Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Town mental tonight

Options
  • 10-01-2012 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭

It's Monday in January, but town is mental. Full of drunken people-of-student-age, queues outside all the nightclubs.

What's the deal? I thought students all did heads down to the study at this time of year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭eire.man

JustMary wrote: »
    It's Tuesday in January, but town is mental. Full of drunken people-of-student-age, queues outside all the nightclubs.

What's the deal? I thought students all did heads down to the study at this time of year.

if you were staring down their future prospects you'd probably be out drinking too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ah lovely, the students are back. :D

The exams were before christmas Mary you old fogey!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

I thought students all did heads down to the study at this time of year.

First day back for students and exams were pre-xmas so the 'heads down and study' is a fair bit away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Was in the NUIG Gym earlier, a group of lads were drinking cans in the changing rooms :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 DickBunce

JJayoo wrote: »
    Was in the NUIG Gym earlier, a group of lads were drinking cans in the changing rooms :pac:

Saw loads hanging around Eyre Square on the way home. Far too much money!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

DickBunce wrote: »
    Saw loads hanging around Eyre Square on the way home. Far too much money!

Good thing there's no fees otherwise they wouldn't be able afford a few tins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Good thing there's no fees otherwise they wouldn't be able afford a few tins

Good things there's unconditional love from mammy and daddy. "We don't need money for our future son, go get drunk as much as possible, and please don't ever think about getting any type of part-time job, we love paying for everything derp derp derp DERP"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It's Monday in January, but town is mental. Full of drunken people-of-student-age, queues outside all the nightclubs.

Yeah back to school ;)

We happened to be out tonight for a birthday and wandered in to craazy territory. T'was like free drugs tbh! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Hello world

Students out drinking, so its obvious they have far to much money and should be paying fees and getting no help from their parents. Yup we have heard it before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ah lovely, the students are back. :D

The exams were before christmas Mary you old fogey!
    No sponge bob some of us had our exams last week and this week, Mary isnt that wrong.

As for town, i was out back the west and twas a normal Monday there, maybe its just the older individual shocked at not seeing town quiet on every night bar the one they go out.

As for town, i was out back the west and twas a normal Monday there, maybe its just the older individual shocked at not seeing town quiet on every night bar the one they go out.

Ha ha! It was more the staff rolling their eyes and saying "Jaysus, it's f*cking mental in here tonight for a Monday"!
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

yes they were swarming around the place with cases of booze and bottles. First day back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No sponge bob some of us had our exams last week and this week, Mary isnt that wrong.

I'm glad for you that the west was normal.

I live right in town. Trust me, I know mental vs normally rowdy. If it was race or rag week, last night would have been normal. For a regular January night it was not.

I'm glad for you that the west was normal.

I live right in town. Trust me, I know mental vs normally rowdy. If it was race or rag week, last night would have been normal. For a regular January night it was not.
    For the record i live in the middle of town too, didn't notice it being that bad but fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Aye, GMIT have exams at the moment but NUIG had them before Christmas so it's party time for all the kiddies who aren't desperately waiting on the next grant installment! In fairness it's not about having too much money. Give them loads of money, they will have proper food and drink. Give them feck all money, they will have koka noodles and drink! It's all part of being 18!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Funny, there was a think on Newstalk yesterday about the drink problem in the country and how it's getting worse in younger age groups with talk of a rumoured huge increase in drink prices. Some guy from DIT was on ****en on about it and how much it's hurting the economy due to drink related incidents being so common. I would have thought the money being made from selling all the drink would off-set the cost of all the accidents and emergencies but I guess not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Welcome to Galway, where the locals whinge about the economy when the place is dead, and whinge about students having too much money when they're spending it everywhere.

Welcome to Galway, where the locals whinge about the economy when the place is dead, and whinge about students having too much money when they're spending it everywhere.

