Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Béarla sa Margadh

Options
  • 10-01-2012 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

I noticed yesterday that signs around town for An Margadh Sasanach* are now saying Béarla sa Margadh**, what's this for? To tell people from the Gaeltacht that English is spoken there? :D
    Bit of a facepalm for the council I'd say, or am I missing something.

The English Market.*
    English (language) in the Market.**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

F**king hell, what a joke, the laziness & stupidity is astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Orobhsa wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, I was wondering about starting this thread because a mistake like that is so stupid that I thought I had to be missing something and it might have been an old way of referring to the place or something.

It's amazing that nobody noticed it all the way from inception to the putting up of the signs, it certainly gives us confidence in those who run the city. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

It's amazing that nobody noticed it all the way from inception to the putting up of the signs, it certainly gives us confidence in those who run the city. :)
    Anyone involved in this should be very very embarrassed. Mind boggling really, and a sad sign of many people's (lack of) pride in their language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I remember there used to be a sign on the road out of the airport that advised in English and German to drive on the left but in French to drive "a droit". It was like that for ages, then after that a rectangle saying "gauche" was laid over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DeleveleD

FTGFOP wrote: »
    I remember there used to be a sign on the road out of the airport that advised in English and German to drive on the left but in French to drive "a droit". It was like that for ages, then after that a rectangle saying "gauche" was laid over it.

It's one way to get rid of the french :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

but surely if they asked just 1 irish speaker they would have explained the difference, is there not an irish speaker in the city council anymore? :eek:

hoodwinked wrote: »
    but surely if they asked just 1 irish speaker they would have explained the difference, is there not an irish speaker in the city council anymore? :eek:
    Someone who had leaving cert Irish could have pointed out that one.
    I mentioned it to an 9 year old who goes to a local Gaelscoil the other day, and she thought it was quite funny. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Same thing happened when some bright spark from Cork County Council erected new signage on the approach to Raffeen. Despite there being an old sign, which was perfectly adequate, the sign was erected with the town name printed "An Rath Nhin", instead of "An Rath Mhin" as spelt on the old sign. Needless to say the signs were quickly removed soon after, never to be seen again.
    This condition is known as signage diarrhoea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I saw this the other other day and WTF'd. It's ****ing disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 JJ1234

1. A wall plaque for Highfield Avenue West, instead of An Gort Ard Thiar, has 'Thiar an Gort Ard'; 2. Apparently the wall plaque for Shandon Court uses 'Cúirt na Seamróige [shamrock!]' instead of Cúirt an tSeandúin; and 3. the Circular Route sign on Sullivan's Quay refers to Sráid 'an Bheairic' instead of Sráid na Beairice. Any more such examples of carelessness or lack of respect for correct spelling in Cork city? Why don't sign designers consult www.logainm.ie?
    I noticed yesterday that signs around town for An Margadh Sasanach* are now saying Béarla sa Margadh**, what's this for? To tell people from the Gaeltacht that English is spoken there? :D
    Bit of a facepalm for the council I'd say, or am I missing something.

The English Market.*
    English (language) in the Market.**

Ah jaysus :mad:

That link is interesting, thanks!

I spoke to a native Irish speaker from Cork city (yes, he learned English in school) and he suggested that the more natural or native use of Irish would suggest 'An Margadh Gallda' rather than the official 'An Margadh Sasanach'.

Could be way off here, but with the Huguenot quarter nearby maybe the market would have been referred to as the margadh sasanach to be more specific as to which foreigners. While I accept that gall refers to foreigners in general, I always assumed it had grown from a reference to french/normans (Gauls) ?

JJ1234 wrote: »
    I spoke to a native Irish speaker from Cork city (yes, he learned English in school) and he suggested that the more natural or native use of Irish would suggest 'An Margadh Gallda' rather than the official 'An Margadh Sasanach'.

That does indeed have a nicer ring to it, though the geniuses in the council would probably start putting up signs reading "Dídeanaí sa Margadh".

I see your point -- well put. It would be interesting to know what other also think.

I see your point -- well put. It would be interesting to know what other people think.

Advertisement