive things at the club".

No, he prefers to hide behind thinly veiled insults. At least Barton has the bottle to say what he thinks outright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

carlcon wrote: »
    Emmanuel knows his sh*t! :pac:

tIBRP.png

(Probably a fake though :()

I hope #burgerAss starts trending :pac:

Joey, talking about his visit to an AA meeting tonight. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The man is absolute scum.

Absolute betrayal of a manager who has defended him on at least half a dozen occasions this season alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

thegen wrote: »
    Joey, talking about his visit to an AA meeting tonight. Fair play.

Didn't know they had as$hole anonymous gatherings

Would love to be able to take the high moral ground like you lads or lasses as the case may be, sounds like a lot of bitching here😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He's making me feel sorry for Warnock.... *shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

"he did not want to discuss midfielder Joey Barton as he "just wants to talk about positive things at the club".

No, he prefers to hide behind thinly veiled insults. At least Barton has the bottle to say what he thinks outright.

Ha! You talk about Warnock hiding, while Barton taps away with his vitriol, nice and cosy behind his phone?

If Barton has something to say to Warnock, he should say it to Warnock. Shouting his rubbish from the rooftops is exceptionally unprofessional. It makes him look bad and it makes the club look bad for allowing him to do it.

If I were Hughes, the first thing I'd do would be to fine Barton for showing absolutely no respect for a former colleague.

Privately, we don't know (and I don't care) what was between Warnock and Barton. Publicly, Warnock always, always stood up for Barton, regardless what stupidity he was guilty of. Barton should show the same courtesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Privately, we don't know (and I don't care) what was between Warnock and Barton. Publicly, Warnock always, always stood up for Barton, regardless what stupidity he was guilty of. Barton should show the same courtesy.

Except after he was let go, clearly having his usual whinge that everyoen is against him and alluding to people inside the club souring it for him. Barton was replying to Warnocks interview.

Advertisement