Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA with a national Cert?

Options
  • 10-01-2012 3:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi

I havea national Certificate in Business studies and am planning on heading back this year.

Will i qualify for btea to continue on with this course?

Out of curiousity would i qualify if ichose a completely different course such as science etc?

We're having a debate here about it lol

I say i can carry on my course but not start a new one am i right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 clarab

One more question to add and i'm going to sleep lol

I am trying to get my fees through the second chance student, seven years since i failed my third year
    :(
    Anyway i'm just worried that i won't qualifybecause i took an online fas course this year just for something to study,please tell me a fas course won't ruin it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP,

In your case you can get BTEA for year three of your course as long as you meet the BTEA eligibility criteria. Details here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx

As you already hold a level 6 qualification if you were to take a completely new course and start in the first year of it you would (a) have to pay the tuition and registration fee and (b) more than likely not receive BTEA.

The reason being that you already hold a 2 year qualification and the DSP or the DES usually don't fund you unless you are progressing not repeating a qualification level. Obviously there can be exceptions made on a case by case basis but this is becoming less common these times.

If you are applying under second chance you should get your fees etc as long as the college offers you a place but you can check with the DES student Support unit; 057 9325317.

The FAS course shouldn't have any bearing on your third level eligibility as the FAS course would be considered to be at a lower level on the qualifications framework than year 3 of a Ord or Hons degree.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 clarab

Thanks very much that's the clearest info ihave received!

Think my next thing is to chat with credit union about a loan. Wish i had waited a few years before starting college i definitely understand the importance of it now i'm older lol.

Advertisement