Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire HD - To Root or Not? Your opinions

• 10-01-2012 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Picked up a brand new (second hand) HTC Desire HD yesterday, upgraded from a Wildfire, which was rooted with Cyanogen.

The Wildfire badly needed rooting because of the low memory in it. I don't know if there's a need to root the Desire for this reason. I am already missing the option to quickly switch sound profiles, normal to vibrate/ silent from the status bar and can't see a quick option to do it on the Desire at all. The option to do it on the lock screen was great on the Wildfire, very handy.

I have Go Launcher Ex installed which is well handy.

I don't need all the apps pre installed, I do however like the contacts integrated/ linked with Facebook & Twitter via Sense though.

Running Android 2.35 & Sense 3.0.

Wildfire was rooted when I got it, so can I back up the stock Rom and if I don't like the root option revert to the original?

Appreciate your advice, as always guys.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Root the phone and install Android Revolution HD from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Apparent lack of an Ice Cream Sandwhich upgrade indicates HTC may be putting it out to pasture.. so depending on what you want from it, the answer may be yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Gyalist wrote: »
    Root the phone and install Android Revolution HD from here.

Much difference Gyalist? Pros / cons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The biggest advantage for me has been the ability to dramatically extend the battery life by being able to both overclock and undervolt the processor. Where in the past I got about 10 hours on a full recharge, I'm now up to 34 hours.

I like to tinker with my phone and rooting it gives you the ability to control it to the minutest detail.

Advertisement