Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree felling in Ennis

• 10-01-2012 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

A lot of trees are being felled in Ennis over the last couple of months. The whole row near the Maid of Erin roundabout is gone, on the way to the Gort road, we have now the pleasure of looking at the unwashed windows of what i pressume is the school. Also near St. Flannans trees are cut . Are they having a disease or what is the story, i would like to know as it is worrying. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Firewood.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A friend of mine is a teacher in Flannan's and he thought that the trees around Flannan's were being cut down because they had the potential of becoming dangerous or knocked during a storm, there is also a plan to have new trees replanted to replace what were removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Nameinuse wrote: »
    A lot of trees are being felled in Ennis over the last couple of months. The whole row near the Maid of Erin roundabout is gone, on the way to the Gort road, we have now the pleasure of looking at the unwashed windows of what i pressume is the school. Also near St. Flannans trees are cut . Are they having a disease or what is the story, i would like to know as it is worrying. Thanks

I'd presume the ones by St.Flannans are being cut for safety regarding their age and size.

Yes you presume correct, the school is Ennis Community College beside the Maid of Erin. Trees were felled to let in natural light into the clasrooms. I'd say the darkness within the rooms from the shading must have been dreadful. You may have the 'pleasure' of looking at unwashed windows while the student's work environment is improved. Which do you think is more important?

Also if you would wish to offer your services to washing the windows of the school I am sure they will facilitate you in some way. Contact them regarding your gripe of their windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Nameinuse

I think it is a terrible crime to cut those trees for those reasons. No better education for these students than to look out of the window and see a bit of nature. If they were diseased, fair enough, but apparently not. Anyway, the damage is done. I am gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The community college trees were only some sort of fast growing pine or something? Not very old or attractive anyway. Whoever planted them that close to the building and didn't trim them was an eejit.

The trees around flannans are a totally different story. They already knocked a rake of them when they built the roundabout and moved the entrance 20 years ago. Those are beautiful and take 80(?) years to grow back so knocking those is a disgrace.

My road used be lined in oak trees and everybody knocked them bar ourselves and a couple of others. It's a shame nobody appreciates them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Before anyone blames the school you do have to realise insurance controls this. I had a mate who had to cut down a large oak in his front garden which had been there for like 50 years. He loved it, but after a storm a branch hit the house and after that insurance said it had to go or they would drop the policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I like the new ennis. Im delighted the trees by Ryan's Centra were taken town. Makes the ares so much brighter and clean. I like the ones gone by the Tek again brighter. but the ones by flannan's not so gone on. There is the one that is digging up the path i would like to see that gone and replaced. But there history. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The community college trees were only some sort of fast growing pine or something? Not very old or attractive anyway. Whoever planted them that close to the building and didn't trim them was an eejit.

I love trees but I have to agree with you about the trees on the Ashfield side of the Community College, there was nothing remotely attractive about them, they just seemed to be some cheap fast growing variety. The school is close to the road so perhaps those trees were once an effective sound barrier. However, that road has got much quieter since the Ennis ByPass was opened.

On the Harmony Row side of the school there are some really beautiful Cherry Blossom trees, the gorgeous pink flowers always appear just ahead of exam time :)

Advertisement