Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sibelius 6 and sound

Options
  • 10-01-2012 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi silly question, I have the volume on my laptop on to highest level, went into sibelius 6 but cant hear any of the notes im writing? I havnt used sibelius in years and have never used this version before, am I missing something stupid? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Sound working on everything else?
    Sound sets installed?
    Legally purchased copy?

Maybe go to Play>Playback Devices... then select Sibelius Player or Microsoft GS Wavetable or whichever one you want and click Activate>>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Is there a volume setting on the application itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cathypurc

Thanks, my friend installed it for me so not sure. When I went into the Playback Devices it was already on Microsift GS Wavetime. I can hear it when I put headphones but not without? strange

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Okay so you get noise out of the laptop when headphones are plugged in but not when they are removed. Does the laptop have built-in speakers or are you connecting to a set of external speakers? Do you get noise out of other applications when headphones are removed?

If there's sound coming through headphones but not through speakers it sounds like an issue with your computer rather than the program.
    As Malice has asked:
    Does the laptop have built-in speakers or are you connecting to a set of external speakers?
    Do you get noise out of other applications when headphones are removed?
    Also:
    What kind of computer is it?
    What operating system are you using (Windows 7 etc.)?

Some computers will allow you to mute one output source (e.g. speakers) but still use another (e.g. headphones).

Is it a legal copy? I'm not gonna say anything bad about it, but it can cause problems if it's not.
    You should have the Sibelius Sounds Essentials included with the program, and you should set the Playback Device to that rather than the Microsoft GS Wavetable. If you downloaded a cracked copy or if you just copied your friends version, that may not have included the aforementioned Sound Set.

• Advertisement

The laptop has built in speakers and I can hear other applications without using headphones.Have been on youtube etc with no sound problem. Nope not a legal copy unfor stone broke :) lol. When I went into the Playback device the only thing coming up on it is Microsoft GS Wavetable MIDI GM. I bought a usb keyboard and audio interface and speakers from thomann but the interface wont light up. This laptop is HP using windows 7. As you can tell I havnt a notion regarding ANYTHING to do with technology :) lol

If your audio interface is installed, registered (with the activation code that came with it) and plugged in to your computer, then it should also show up in the same panel (on the left) as Microsoft GS Wavetable under Playback Devices.
    You may need to also click that and then click activate.
    Another thing to try is at the bottom of that Playback Devices window there is a button that says "Audio Engine Options..."
    Click that and a new window will open, which should have a drop down menu for "Interface:" That may be currently set to the ASIO driver or Line Out on your audio interface. Easiest thing to do would be to set it to "Primary Sound Driver".
    Also, check if you can hear playback when the audio interface is not plugged in.

sorry for late reply up to eyes with essays at the mo. Thanks a mill that worked got the sound on wohoo :) really appreciate the advice :)

Advertisement