Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

calf with persistant cough

• 10-01-2012 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

lads have a mid oct heifer calf, she has a very bad cough. she seems fine in every other way, was sick enough from scour when she was young but got over it fine. none of other calves coughing, they have been on a bit of ctc powder since before xmas, thought that might clear her up but if anything the coughing is getting worse but she isnt showing any ill effects from it, she has been inside since birth. any ideas on best way to treat her?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

does she have a temperature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

I havent done no, dont think I even have a termometer :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

if she has a temp , you will then know there is something you can treat, otherwise the damage is done, did you give her a shot of long acting alamycin?

whelan1 wrote: »
    if she has a temp , you will then know there is something you can treat, otherwise the damage is done, did you give her a shot of long acting alamycin?

gave her la maxoject a good while back, vet says it a viral thing, just leave her be and she will get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

lads have a mid oct heifer calf, she has a very bad cough. she seems fine in every other way, was sick enough from scour when she was young but got over it fine. none of other calves coughing, they have been on a bit of ctc powder since before xmas, thought that might clear her up but if anything the coughing is getting worse but she isnt showing any ill effects from it, she has been inside since birth. any ideas on best way to treat her?

You and me both with this problem. I have 5 in shed. Late Sept and October born. Put them in mid November. Coughing started early December. All 5 but one in particular. Injected for worms. Must have had some lung worm infection as coughing got a little worse, for a week or ten days. Then it settled down. BUT, two in particular still have a lingering cough. Thriving ok, but I HATE, listening to it.
    Haven't tried the CTC yet though. Must start a course of it, and try a shot of long acting antbiotic.

Got a text from ICBF, about a calf halth conference in Ennis this Thursday afternoon at 2 pm. Expert and farmer speakers. Was thinking of attending.

Anyone else get this text? Anyone been at this thing before? Is it any good or is it a load of waffle:confused:

• Advertisement

Tora Bora wrote: »
    You and me both with this problem. I have 5 in shed. Late Sept and October born. Put them in mid November. Coughing started early December. All 5 but one in particular. Injected for worms. Must have had some lung worm infection as coughing got a little worse, for a week or ten days. Then it settled down. BUT, two in particular still have a lingering cough. Thriving ok, but I HATE, listening to it.
    Haven't tried the CTC yet though. Must start a course of it, and try a shot of long acting antbiotic.

Got a text from ICBF, about a calf halth conference in Ennis this Thursday afternoon at 2 pm. Expert and farmer speakers. Was thinking of attending.

Anyone else get this text? Anyone been at this thing before? Is it any good or is it a load of waffle:confused:

ya got he text but will be at work, never did this calf for worms but she has never been outdoors so figured it couldnt be worms could it

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

I had one with a persistent cough, that I treated with Alamycin LA and then Nuflor. It stayed coughing, despite all, but temperature remained at 39-40C throughout, so I felt it was ok.
    Then the whole lot of them got Viral pneumonia. I still feel that one was a carrier, but I may be wrong.
    It's still coughing...
    Get a thermometer, it's the most used piece of equipment on my farm for the last 3 months, that and the latex gloves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    First post. Welcome to BOARDS kid !!

pakalasa wrote: »
    First post. Welcome to BOARDS kid !!

Thanks!
    Now if only farming could be managed from the keyboard...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    I had one with a persistent cough, that I treated with Alamycin LA and then Nuflor. It stayed coughing, despite all, but temperature remained at 39-40C throughout, so I felt it was ok.
    Then the whole lot of them got Viral pneumonia. I still feel that one was a carrier, but I may be wrong.
    It's still coughing...
    Get a thermometer, it's the most used piece of equient on my farm for the last 3 months, that and the latex gloves!

Are you using the digital one or regular glass one? Digital one looks very handy what sort of money would they be?

• Advertisement

Bodacious wrote: »
    Are you using the digital one or regular glass one? Digital one looks very handy what sort of money would they be?

Had an old glass one, but when got outbreak of VP, got a digital one in Boots. Cost €22.50. Big display, flexible probe, audible beeper and most importantly, 5-8seconds to readout. All mine are bucket-reared, so can feed and take temps as they eat(no kick so far!).
    Most used piece of kit on my farm!

Advertisement