Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix And Clare

• 10-01-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

By now most of ye probably have heard Netflix was just released in Ireland.

This is brilliant. You pay €6.99 a month and can stream movies and TV shows from their servers legally. Right now the selection in Ireland is limited, but it will grow like in America as more content providers do deals and you will end up with a huge library of films and pretty much every show on TV, all ready to watch on demand for the one single low price.

Also, you can install the app on your phone, tablet, Playstation, Xbox, or other device and watch stuff wherever you want as well using your account.

So, why did I post this in the Clare forums?

The thing is, streaming video takes massive amounts of bandwidth. Reports show Netflix is the number one bandwidth hog in America accounting for over 30% of all bandwidth used. It surpasses even bittorrents.

I am starting this thread out of curiosity to see who gets caught out by this first and to share a bit of caution with everyone. Anyone with a mobile dongle will be the first group hit - movies are about one or two gigs depending so on the average dongle you will get only a handful of movies or TV shows before you hit your transfer cap.

Sad thing is, the same goes for anyone on packages smaller than the biggest available in Clare. If you are on an Eircom or Vodafone package of 4 - 8 megs, you only have a 30 - 70 gig transfer allowance meaning added to your normal internet usage you will have a limit of what? 10-20 movies? 10 movies and 20 TV shows you can watch before you hit your cap and are then hit with penalties?

The service is brilliant and puts Sky to shame. In America Netflix has personally done away with a large chunk of TV subscribers. I would say it could do the same here, the only problem being the state of broadband here is going to limit us sure.

It also will spell the end to places like Xtravision. Who is going to pay €5 for a film when you can access a whole library of the same films plus TV shows for €6.99 for a whole month and never have to leave your home?

I also wonder how this will impact TV licensing. All new TVs coming out have this feature and they now offer a special TV dongle that plugs into your TV you can buy for about €50 that will allow you to stream netflixs directly to any HDTV that has a USB port. If I don't have the a Saorview box and don't have Sky or nay other provider hooked up and just watch movies I stream, can they go after you for a TV license? If I get rid of the TV altogether and just stream movies to my desktop PC with a 24 inch monitor, can they say anything?

Lots of questions to yet be answered.

Anyone else out there sign up yet? What are you thoughts? Anyone else sign up and not realise their limit cap is going to come into play?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I haven't signed up for this yet for precisely the reasons stated above - i am using a 3G dongle from three, and it would eat through my bandwidth, which I need for work.

I am hoping that we get some new data packages that are:
    a) unlimited or massive
    b) available to all (even those with a crappy old line)

But i'm not holding my breath...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I looked at it yesterday, but it is of no use to me unfortunately, as they do not allow me access to the service because I do not use MS Windows or Apple MAC operating systems.

I had intended signing up for the free month to see how it worked out on my connection.
    .... best laid plans ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I looked at it yesterday, but it is of no use to me unfortunately, as they do not allow me access to the service because I do not use MS Windows or Apple MAC operating systems.

I had intended signing up for the free month to see how it worked out on my connection.
    .... best laid plans ....

Umm...no offence, but if you are one of the 8% of home users that run Linux, you should be able to setup a Windows emulator (like WINE) pretty easily enough to run Netflix and whatever other Windows based apps you may need. I mean, minimally you should be able to setup VMWare/Xen/Qemo/VirtualBox and have a windows image you can fire up and run if needed.

Seriously, if you can't do that then you probably should go back to using Windows anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 happym

Hi, I'm in Kerry in NBS area,but I can use 3 phone with unlimited internet BBand for downloading & torrents at home, so it should work for Netfix as well. You can tether phone to computer or put sim card in dongle (3 or unlocked). Contract or 20 a month top up to get the unlimited.
    Not sure I'll bother with Netfix yet their content looks 'pure ****e'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Is that with the All You Can Eat data package?

I have that on my phone already, but didn't think to abuse it with NetFlix/streaming. Might be worth a shot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 happym

Don't think of it as abuse, considering how consumers are treated...
    Just checked My3 & it says I have over 2 Terabytes ( 2,039,213.684 Mb) Mobile Data remaining since last bill Dec 16th.

CptSternn wrote: »
    Umm...no offence, but if you are one of the 8% of home users that run Linux, you should be able to setup a Windows emulator (like WINE) pretty easily enough to run Netflix and whatever other Windows based apps you may need. I mean, minimally you should be able to setup VMWare/Xen/Qemo/VirtualBox and have a windows image you can fire up and run if needed.

Seriously, if you can't do that then you probably should go back to using Windows anyway.

:D:D:D

You want to buy that licence for Windows for me? ....... 'cause no doubt you are not suggesting I use a cracked copy of Win in a virtual machine!

Strange as you may find it ..... there are no Windows applications I need.

regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

:D:D:D

You want to buy that licence for Windows for me? ....... 'cause no doubt you are not suggesting I use a cracked copy of Win in a virtual machine!

Strange as you may find it ..... there are no Windows applications I need.

regards
    except netflix....
    From what i recall of windows 7 on virtual box, you have either 30 or 60 days to try it before you need to enter a code. Considering it takes all of 5 minutes to setup a windows install on virtual box, just wipe your virtual windows every 3 weeks or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CoxswainLovalot

Check out XBMC, there is a LINUX version and I'm pretty sure there is a Netflix plugin.

Or pick up an Apple for around e100

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

What do people make of the selection? I haven't signed up for the trial as of yet, but checked out their website and was largely underwhelmed

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    except netflix....
    From what i recall of windows 7 on virtual box, you have either 30 or 60 days to try it before you need to enter a code. Considering it takes all of 5 minutes to setup a windows install on virtual box, just wipe your virtual windows every 3 weeks or so?

