Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network setup in Shannon

• 10-01-2012 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Does anyone know of anyone that sets up home networks in the Shannon area

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do you want to set up a wired, or a wireless network? Wireless is fairly easy, wired would usually mean contacting an electrician, and getting them to put network points around the house, and connect those network points to one point, where you'd have a network switch.

An alternative would be something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004INVKP4/

Allows you to send network traffic through the electrical circuit in your house. For example, in my living room I have my UPC broadband box. Connect that to one of those plugs with a network cable. Plug the plug into the wall. Plug the other plug into a socket in another room. That socket now acts as a network point in the house. Connect that to a switch, and your home office / gaming area can all connect to the modem over a wired connection. You can add as many as you like.

I think you can get faster than 200mbps, but really it should be fine for most uses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

As MarkR has said, it is very easy to setup your own network at home using homeplugs or a wireless solution, let us know what you are looking to get done and we should be able to give some guideance.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

Clareman wrote: »
    As MarkR has said, it is very easy to setup your own network at home using homeplugs or a wireless solution, let us know what you are looking to get done and we should be able to give some guideance.

Thanks guys, originally my problem was the infamous zyxel router it kept dropping connections, so I bought a belkin play n600db, the connection is now constant but weak, I've heard about people using a router as a booster or access point to extend the wifi, now I have googled it but I might as well be looking into a bush with the instructions that are given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Does you new router have a port for an external aerial? Are the aerials connected to it removable and upgradable? If so you could buy new aerials for about €10 delivered on eBay and that would sort you out as well sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've used second routers to extend my network, it really isn't worth the hassle IMVHO, I now have 1 of these to hook up my xbox, PS3 and media player under the TV, works perfectly.

Can you move your router to another room in the house? ideally upstairs, this might improve things a bit, also, try to move it as far away from other appliances, especially speakers & microwaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

Clareman wrote: »
    I've used second routers to extend my network, it really isn't worth the hassle IMVHO, I now have 1 of these to hook up my xbox, PS3 and media player under the TV, works perfectly.

Can you move your router to another room in the house? ideally upstairs, this might improve things a bit, also, try to move it as far away from other appliances, especially speakers & microwaves.

Does that connect to the consoles or just plug into the electrical mains ?

You plug both into the mains via power cable, 1 has 4 network ports, I have that behind the consoles with network cables connecting them up, the other has 1 network port and is upstairs next to my router plugged in with a network cable. No setup, no configuring, it just works.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you just get the pair of plugs, you can get a network switch (like this) on the busy end of your connection.

For example, broadband modem cable to plug 1. Plug 1 to electrical circuit. Electrical circuit to plug 2. Plug 2 to network switch. Network switch to whatever other devices (switch is like an extension lead for a network)

Oh, and they don't work well with extension leads actually.

If you'd like to borrow a pair to test with let me know. Not for too long though. My ps3 is connected to it and I'd miss it. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jhud

Hi Frank

I am working in Shannon in IT and can help you with any setup if you want assistance. I am in Shannon this evening

Regards
    John

Advertisement