Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling All Beef Experts!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kimia wrote: »
    Oh shin of beef. I don't know what to call it here in Canada so I just miss it loads. I tried shank of beef but the flavour was totally not the same.

Now, bone-in beef short ribs are my new go to - A. Mazing!!!!!!
    The problem with different cuts and naming.

Shin refers to the front leg of beef, the rear is simply just leg.
    A quick google suggest that both shin and leg are refered to as shank in the US and canada. but the flavour shouldn't be very different, it was more likely the cooking.

If you ask for a foreshank, its should be the cut labeled shin in the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Kimia wrote: »
    Oh shin of beef. I don't know what to call it here in Canada so I just miss it loads. I tried shank of beef but the flavour was totally not the same.

Now, bone-in beef short ribs are my new go to - A. Mazing!!!!!!

Yup I've recently discovered the joy of stewing short ribs.
    It's now a toss up between them and shin for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Yup I've recently discovered the joy of stewing short ribs.
    It's now a toss up between them and shin for me.

I'm drooling over all this talk of tasty cuts. I've never heard of short ribs or shin. My wife came home 2 weeks ago all smiles saying "I got a nice big steak for tonight." I checked the packet, it said round steak. She slept in the shed that night. Joke. I decided to stew it and it was fine I suppose. I'm no expert since I haven't tried Sirloin like the OP, or these other types.

What do yous do with shin and ribs? Stew only, or some other way?

Cuts of meat in Ireland:
    http://www.gleesonbutchers.ie/meat_cuts.htm#beef

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I made a stew recently with round steak, not my usual choice for stew mind, and added a piece of oktail. It was savage.

My mother, the maker of an almighty stew, heaped praise on it. That's a great endorsement right there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

What do yous do with shin and ribs? Stew only, or some other way?

Shin of beef is excellent for Beef Rendang - the recipe below is one I repeat her a lot and is from James Oseland's excellent cookbook - Cradle of Flavour.

Beef Rendang recipe for four sparrows (two hungry people in our house with a bit left over for my lunch)

For the paste

1 onion
    1 thumb sized knob of fresh ginger
    4 cloves garlic
    1 lemongrass stalk, tough outer layer removed and roughly chopped
    1 tsp turmeric
    2 long red fresh chillies
    1 nut of nutmeg or 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
    4 cloves or a couple of pinches of ground clove

Blitz all of that to a paste and add to wok or non stick pan (Non stick pan is best)

Next the whole spices

1 thumb sized knob of galangal cut into discs
    1 cinnamon stick
    4 kaffir lime leaves

Then add 400ml/14fl oz coconut milk, same amount of water and 600g braising steak, cut into 2cm/1inch cubes. I use shin of beef here - the connective tissue in the shin meat keeps the whole thing from drying out.

Bring the whole concoction to the boil and simmer for about 90 minutes to two hours covered. Check a couple of times that it is not sticking.
    Uncover and start to reduce the liquid content. This bit should take from 30 minutes to 1 hour. The rendang will start life as a pale yellow colour - as the liquid boils off, it will gradually darken until the meat and solids are frying in the oil from the coconut milk. As the last of the liquid evaporates, it is important to keep stirring and watch the heat. It will burn easily (hence the non stick pan). It should darken to a rich mahogany colour.

Rendang is a dry curry from Malaysia - if you prefer you curry with a little sauce (I do) add a little water right at the end, ie when the frying has produced it's magic. Serve with plain boiled rice, a little fresh coriander and a pile of bean shoots.

• Advertisement
Advertisement