It's a VM, you are thinking too hard with this. Save a snapshot after you complete the build. Duplicate the image. Run the image until it expires. Delete and repeat. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Using this via Xbox live, well worth singing up guys, they take a €1 deposit when you enter your credit card details, worth it for all the movies you want available for a month. The selection isn't amazing but it is still very good and will improve with time, 6.99 a month is well worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 njC

Has anybody got an idea about the introduction of new content? ie. How regular do they update/add new content?
    At the moment it seems pretty **** and don't think its worth trialing as of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

njC wrote: »
    Has anybody got an idea about the introduction of new content? ie. How regular do they update/add new content?
    At the moment it seems pretty **** and don't think its worth trialing as of yet.
    I reckon a few months down the line it will increase greatly, but for being free for a month the selection is great at the minute and even at 6.99 a month its good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Loving it so far. I've got no download cap so no problem for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

m83 wrote: »
    Loving it so far. I've got no download cap so no problem for me.
    Are you very, very, very sure about that? Who are you with? Not to sound condescending, but those words are typically followed by a large bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

file sharing with the likes of a rapidshare account costs almost nothing, and you can download movies before there even out in the cinema;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The selections meant to be kind of rubbish. I watch far, far too many movies so I doubt they'd have much I haven't seen.

Anything I can't catch in the cinema gets torrented.

I wouldn't get too enthusiastic about Netflix just yet. The movie companies and cable channels own the content Netflix streams so they have them over a barrel. They'll keep ratcheting up the price to whatever the market can support.

Until Netflix make their own shows which is starting to happen they're just a middle man. Wether they'll be able to make good shows and promote them as heavily as network television is questionable as well.

Xtra Vision are probably going to be alright. They switched from video rental to selling games consoles, mobile phones, TV's, sweets & popcorn etc. several years ago because they knew rental was going to be a dead duck eventually. They were far smarter than Blockbuster in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

250GB download limit on DSL and unlimited download usage as part of my 3 contract, was great being able to continue the movie on lunch at work but had been watching it previously at home on my Playstation.

Hopefully the content is updated on a regular basis. Couldn't believe it when I saw the netflix icon on the XMB, great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Sad thing is, the same goes for anyone on packages smaller than the biggest available in Clare. If you are on an Eircom or Vodafone package of 4 - 8 megs, you only have a 30 - 70 gig transfer allowance meaning added to your normal internet usage you will have a limit of what? 10-20 movies? 10 movies and 20 TV shows you can watch before you hit your cap and are then hit with penalties?
    Kash wrote: »
    I haven't signed up for this yet for precisely the reasons stated above - i am using a 3G dongle from three, and it would eat through my bandwidth, which I need for work.

Just a word of warning for anyone using a 3G dongle, I have a 10GB monthly allowance (for €19.90). A few months ago, I exceeded my allowance by 1.15GB and I received a bill for €43.37 :eek:

Basically, they charge €20 for every GB over your limit, so becareful folks!

• Advertisement

I would question the accuracy of the above ....

According to Eircom, NGB Regular gives the following

Up to 8Mb broadband
    Unlimited usage allowance

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/?WT.svl=2

I would question the accuracy of the above ....

According to Eircom, NGB Regular gives the following

Up to 8Mb broadband
    Unlimited usage allowance

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/?WT.svl=2

In a legal loophole Ireland has yet to address, broadband providers can claim 'unlimited usage' and then put a limit in the Fair Usage Policy (FUP).

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/faq/

They made this practice illegal in the US and UK but they have been slow to adopt it here. It's blatant false advertisement. Either you have a limit or you do not. You can't say unlimited and then in small print on another page put in the limit you will start charging extra for.

In a legal loophole Ireland has yet to address, broadband providers can claim 'unlimited usage' and then put a limit in the Fair Usage Policy (FUP).

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/faq/

They made this practice illegal in the US and UK but they have been slow to adopt it here. It's blatant false advertisement. Either you have a limit or you do not. You can't say unlimited and then in small print on another page put in the limit you will start charging extra for.

Yes, I am aware of that stupid situation. It should have been resolved long ago.

Nevertheless 250GB is a far cry from 30-70GB you posted, hence my comment on its accuracy. ;)

From your link:
    *Unlimited usage subject to a fair usage policy of 250GB.

Yes, I am aware of that stupid situation. It should have been resolved long ago.

Nevertheless 250GB is a far cry from 30-70GB you posted, hence my comment on its accuracy. ;)

From your link:

That change in their NGB package has only happened in the last few months. I switched to Eircom about six months ago or so and they didn't have the same limit then sure. Anyone who signed up to packages earlier would be under the lower cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Are you very, very, very sure about that? Who are you with? Not to sound condescending, but those words are typically followed by a large bill.

Cheers for your concern but I'm 100% sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

m83 wrote: »
    Cheers for your concern but I'm 100% sure.

Magnet? Friend of mine is with them, he has unlimited data and was informed that they do have some kind of "don't take the piss" policy, but it has never been enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Magnet? Friend of mine is with them, he has unlimited data and was informed that they do have some kind of "don't take the piss" policy, but it has never been enforced.

Also with magnet, and demanded email confirmation of no usage limit before i signed up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Whatever about download caps, what sort of speed is required for NetFlix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Most people on eircom ngb (ennis and Shannon) are on ngb basic which has a 10GB limit

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Most people on eircom ngb (ennis and Shannon) are on ngb basic which has a 10GB limit

I was not aware of that ..... didn't even know Eircom released such statistics.

Got a link to the info?

Advertisement