I for one anyway was't whinging - more observing/agreeing. I was actually quite entertained by the mentalness (and no one puked on me or hit me!):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Students out drinking, so its obvious they have far to much money and should be paying fees and getting no help from their parents. Yup we have heard it before

Since fees were abolished in the 90's, the quality of courses has steadily declined and the number of useless degrees has increased owing to the fact that more meaningnless courses = more money for the colleges.

If fees were reintroduced:

a. it would give the universities/colleges the necessary money to maintain courses

b. it would mean that the purposeless courses that were introduced in recent years would slowly die a death as people realise that spending circa 5000 euro on a B.A in Shite isn't such a good idea

c. it would mean that students whose parents are spending a minimum of 15,000 euro on a degree course before their child is fed or watered will have to think twice about spending months on end on the piss in town.

Win win situation as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not whinging about the fact that they have money to spend ... fair play to Mammy and Daddy that they do.

However I'm not always entirely amused by the way they choose to behave in our streets, especially streets where it's blatantly obvious that people live.

I'm not whinging about the fact that they have money to spend ... fair play to Mammy and Daddy that they do.

However I'm not always entirely amused by the way they choose to behave in our streets, especially streets where it's blatantly obvious that people live.
    Always amazes me how some people are born at age 40 and dont have teenage years or early adulthood, they just jump straight to cranky middle age ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mary and I party together all the time. Your round of slammers next time Mary. :D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Mary and I party together all the time. Your round of slammers next time Mary. :D
    Haha i havent heard the word 'slammers' in years. Its shots nowadays.

Or, you know, they might be some of the students who were lucky enough to find a part-time job that wasn't already taken by an adult who didn't get the proper qualifications when they were younger to have a career position.

If it wasn't for the colleges in Galway the city would just be a glorified Clifden. Have you been there in the winter? Grim.

Or, you know, they might be some of the students who were lucky enough to find a part-time job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

... fair play to Mammy and Daddy that they do.

You are trolling... Surely?
    Or, you know, they might be some of the students who were lucky enough to find a part-time job that wasn't already taken by an adult who didn't get the proper qualifications when they were younger to have a career position.

Yup thats me. Two part time jobs going AND a 30 hour college week. Its not easy keeping everything up so its nice to let off some steam with friends the odd night. Agree with the comment of some people being born at age 40! :rolleyes: Work hard play hard I say! One thing that really annoys me though, is the looks of contempt from occupy Galway if you walk past late at night. Here I am doing something productive with my life, AND benifitting the economy, while they sit on their arses all day everyday, are on the dole AND take donations. ha. pathetic.

You are trolling... Surely?

Yup thats me. Two part time jobs going AND a 30 hour college week. Its not easy keeping everything up so its nice to let off some steam with friends the odd night. Agree with the comment of some people being born at age 40! :rolleyes: Work hard play hard I say! One thing that really annoys me though, is the looks of contempt from occupy Galway if you walk past late at night. Here I am doing something productive with my life, AND benifitting the economy, while they sit on their arses all day everyday, are on the dole AND take donations. ha. pathetic.

Would you say you are the rule or the exception? Do you think most people who are out when you go out are letting lose having worked their 2 or 3 short hour contracts to pay their way?...

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Would you say you are the rule or the exception? Do you think most people who are out when you go out are letting lose having worked their 2 or 3 short hour contracts to pay their way?...
    Forgive me for not noticing the abundance of part-time jobs just waiting for those lazy students to stroll into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Wompa1 wrote: »

I think the majority of students have a source of income other than Mammy/Daddy/Grant, yes. At least, the students I seem to be surrounded by anyway! But it isn't a huge issue not having a part-time job. It just means serious budgeting every week for that particular night out. If that means eating less and going without phone credit or toilet paper then thats what students will do! Social life is still at the top of priorities along with passing the year so whatever the income of a student, there will always be just enough cash to have one night out a week. I just didn't like JustMary's (implied?) suggestion that all students who let loose are being wholly funded by weekly bank lodgements from their parents! :)

Advertisement