Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCITP Certification

Options
  • 10-01-2012 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm thinking of studying for the MCITP certification but need some advice.

I have a degree in Software Development and Networking but looking for some specific certification as the degree course was quite broad.

I don't have any day to day work experience in an IT role with Windows network environments. Apart from messing around with a Server 2008 installation on a VM at home.

The whole reason I would like to do this is to obviously put on the CV because I would be looking to go for a proper IT job eventually. Since finishing college I have been working in a call centre supporting staff on the floor but its not something I want to continue for much longer.

Can someone recommend the best path to achieve the MCITP as I'm a bit confused by all the different exams there?

Is it just a matter of doing all the MCITP exams and then you are MCITP certified. Like 70-680 and so on?

I would plan to self study for the exams as cant really afford to fork out thousands on a course.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its not that hard to understand. Pick a MCITP like Server admin, pass the three exams(70-640, 70-642, 70-646) and get the qualification. Some exams overlap across a range of different certs. Take a gander through the know your experts above to get a feel of what certs you could do with.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2

Won't get you a better job in itself though, since companies can just hire experienced people at **** wages rather then any inward promotion or up-skill of staff at the moment.

Its also entirely possible to self study. The only things I found difficult were ITIL and Prince2. Namely because there so boring I wanted to sleep after about ten seconds of reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Its not that hard to understand. Pick a MCITP like Server admin, pass the three exams(70-640, 70-642, 70-646) and get the qualification. Some exams overlap across a range of different certs. Take a gander through the know your experts above to get a feel of what certs you could do with.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2

Won't get you a better job in itself though, since companies can just hire experienced people at **** wages rather then any inward promotion or up-skill of staff at the moment.

Its also entirely possible to self study. The only things I found difficult were ITIL and Prince2. Namely because there so boring I wanted to sleep after about ten seconds of reading.

Thanks for the response.

Is Prometric the best crowd to do the exams with? Just checked cost and 070-640 costs 140.

Also, any study material recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

mossy464 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response.

Is Prometric the best crowd to do the exams with? Just checked cost and 070-640 costs 140.

Also, any study material recommendations?

All the certification exams have a fixed charge regardless of location or centre. New Horizons is good though, I like the atmosphere there. Very friendly.

As for training stuff. I use training videos, mostly Trainsignal. Then I buy and read a hardcopy of the official book for study. Then its onto labs and practise exams. Took me about 6 weeks to get 70-640 in my head properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

mossy464 wrote: »

Prometric are the only crowd to do the exams with. They exclusively handle Microsoft exams while Pearson VUE handle the likes of Cisco & VMware exams.

If you live in Dublin then it's abit of a bugger as the only public Prometric exam centre is New Horizon's on Stand Street which is kind of stupid for a city with nearly 2 million people (just to rub it in Cork have two Prometric public exam centres).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Handy, I live in Cork :)

• Advertisement

Sweet, well then you have PFH Technology Group Ltd, Eastgate, Little Island or Fás, Rossa Avenue, Bishopstown to choice from. There are also centres in Limerick & Kerry too but I still think that it's beyond stupid only to have one public exam centre in Dublin. There should be at least three IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Just a quick question, I'm thinking about doing the MCITP, i will be studying from home using guides found on the internet.

Now, my question is, all the other certs like MCSA say how many exams you have to sit to get the cert, like you have to sit all 3 from one section then 1 from another and 1 from another again, what exams are required for you to get the MCITP cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Raekwon wrote: »
    Sweet, well then you have PFH Technology Group Ltd, Eastgate, Little Island or Fás, Rossa Avenue, Bishopstown to choice from. There are also centres in Limerick & Kerry too but I still think that it's beyond stupid only to have one public exam centre in Dublin. There should be at least three IMO.

The exam centres are private, not public. Any joe soap could open one in the morning, once they filled certain criteria.

allen175 wrote: »
    Just a quick question, I'm thinking about doing the MCITP, i will be studying from home using guides found on the internet.

Now, my question is, all the other certs like MCSA say how many exams you have to sit to get the cert, like you have to sit all 3 from one section then 1 from another and 1 from another again, what exams are required for you to get the MCITP cert?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx

Click on Certifications. Now, was that hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

testicle wrote: »
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx

Click on Certifications. Now, was that hard?

Yes i see that i have viewed that many times, but it doesn't say you have to sit every single one of the exams to get the cert.

Like this one tells you that you must sit and pass 4 exams to get the cert.
    To earn the MCSA on Windows Server 2003 certification, you must pass four exams (in any order):

Two exams on networking systems

One exam on client operating systems

One elective exam

• Advertisement

allen175 wrote: »
    Yes i see that i have viewed that many times, but it doesn't say you have to sit every single one of the exams to get the cert.

Like this one tells you that you must sit and pass 4 exams to get the cert.

There is one MCSA, there are several MCITPs. That much is pretty obvious from the link I provided, along with the required exams for each one.

testicle wrote: »
    The exam centres are private, not public. Any joe soap could open one in the morning, once they filled certain criteria.

What I'm saying is that New Horizons in Dublin is the only exam centre that is available to the public to book an exam in Dublin. Of course there are loads of private exam centres in Dublin like Sure Skills, Global Knowledge, Clear Learning, BT Training Solutions along with the Fás centres but unless you do a course with them they won't let you sit an exam in their centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

BT Train center?
    Tests can be booked in here without courses. I haven't done one in there, but some of the guys I work with choose this one for location over New Horizons, easier to find parking in the latter.

Check their website out.
    [SIZE=-2]Exams
    BT have both Prometric and Vue testing facilities in both the Belfast and Dublin sites. To book a VUE exam please go to www.vue.com, to book a Prometric exam please go to www.2test.com[/SIZE]

I don't think one in Dublin Is a problem IMO. New Horizons is well located.

If you try to book an exam in Dublin for via the Prometric site the only option available is New Horizons on Strand Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Maybe I have it mixed up.
    Probaly VUE tests they were booking.

Advertisement