Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lackingabilitytobewitty.com

• 10-01-2012 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Have started to see an increase in the amount of people using this abhorrent little ditty in everyday language.

You may have seen or heard it yourself. "I was totally embarrassed.com."

Basically when somebody puts a domain name after a noun in a vain attempt to sound hip or in some way witty. It's not, it's just irritating.

I'm not a terrible stickler for these things usually, but something about this one in particular makes me cringe.

I came across one on an after hours thread just there, "I was locked.com on Sat night." Thought I'd get an idea what people think about it.

Am I missing the joke or something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

So you're annoyed.com by this behaviour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Never heard it but it sounds like a dose of shite alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

sounds re-tarded alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Arpa wrote: »
    Have started to see an increase in the amount of people using this abhorrent little ditty in everyday language.

Basically when somebody puts a domain name after a noun in a vain attempt to sound hip or in some way witty. It's not, it's just irritating.

I'm not a terrible stickler for these things usually, but something about this one in particular makes me cringe.

I came across one on an after hours thread just there, "I was locked.com on Sat night." Thought I'd get an idea what people think about it.

Right with you on this.

It's just an embarrassing case of trying far too hard to be cool, the same as rhyming slang and made-up words like "staycation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

ah let the silly people have rthier fad for a while. they'll grow up at smome point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I assure you that in 1999, that was the most hilarious thing ever, hearty belly laughs, rolling around the floor - every time, no word of a lie.
    People who appropriate it now though (youths typically) are just utter contemptible and hugely unfunny morons

.COM

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I assure you that in 1999, that was the most hilarious thing ever, hearty belly laughs, rolling around the floor - every time, no word of a lie.
    People who appropriate it now though (youths typically) are just utter contemptible and hugely unfunny morons

i do belibe you mean rofl :cool:

webuyanycar.com

Id love to stab the bollox who made that one up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Not in 1999! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I suspect you might move in a circle of muppets OP, so maybe it's time to break the circle perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I facking hate when people say something ending in .com this kind of behaviour is rife on Facebook

mao!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Think you need to chill out man !

Peach amach and love to all.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I think its kinda fun.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

No one over here does that bullsh!t by the way.

It's so different over here.com.au

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

You're only starting to see it now??

I've been enduring it for years at this stage, myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Think it started with confused.com, yon car insurance company. Bunch of díckheads, anyone who actually uses it in real life.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Not in 1999! :p

indeed. back then it would've been much more of a novellty term. it may actually hav emeant a persno was rolling on the tfloor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

op.urafagget.co.uk/raginghomo

Spunge wrote: »

lulzers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Yeah I find it annoying too.

Bit like the way people have destroyed the word "random" through overuse. I liked it before it was popular, now it's ruined for me.

It has also come to my attention that the word "totes" really annoys me.

Have a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Well it's been around longer than I have noticed it seems. Thank God, I'm just getting what appears to be the tail end of it now.

I was talking with a bloke in the pub on Saturday night and he used something along the lines of, "She's hot.com" or some ****e. I wanted to smack him right there.

I think in certain situations it could be mildly funny. Very specific website related banter though. It just doesn't make sense. Most jokes have a double meaning or something on which they work, so they are a little clever, but this is just putting .com after a noun. It doesn't even work on the first level which is why it comes across as something trying to be smart but isn't.

Hate bringing up a topic like this, makes me feel like I'm on an episode of that stupid programme on Dave, Grumpy Young Men. Those top 50/100/200 programs are a whole new thread of irritating shyte.

Spunge wrote: »

That actually was funny enough. Particularly because it's an anagram of

arguefagpot.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Niles wrote: »
    Bit like the way people have destroyed the word "random" through overuse. I liked it before it was popular , now it's ruined for me
    know your meme dot com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

This .com shít and hugs are the reason I carry knives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

you must have been board.ie to start this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I thought the whole fúckoff.dom thing had been played out a decade ago or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

I suspect you might move in a circle of muppets OP, so maybe it's time to break the circle perhaps?

Breakthecircle.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

this is nothing new my child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Appending .com to things is so noughties.
    #hashtagisthenewdotcom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

ah let the silly people have rthier fad for a while. they'll grow up at smome point

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuppppppppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Appending .com to things is so noughties.
    #hashtagisthenewdotcom
    It's called the zeros not the noughties you fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

It's called the zeros not the noughties you fool.

You're both wrong. It's the two-thousands! :D

Seriously though, I'll take "zeros" before "noughties". I absolutely detest the latter term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Niles wrote: »
    Yeah I find it annoying too.

Bit like the way people have destroyed the word "random" through overuse. I liked it before it was popular, now it's ruined for me.

It has also come to my attention that the word "totes" really annoys me.

Have a nice day.

You hipster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

#someonehadtheircornflakespissedin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

.com and simples at the end of a sentence. Both used in annoying insurance ads. Anyone who uses them is a fucking cretin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

RonMexico wrote: »
    .com and simples at the end of a sentence. Both used in annoying insurance ads. Anyone who uses them is a fucking cretin.

dats ri-ight

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

I used to say lastminute.com but thats cos there is a website by that name.

I don't know of any bored.com or tired.com or annoyed.com.

I didn't say it to be funny, I just said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

If you are so annoyed by it why did you choose that title for your thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I was talking with a bloke in the pub on Saturday night and he used something along the lines of, "She's hot.com" or some ****e. I wanted to smack him right there.

Most jokes have a double meaning or something on which they work, so they are a little clever, but this is just putting .com after a noun. It doesn't even work on the first level which is why it comes across as something trying to be smart but isn't.

These are not nouns, that is what annoys me most about your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

cloneslad wrote: »
    These are not nouns, that is what annoys me most about your post.

Fair point, but you know what I mean. After a noun, a verb, a transient verb, an adverb, an adjective etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

John Doe1 wrote: »
    If you are so annoyed by it why did you choose that title for your thread

irony.edu!! Look it up sometime! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

somebodyobviouslygotblastedwithpiss.biz

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

I wouldn't say it annoys me but it makes me cringe.
    I am so wrecked.com
    Board.com (bored!)
    Confused.com
    Hatehomework.com
    Etc. at least once a day I see it. It was funny - about 13 years ago.

Feckoff.com etc

Advertisement