Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Use of MP3 player/FM Transmitter while driving?

• 10-01-2012 12:34am

Hi,

Would just like to know if I am allowed to use an MP3 player and FM transmitter while driving, or would it be considered an offence under the same law as holding a mobile phone?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Open to being corrected on this.

The FM spectrum is a licenced spectrum,
    It is Illegal to broadcast on it without a relevant license [IE a radio station license] issued by comreg,
    The FM transmitters your talking about are effectivily small range mobile pirate radio stations.

This is all info I have from studying Radio Production in 2003/2004. it is possable that an ammendment to the law has been made since to allow devices under a certain output to be legalised but i've never heard about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ComReg gives green light to iTrips and range of radio applications

The Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) today announced that low power, short range FM transmitter devices such as iTrip-type devices can now be used in Ireland, subject to certain conditions. These devices may be used to wirelessly connect personal audio devices, such as MP3 players, to car radios. There is expected to be high consumer demand for these types of devices and ComReg’s enabling provision will facilitate the use of these devices in Ireland.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/PR221206.pdf

The relevant technical document is Comreg 06/47R (see top of p.75) which mentions 50 nW radial power in the 87.5-108 MHz space.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0647R.pdf

I don't know what power my Monster FM Transmitter radiates but at least they've accepted the use of these devices in principle.

Thanks lads. I already knew fm transmitters were legal.

I should have worded my questuon differently. My question is, would I be allowed to hold my MP3 player and change songs etc? Or would this be considered an offence?

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Thanks lads. I already knew fm transmitters were legal.

I should have worded my questuon differently. My question is, would I be allowed to hold my MP3 player and change songs etc? Or would this be considered an offence?

Thanks again.

Section 3 of the RTA 2006 says,

3.— (1) A person shall not while driving a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place hold a mobile phone.

The act does not define a mobile phone. So as a mp3 player is not a phone I don't think it's covered. But I am open to correction on that.

Section 3 of the RTA 2006 says,

3.— (1) A person shall not while driving a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place hold a mobile phone.

The act does not define a mobile phone. So as a mp3 player is not a phone I don't think it's covered. But I am open to correction on that.
    Thanks a million!

Back to using mp3 without worry of being charged now :)

Or could I be charged with driving without due care and attention?

Or should I just make CDs :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Not a legal issue but if you're driving "doing other things" you're a bit of an idiot. Is it worth the risk of killing someone because you're too tight to shell out for the right cable / gizmo?

I have the right gizmo. An MP3/Fm Tranmitter. I couldn't use anything else apart from a CD and I still have to look at the radio if I want to change song every time to find the button. I think the MP3/transmitter is safer tbh.

I can change songs without looking at the MP3 player. I only look at it when sitting at traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Might I suggest some sort of holder then? I really can't see a garda having an issue with you pushing a button somewhere near the dashboard while sitting at a traffic light. Especially when there is more than likely some fool on a phone in the same queue.

MP3 sits nicely in a pocket in the dash ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

MP3 sits nicely in a pocket in the dash ;)

Do be careful with this op, you could be charged with careless driving or worse still dangerous driving if you get into an accident while changing songs on your mp3 player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement