Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Xperia S

• 10-01-2012 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭

Like the look of the Sony Xperia S, that's just been announced, less happy with the fact that a phone that is launching in Q2 won't initially be coming with ICS. Still the hardware looks impressive. 1.5 ghz Dual core, 32 gb, 720p 4.3 inch screen, 12mp exmor R camera.

Xperia_S_A.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

Like the look of the Sony Xperia S, that's just been announced, less happy with the fact that a phone that is launching in Q2 won't initially be coming with ICS. Still the hardware looks impressive. 1.5 ghz Dual core, 32 gb, 720p 4.3 inch screen, 12mp exmor R camera.

Xperia_S_A.jpg

First reviews tell us a real hardware powerhouse.www.cnet.co.uk
    With Sony now doing the mobiles on its own I would say this is the beginning of a serious assault on Samsungs sales leadership.ICS wont be long coming the ARC S is due to have it in april so I imagine a very rapid update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

This certainly looks like a nice handset, in fairness. Has an air of class about it that the high end SE's from the last couple of years were missing somehow..

I wish though, that manufacturers like Sony, who are trying to catch up with Samsung, give us a purer android experience. I know why companies like these won't give us vanilla android handsets but i think there's plenty android users out there would like less of an overlay than Touchwiz or Sense... I know i certainly would, plus ICS seems like OS that will will be spoiled by overlay somehow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Zonda999 wrote: »
    This certainly looks like a nice handset, in fairness. Has an air of class about it that the high end SE's from the last couple of years were missing somehow..

I wish though, that manufacturers like Sony, who are trying to catch up with Samsung, give us a purer android experience. I know why companies like these won't give us vanilla android handsets but i think there's plenty android users out there would like less of an overlay than Touchwiz or Sense... I know i certainly would, plus ICS seems like OS that will will be spoiled by overlay somehow..

SE's skin is already far lighter than either HTC's or Samsung's, it's easily the least modified of the customizations out there and it's the only one I can actually live with; but yeah, i'd much rather vanilla Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chris_john_lane

Being released end of this month in UK hopefully in ireland aswell. Im due upgrade so going to wait for it. Better than iphone and slighly better than samsung galaxy 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Being released end of this month in UK hopefully in ireland aswell. Im due upgrade so going to wait for it. Better than iphone and slighly better than samsung galaxy 2

How do you know it's being released at the end of the month? On the site it just says "coming soon".

Looks like a nice phone alright, and depending on its price i might consider getting it.

• Advertisement

I googled the release date. Was originally march but changed to end of this month. This is for UK tho. Ive phoned three and they couldnt tell me when they will have it for my upgrade. Should be soon tho.
    Eoin247 wrote: »

How do you know it's being released at the end of the month? On the site it just says "coming soon".

Looks like a nice phone alright, and depending on its price i might consider getting it.

Price will be 430 pounds sim free

Quote=chris_john_lane;76660599]I googled the release date. Was originally march but changed to end of this month. This is for UK tho. Ive phoned three and they couldnt tell me when they will have it for my upgrade. Should be soon tho.

[/Quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Was going to open another thread on similar vein about hanging on for the next releases. This Xperia S is due out in Feb in the UK I was told the other day in the Vodafone shop.

Are we going to see a raft of new releases in coming months? I'm looking to get a phone at the moment and it seems to be the SII or nothing but just not quite sure. Particularly, will be a bit irritated on an 18/24month contract if the SIII is out in March or April. I know that you could be hanging on for ever with the pace of development but to me it seems right now holding out for a few months might not be a bad idea.

Doc

I think the sony xperia s will be just as powerful as any other phone out in the nxt 18 months. And it will be getting android sandwich upgrade. The iphone 5 and samsung galaxy s3 will be about in the same league.

Quote=Doc Daneeka;76661105]Was going to open another thread on similar vein about hanging on for the next releases. This Xperia S is due out in Feb in the UK I was told the other day in the Vodafone shop.

Are we going to see a raft of new releases in coming months? I'm looking to get a phone at the moment and it seems to be the SII or nothing but just not quite sure. Particularly, will be a bit irritated on an 18/24month contract if the SIII is out in March or April. I know that you could be hanging on for ever with the pace of development but to me it seems right now holding out for a few months might not be a bad idea.

Doc[/Quote]

Just a shame about it being released with 2.3. They say it's going to be upgraded to 4.0 (ICS) by the summer, but from what i hear about android phones upgrading to an os they weren't released with, there are always problems.

• Advertisement

Is there any other phones out soon that would be worth getting ? I always try get the best out at the moment im due upgrade now but only SG2 out that i want.

Quote=Eoin247;76668429]Just a shame about it being released with 2.3. They say it's going to be upgraded to 4.0 (ICS) by the summer, but from what i hear about android phones upgrading to an os they weren't released with, there are always problems.[/Quote]

Is there any other phones out soon that would be worth getting ? I always try get the best out at the moment im due upgrade now but only SG2 out that i want.

