Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22lr shot shells

Options
  • 10-01-2012 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Until last night I honestly didn't know these existed!

Was in the RFD's and it turns out he stocks 3 diff types that contain #12 shot. He says they are great for ratting or shooting Starlings inside buildings.

The CCI ones have the shot in a wee plastic capsule the Winnie's are crimped at the end...

Has anyone tried these before??? :confused: any experience good or bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I used some made by Ely a long time ago and wasn't too keen on the way the crimp opened out into the rifling of the barrel. If I remember right, they gave a very open pattern but I did shoot a pidgeon with them once at very close range. Back in the '60's the Yanks made smoothbore .22's for a kind of miniature skeet. The ones with a shot capsule would be worth a try for rats or dispatching the likes of mink in traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

sfakiaman wrote: »
    I used some made by Ely a long time ago and wasn't too keen on the way the crimp opened out into the rifling of the barrel. If I remember right, they gave a very open pattern but I did shoot a pidgeon with them once at very close range. Back in the '60's the Yanks made smoothbore .22's for a kind of miniature skeet. The ones with a shot capsule would be worth a try for rats or dispatching the likes of mink in traps.

From what I seen I would have thought that the crimp opened in the chamber??

The RFD was saying you can get them for a .44 and use them to shoot clays with a revolver!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I have some of the crimped type, bought a box of 50 to test them out dispatching rats and crows at a very close range.
    They did not give an instant kill like you would expect, not sure but i think mine are Winchester ?
    I really liked the idea of them but IMO they didn't live up to expectations.
    Others types/makes might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭czgalway

i got a box of the federal game shok ones there 50 in a box aswell but i only used a few they are useless outside 10 feet and really dirty on the barrell i wouldnt bother with them again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

which rfd had the cci ones?i'd like to try them. the fedral ones are ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I used them about 40 year's ago and found them useless, maybe they are better now.

juice1304 wrote: »
    which rfd had the cci ones?i'd like to try them. the fedral ones are ****e

Tom Glass, Clogh, Co Antrim.

It says on the packet they aren't suitable for a semi-auto rifle- so that's me out for a start. I was just wondering what the consensus on them was because I had never seen them before...

[QUOTE=Glensman;
    It says on the packet they aren't suitable for a semi-auto rifle- so that's me out for a start.[/QUOTE]

They will work fine as a one shot, They just won't cycle the action so as long as you can load one at a time they will work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

not worth a monkeys i bought a box years ago when we had an invasion of rats into a meal store , they were that used to people they would sit and watch you
    even at 10feet they still run off when you shoot those at them :D a poor air rifle is a better bet than those

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

I bought a crimped box to clear crows out of a shed galvinsed shed. They were chased out and shot with a shotgun before I could use the ammo.
    They patterned well on paper, not like a donut pattern as i heard.
    I heard theyll down a pigeon in a shed but won't kill it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

I wouldnt waste my money on them anymore. I've shot cci, federal , winchester and aquila. One type of federal I had only had 4 pellets in them. They were ok but not accurate at all. The other type had #12 shot in it and cost €15 for 50.
    To be honest if your shooting past 10 feet you are wasting your time. The pattern becomes far too patchy and theres just not enough power in the tiny pellets. I had a problem with pigeons in the grain store. I was standing almost directly under the rafter it was about 20 feet high , fired at the pigeon and it didnt kill. This happened numerous times. I even tested the pattern on an A4 page and alot of the pellets didn't go through the paper at 10 yards.

Waste of money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I've used Federal and Winchester and find them great....... for making noise. That's about it. As affective rounds they're hit and very much miss. The spread is very open, probably down to the barrels rifling. Might be better suited to a smooth barrelled rifle.
    I find CB Long a much better round for low powered shooting around the farmyard

I wouldnt waste my money on them anymore. I've shot cci, federal , winchester and aquila. One type of federal I had only had 4 pellets in them. They were ok but not accurate at all. The other type had #12 shot in it and cost €15 for 50.
    To be honest if your shooting past 10 feet you are wasting your time. The pattern becomes far too patchy and theres just not enough power in the tiny pellets. I had a problem with pigeons in the grain store. I was standing almost directly under the rafter it was about 20 feet high , fired at the pigeon and it didnt kill. This happened numerous times. I even tested the pattern on an A4 page and alot of the pellets didn't go through the paper at 10 yards.

Waste of money :(

You have me convinced! I think I'll buy a box of the CCIs with the blue capsule, may as well try them on paper- although I have no actual need of them as I never shoot indoors or anywhere where a .22lr sub is unsuitable...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

id agree with landkeeper you be better off with a half decent air rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Glensman wrote: »
    You have me convinced! I think I'll buy a box of the CCIs with the blue capsule, may as well try them on paper- although I have no actual need of them as I never shoot indoors or anywhere where a .22lr sub is unsuitable...

Let us know how they go for you Glensman

Let us know how they go for you Glensman

Will do, although the issue is finding the time and weather to shoot the bloody things :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

If you can get .22 shorts they are ideal for short range vermin control. Not every dealer has them. I have a Henry .22 s/l/lr lever gun and with the open sights its great craic shooting rats with the shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The rounds with the shot in capsules will tend to "donut" as the rifling will impart spin to the plastic capsule.

As others have mentioned, those CB caps (can u still get them?) are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Glensman wrote: »
    The RFD was saying you can get them for a .44 and use them to shoot clays with a revolver!

I have a box of 10 in 45acp. At a cost of over $1.00 per round, I doubt I'll bring them to the skeet range.

I can only imagine 44 magnum rounds would be ridiculously expensive.

I heard that the air marshals were issued the 45acp shot shells for use on airplanes to prevent the possibility of explosive decompression due to a stray round penetrating the fuselage.

Mine were Federal Cartridges not Winchester as i thought.
    They were still useless anyway.

22BirdShot01-1.jpg

22BirdShot02-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭foxboy

scaled.php?server=10&filename=2012032.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=844&filename=2012030.jpg&res=medium

use these for pigeons in sheds and find them great wont always kill them but they knock them to the ground and I kill them then
    I find shooting at the head or going against the feathers best ( from behind or directly below to get grains under feathers )

1st photo shows grains from one cartridge didnt count them 50 or 60

Advertisement