Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems with principal

• 10-01-2012 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi

I have been teaching in my school for the past 2 years and my relationship with the principal has never been more than that of an acquaintance, as is usual with most of the teachers in our school. Of those teachers who fall outside the acquaintance category, there are 2 polor opposite groups, principal worshippers and those whom the principal hates. I have unfortunately become one of the latter group this past academic year, and I have bourn much of the wroth of the principal's anger, not in person, but through a series of emails, where he has sought to demean, upset and belittle me as much as possible in my role as a teacher. I had to take some time off before Christmas as I could no longer deal with the pressure at school, I went back before Christmas and tried to speak to the principal on an informal basis, but after one day back today, I know I'm not able for the situation in which I find myself. I will have to ring in sick again tomorrow and I dont know when or how I can return. I have two main worries, my leaving cert class, an extremely bright honours group that I feel I am letting down, and my own job security as I approach my CID.

Any advice on what to do......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

Go to your GP tomorrow and explain exactly how you are feeling. Perhaps get a cert for some time off. Also, contact the Employee Assistance Service asap: https://www.vhi.ie/jsp/employers/employeeassistanceprogramme.jsp

Then contact the Union and arrange a meeting with someone. A meeting is far better than a phone call. Before the meeting, write down in points how the situation developed. This will help clarify things in your own mind and also make sure you don't forget something. Also write down any specific questions you want to ask - and be sure to write down the answers you get. And bring print-outs of the emails from the Principal.

Is there someone on staff you can confide in that can give you support? In any situation where there is tension between a staff member and the Principal, I would always recommend that the teacher have someone accompany them at any meeting, both formal and informal. It keeps the meeting calmer and more measured, and is a witness to statements and decisions. This is very important, as when you are stressed you can misjudge what is said and afterwards find that you can't remember some of what was said. It helps if the other person is a permanent staff member that the Principal respects, someone calm and positive. The union rep will always accompany you if asked, but you need to judge if this would be helpful or inflammatory.

It would be best if the situation could be resolved amicably for your job's sake. Try to keep that at the forefront of discussions with the Principal - 'how can I improve so that my work is satisfactory? what can I do so that you're really happy with my work?' - rather that being confrontational.

Don't worry about your Leaving Certs. You'll make up the time with them. What you need to do now is first, save your sanity and your health and second, save your job. And you need support to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

It seems very odd that he is sending you emails. Show them to your union.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sadly, Principal's favourites and in-clubs are not that rare, neither are Principals who bully, but one foolish enough to leave a written record of their bullying is one in a million.

Take it to the union and majorly rattle his/her box. If anything, it would strengthen your position as anything untoward happening regarding you in the future with regard to your CID would be seen as victimisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭2011abc

Sounds exactly like my place except nearly all of us hate the bully!Tread carefully...Wait till you have your CID before going on the offensive .Sadly these kinds of bullies often only understand fear and there's no point trying to reason with them politely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Yes - I agree the OP needs to get the CID - but it looks like the principal could be picking off before this happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi

I have been teaching in my school for the past 2 years and my relationship with the principal has never been more than that of an acquaintance, as is usual with most of the teachers in our school. Of those teachers who fall outside the acquaintance category, there are 2 polor opposite groups, principal worshippers and those whom the principal hates. I have unfortunately become one of the latter group this past academic year, and I have bourn much of the wroth of the principal's anger, not in person, but through a series of emails, where he has sought to demean, upset and belittle me as much as possible in my role as a teacher. I had to take some time off before Christmas as I could no longer deal with the pressure at school, I went back before Christmas and tried to speak to the principal on an informal basis, but after one day back today, I know I'm not able for the situation in which I find myself. I will have to ring in sick again tomorrow and I dont know when or how I can return. I have two main worries, my leaving cert class, an extremely bright honours group that I feel I am letting down, and my own job security as I approach my CID.

Any advice on what to do......

he emailed you? brilliant! he had provided you with a written record.
    unions some time help though the school rep can be a joke. if that is the case ring them up. that is what you pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

Go in to work tomorrow and everyday until you have your CID. Don't give them any excuse.

Just curious as to what type of abuse you got in the email? was it explicit or implicit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 capdail

I would tend to agree with spurious, you should get the unoin onto it immediately, you do not have to put up with abuse just to get your CID. Some of the posts here seem to suggest that your whole future is in this principal's hands and that he can take away some or all of your hours on a whim, this is not true, any hours you have are protected by legislation and should any additional hours arise in the subject you are contracted to teach you must get those hours before a teacher employed after you.

It seems as if you are being bullied/discriminated against already, stand up and fight, things can't get any worse. Unions can be tedious to deal with but keep onto the school rep, area rep and head office, do not take no for an answer.

If you can't cope with coming back to school at the moment and if a doctor can certify that you are unfit to work for whatever reason, I think that you should not return to work as legally you can not do so, any advice that you should work every day upto your CID is unhelpful. If you are not fit for work and the reason for this inability to work is caused by your working conditions in the first place, then maybe you need to assess the situation carefully:o

Advertisement