Quote=Eoin247;76668429]Just a shame about it being released with 2.3. They say it's going to be upgraded to 4.0 (ICS) by the summer, but from what i hear about android phones upgrading to an os they weren't released with, there are always problems.
    [/QUOTE]

The problem is that most android phones only give a release date about a month in advance it seems. So a good few phones that were at the CES might be out soon, but we can't be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Have any Irish networks confirmed they are going to be carrying this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭vicM

flazio wrote: »

In my opinion Ireland always gets phones about a month after the UK. It's like we are an afterthought. So if the UK gets it in end Feb, expect an end of march early feb timeframe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Xperia_S_A.jpg

Another one that doesn't know if it's a phone or a tablet. Phone companies are getting obsessed with monster screen sizes wouldn't be seen dead with one of them in my hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

manual_man wrote: »
    Another one that doesn't know if it's a phone or a tablet. Phone companies are getting obsessed with monster screen sizes wouldn't be seen dead with one of them in my hands

Same size as a GS2. Its not exactly a Streak, Note or a Titan.
    And its a fine screen size. On my S2 I can touch every point on the screen without any awkwardness

Same size as a GS2. Its not exactly a Streak, Note or a Titan.
    And its a fine screen size. On my S2 I can touch every point on the screen without any awkwardness

Yeah but you know what i mean. Phones are getting massive! I had a GS1 before and i thought that was bordering on too big. I like my phones neat and comfortable to hold. I just find it annoying coz all the new best spec'd phones are monsters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Just a shame about it being released with 2.3. They say it's going to be upgraded to 4.0 (ICS) by the summer, but from what i hear about android phones upgrading to an os they weren't released with, there are always problems.

I am new to android and thinking of getting this phone. What do you mean when you say there could be problems updating to ice cream sandwitch?

I am new to android and thinking of getting this phone. What do you mean when you say there could be problems updating to ice cream sandwitch?

From what i've been reading on the web. Most android phones that are upgradable to the next os but ship with the previous one, have problems and bugs for weeks at least after updating to the new os.

From what i've been reading on the web. Most android phones that are upgradable to the next os but ship with the previous one, have problems and bugs for weeks at least after updating to the new os.

Have to say i've never had that problem. Having updated two Android devices. It also depends on the manufacturer though and the device. And of course the version of the os. Any first version of any os will always have a few teething problems. No different for Android compared to any other os really

• Advertisement

Due upgrade now but phone not out till nxt month !! Annoying

Any first version of any os will always have a few teething problems. No different for Android compared to any other os really

True, and i agree with that. However shipping with the os would usualy indicate that very few if any bugs would be included.

Any first version of any os will always have a few teething problems. No different for Android compared to any other os really

True, and i agree with that. However shipping with the os would usualy indicate that very few if any bugs would be included.

Granted. And I think it's very rare. Unless it's a bug that's common across the platform

I wouldn't be holding onto your hat. Ireland is (in)famous for getting handsets well after the UK gets them

Ya I'm the same. My iPhone 4 is out of contract I've had it for a while now and I am looking for a change. And this phone has really caught the eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

What holds me from order is a glass and lack of memory card, othervise tempting thingy :

http://versusio.com/en/sony-xperia-s-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-i9100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I wouldn't be holding onto your hat. Ireland is (in)famous for getting handsets well after the UK gets them

I wouldn't mind that so much if it meant that the ones Ireland get have Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box. Plus I'm not due an upgrade for 4 months anyway. Have a Samsung Wave at the minute and this is looking like the best upgrade at the minute.

Anyone got any news on what price plans we can expect here. I see the english phone companys have theirs up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Anyone got any news on what price plans we can expect here. I see the english phone companys have theirs up

o2 just confirmed this device not sure about the price plans but probably the usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

flazio wrote: »

Three have confirmed on their forum they'll have it mid March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

March 10th is the irish launch date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

€149 on the lowest contract price with Meteor or €409 PAYG

Really tempted with this as I can get €80 for trading in Desire and have a voucher too so will get it for a great price

I like the look of it and the screen size is perfect - 4.5 inch is getting too big so this one looks spot on. Great reviews of the screen and camera and it will get ICS very soon......but there are a few caveats....

Capacitive buttons are not supposed to be great - a bit unresponsive by all accounts
    there are reports that the pictures once blown up and printed are a little pixelated
    rubberised covers on charging port etc are a bit of a curse and the screen edge is said to be not really flush with the side of the phone.

I wonder if the HTC One series will be as well priced.....as they may be the phone to hold out for

I would really like to hear thoughts of anyone that has got this phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Off-topic probably, but is there a thread for the Xperia U anywhere?

Advertisement