Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swedish fire torch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I like it, its clean and quite elegent. Handy if you have some well prepaired logs around but I expect it may be harder to light than the video suggests.

I will give this ago this week, maybe try and cook my lunch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Allegedly a Finish invention (see jätkänkynttilä). Big logs can be cut with a chainsaw to produce a decent gap without splitting the entire log and that way you can stand it in wet ground or snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Allegedly a Finish invention (see jätkänkynttilä). Big logs can be cut with a chainsaw to produce a decent gap without splitting the entire log and that way you can stand it in wet ground or snow.

It works with an axe too. have a length about two, three feet (a metre) and don't split it the whole way down, just top of it. Other than that it works the same as in the video, and as you say lifts it off swamp or snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Tabnabs wrote: »

I will be starting the chainsaw at the weekend, this looks a lot more fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I will stick with the Kelly Kettle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

CamperMan wrote: »
    I will stick with the Kelly Kettle
    I love the kelly kettles myself alright but handy to have a backup too. Technically you could build a camp fire floating beside a life raft with this setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I love the kelly kettles myself alright but handy to have a backup too. Technically you could build a camp fire floating beside a life raft with this setup.

You'd get some stick if you burnt the life raft down :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Compliments of my friends on Arbtalk

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/31323-swedish-logs.html

these guys make them and sell them. Apparantly a big barbecue item of interest at the beach if one gets the weather.

you know what....

I have a big pile of logs in the garden

I will try this soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

you know what....

I have a big pile of logs in the garden

I will try this soon :)
    Post up pics afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Have an old tree of some description down I've been meaning to cut up, must sharpen the chains and have a go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Seems like it would be easier just to build a fire and hang the pot over it :confused:

Hibrion wrote: »
    Seems like it would be easier just to build a fire and hang the pot over it :confused:

what if you didn't have anything with you to hang a pot with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

what if you didn't have anything with you to hang a pot with?

If you have access to logs of that size, there are bound to be some branches there too. A pot hanger is one of the easiest things to make at camp.

It just seems like a solution that's looking for a problem to me. But, each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Tried one of these tonight in my stove for shts&giggles.Four whacks with an axe into a 4inX4in round of Magnus carpa,and a firelighter.That was around 19:00, still burning now.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Lifehacker just covered them here, though they call it a "Russian Stove".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Lifehacker just covered them here, though they call it a "Russian Stove".

Ah, that made me hungry. Feck it lol

Advertisement