Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

8K to spend but what to buy??

Options
  • 10-01-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am a male in my mid 20's and looking to upgrade. I was thinking of 2008, ford focus hatchback 1.4, or something similar to that.

Any reviews on 08 ford focus? hatchback or saloon?

How about opel astra or the likes.

I want something that tidy bit has a bit of power at the same time.
    But so far any 1.6 08 saloon have not gone down well with my insurance:)

Any advice on above cars would be good??
    8k is really my limit but could stretch to 8.5K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I was thinking of 2008, ford focus hatchback 1.4, or something similar to that.

I want something that tidy bit has a bit of power at the same time.

Ok then....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

a 1.4 focus will not give anything even touching "a bit of power".

the new mazda 6 1.8 might be in your price range they have come down lots. not gonna be that quick either but quick enough for all driving needs really.

try an online quote from quinn for one.

If your mid 20's, have your full licence a few years and have a few years no claims you should be able to insure something with a bit of power for reasonable money. Did you try different insurers other than your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 billy_bob_joe

ya i test drove the 1.4 focus and it was fairly dead. no pick up on it at all.
    Ya i will look into the mazda's alright. 1.8 might be pushing it though for me. I just don't really need that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

a 1.4 focus will not give anything even touching "a bit of power".

the new mazda 6 1.8 might be in your price range they have come down lots. not gonna be that quick either but quick enough for all driving needs really.

try an online quote from quinn for one.

+1 on the Mazda 6.

I just bought one recently. Nice motors. I have the 2lt petrol which is quick enough considering its a big motor.

Never driven the 1.8ltr version but cant be too much slower.

Heres one.. Not far off your budget especially with a bit of haggling.

Lots of extra's as well, cruise/air con, etc.
    They have an ipod socket which is a small but nice convenience I feel.

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=711314&r=s.php%3Fm%3D51%26o%3D410%26s%3Dd%26yn%3D2008%26g%3D0

Please for the love of god do not buy a 1.4 ltr focus. Horribly slow cars. Dangerously slow in my opinion. You'll end up dropping gears all over the place for any sence/feeling of "power". Min of 1.6ltr for that car imo.

• Advertisement

If your mid 20's, have your full licence a few years and have a few years no claims you should be able to insure something with a bit of power for reasonable money. Did you try different insurers other than your own?

no not yet. i quoted an mondeo 1.6 saloon vs a 1.4 focus hatch and it was over double the amount extra onto my existing insurance. 80 -> 100 extra for focus vs 200 extra for mondeo.

+1 on the Mazda 6.

Heres one.. Not far off your budget especially with a bit of haggling.

Lots of extra's as well, cruise/air con, etc.
    They have an ipod socket which is a small but nice convenience I feel.

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=711314&r=s.php%3Fm%3D51%26o%3D410%26s%3Dd%26yn%3D2008%26g%3D0

Please for the love of god do not buy a 1.4 ltr focus. Horribly slow cars. Dangerously slow in my opinion. You'll end up dropping gears all over the place for any sence/feeling of "power". Min of 1.6ltr for that car imo.

ya nice car! I will look into it. May need to shop around my insurance alright. No I'm turning off the focus. 1.4 is just not too dead.

no not yet. i quoted an mondeo 1.6 saloon vs a 1.4 focus hatch and it was over double the amount extra onto my existing insurance. 80 -> 100 extra for focus vs 200 extra for mondeo.

I changed from quinn a few years back to OneDirect.
    I dont work for them.

I found them quite good, very comprehensive policy and cheap, still with them as a result. I tried shoppin round this year and couldnt get anyone cheaper at all. All about 100euro or more expensive. After tryin a few places and none of them comin close to my renewal I rang them and said something along the lines of "I feel my renewal is quite high, I thought it'd be lower so before I shop around can you just see can you give me a better quote to save me the time and effort" They did, gave me like 60quid off. :D

Anyway 1890 222 222 is their number I think. Worth a shout I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

OP, if you don't have a full licence it's probably best that you apply for the test now and as the waiting list is around 10 weeks, you can search around for cars in the meantime. Insurance quote should fall once you get the full licence.

166man wrote: »
    OP, if you don't have a full licence it's probably best that you apply for the test now and as the waiting list is around 10 weeks, you can search around for cars in the meantime. Insurance quote should fall once you get the full licence.

+1

Full licence could make a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 billy_bob

+1

Full licence could make a big difference.

Full licence isn't the issue. I've had that since 19. 24 now. Turning 25 in 6 months time. 5 years no claim too. I could absorbe the extra few hundred in a hope that once i turn 25 and on my next renewal it will drop significantly.

I'm also driving a 98 1.6 at the min.
    They said the main reason of the high price on a 08 1.6 saloon is the cost of replacing it to them if i wrote it off.

Any other suggestions of a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

whos this insurance company? and you remembered your old password did you?

wft...no not me at all:)

Advertisement