Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing in the boyne/oldbridge area

Options
  • 10-01-2012 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi folks, just enquiring to see if anyone can give me a bit of info. Im planning on bringing my 6 year old out on his first fishing trip(s) this year. Im living up in Balbriggan and was planning on heading up towards the boyne/Louth/Meath area (not too far). I myself havent been for a bit myself and have fished down around the home area on the Barrow and the nore only. I dont do fly (yea I know, shame on me), and have mainly done course (got some great Bream in my time) fishing. Id be very grateful on whatever info you can give me, ie clubs, fees etc. Definatly would like to know about free fishing as its only going to be a couple of trips this year to start us off. Whats the story with the canal around Oldbridge?
    Thanks for the info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

If I were in your position I'd head for the Boatpond, Virginia in Cavan. It wouldn't take you that long to tip over to it.
    No permit. Catch & Release only. Single barbless hook, A few maggots and away with you, the kids will be busy catching fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dracman

Thanks for that Biz....Ill give that a shot in a couple of weeks. Sounds promising. And theres no fees or anything? That great as they will probably get bored after an hour or so. Ill let you know how I get on.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭purehoor

the canal at oldbridge has a small head of fish in it and some small pike but finding them is the problem and its free too. bizzum is right too. the kids love it there and are always gauranteed fish so it'll keep them interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Dracman wrote: »
    Hi folks, just enquiring to see if anyone can give me a bit of info. Im planning on bringing my 6 year old out on his first fishing trip(s) this year. Im living up in Balbriggan and was planning on heading up towards the boyne/Louth/Meath area (not too far). I myself havent been for a bit myself and have fished down around the home area on the Barrow and the nore only. I dont do fly (yea I know, shame on me), and have mainly done course (got some great Bream in my time) fishing. Id be very grateful on whatever info you can give me, ie clubs, fees etc. Definatly would like to know about free fishing as its only going to be a couple of trips this year to start us off. Whats the story with the canal around Oldbridge?
    Thanks for the info.

Google "Rathescar fishing" or "Rathescar lake". Up the road near Dunleer and easy to catch roach any time of the year.

Advertisement