Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22lr to .17mr

Options
  • 10-01-2012 6:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Hi can someone tell me to change from a .22 lr to a .17 hmr is this a new application or a substitution thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

gearoidol wrote: »
    Hi can someone tell me to change from a .22 lr to a .17 hmr is this a new application or a substitution thanks

Once your reason for needing the firearm has not changed you can do a sub. This is how i changed from .22lr to .17hmr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Just done the same thing but in reverse on a Sub.
    Had no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

It is up to your super at the end of the day. Some will do it some wont altho i cant see it being an issue. Always a good idea to ring your FO first and talk to them about it

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭robbie mars

What about rimfire to center fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

i just got the .22 in december after a 4 month wait (first Lic),would it look bad or strange to the local fo if i put in a sub so soon for a .17hmr.Should i wait a few months.

I really feel i should have gone for the .17hmr in the first place,put to be honest i didnt even know there was such a calibre (price per round,flat trajectory) even existed!
    After a lamping session last night i must have come across 10 foxs 100 - 125 yards out that there was no point in taking a shot at with subsonics and a .22

• Advertisement

What about rimfire to center fire?
    I got a straight sub from my hmr to 223 and added a mod no problem but like i said its up to the super

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

gearoidol wrote: »
    i just got the .22 in december after a 4 month wait (first Lic),would it look bad or strange to the local fo if i put in a sub so soon for a .17hmr.Should i wait a few months.

I really feel i should have gone for the .17hmr in the first place,put to be honest i didnt even know there was such a calibre (price per round,flat trajectory) even existed!
    After a lamping session last night i must have come across 10 foxs 100 - 125 yards out that there was no point in taking a shot at with subsonics and a .22

You won't know till you ask. Plus all you have to say is your .22 is faulty so your swapping it for a .17
    Don't do anything rash, .22 rounds are far cheaper then .17
    Also it's only your first gun so chill ax a bit, there'll always be foxes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

Hunter21 wrote: »
    You won't know till you ask. Plus all you have to say is your .22 is faulty so your swapping it for a .17
    Don't do anything rash, .22 rounds are far cheaper then .17
    Also it's only your first gun so chill ax a bit, there'll always be foxes around.

Thanks for the advice appreciate it .We have a .22 at home though for nearly 5 years now though so this is just my first gun in my own name .
    I know what ur saying about the price of ammo but to be honest when we go out if i fired 20 shots it would be alot so even in .17hmr that would not be a costly trip.
    During the day i find the .22 grand out to about 80 - 90 yards but while lamping it so hard to try and guess the distances involved when i dont know the fields well enough (Others do so they make sure we have a good bakstop) and i fell if i had the .17 here cause of the flat shot i would have an easier time.
    So would others agree on just saying the .22 was faulty and go this route,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Practice your calling, i wouldn't change the .22, hold onto it and save up for a centrefire rifle if u can

ormondprop wrote: »
    Practice your calling, i wouldn't change the .22, hold onto it and save up for a centrefire rifle if u can

So if you had a .22 and a 17hmr but now was thinking of getting a centerfire rifle what would be the next "step up" so to put it.

• Advertisement

So if you had a .22 and a 17hmr but now was thinking of getting a centerfire rifle what would be the next "step up" so to put it.
    there is no point in having those 2 cals, if you can only have one rifle and want to shoot a few bunnies and a few foxes then the hmr is your man but if you want to shoot bunnies and get into lamping foxes seriously you should get a 22lr and a hornet, 204,223 22-250 ect

there is no point in having those 2 cals, if you can only have one rifle and want to shoot a few bunnies and a few foxes then the hmr is your man but if you want to shoot bunnies and get into lamping foxes seriously you should get a 22lr and a hornet, 204,223 22-250 ect

The thing is my son who is 19, wants to get his own rifle now and we already have 2 x 22's there is no point getting another but would he get a 22 hornet for his first license ?

The thing is my son who is 19, wants to get his own rifle now and we already have 2 x 22's there is no point getting another but would he get a 22 hornet for his first license ?
    It is all up to your super. Dusty who posts here got a 223 for his first rifle no problem. Id say if its centrefire your lookin for go 223. loads of different rounds available, cheap ones for plinking and expensive ones for shooting foxes. Will work alot further out than a hornet and they are cheaper to shoot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Why don't you licence one of the 22's in his name and get the hornet for yourself?

declan1980 wrote: »
    Why don't you licence one of the 22's in his name and get the hornet for yourself?

That's just the thing, I don't know what to do,
    I would like to get a larger caliber but unsure, It needs to be cheap enough to feed.

declan1980 wrote: »

That's just the thing, I don't know what to do,
    I would like to get a larger caliber but unsure, It needs to be cheap enough to feed.
    223 then i reckon. You can go from 50 cent or so a shot if you shop around for the cheap stiff which dev has shown works very well at long range up to 1.60 or more a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

If you want to and can afford to get another rifle along with your 22 lets say you get a .17 rim fire or go up the calibers to centre fire 204, 223 or 22-250 if you give a good enough reason then the superintendent has no reason to refuse your application.

Best of both worlds then and your son can licence the 22 then :D

Advertisement