Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SALE

• 10-01-2012 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭

January sales, closing down sales, stock clearance sales, winter sales, summer sales, 50% off sale, sales, sales. sales

They seem to be all year round, I no longer trust they are real, I just think the sale has become another retail tactic for attracting customers in, but offering few real bargains.

So do you trust sales.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I trust John Sayles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I was in a well known electronics shop before Xmas. A Bose bluetooth speaker was 295E. I now see it is reduced from 695E to 295E in the sale. Thats quite a saving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

D1stant wrote: »
    I was in a well known electronics shop before Xmas. A Bose bluetooth speaker was 295E. I now see it is reduced from 695E to 295E in the sale. Thats quite a saving
    I presume it's still the same sale then. Otherwise that's illegal as it must have been 695E for at least 30days before the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Harvey Norman & cost plus sofas !
    Is there any time there not having a sale ?
    I thought this was somehow illegal .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

smash wrote: »
    I presume it's still the same sale then. Otherwise that's illegal as it must have been 695E for at least 30days before the sale.

It was not 'on sale' before Xmas and there was no sign saying reducxed from...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I stay well clear of January sales, some people are lunatics. This business of waiting in line for hours till doors open is just mental. I can't think of anything that I need that much :confused:

Do I trust sales? Not really, for the most part the shyte they've knocked money off is the stuff they can't sell. In terms of clothes, unless you're a size 6 or a 22 you're outta luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I think furniture shops are now the worse for this.
    They have sales on most of the time because they are trying to convince punters that they are getting a bargain when they are in reality getting shag all off.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Ya they lost against London Irish at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭niamhx

Hate the sales ! I spent two hours searching for something I could have found in 10 mins because of all the crap thrown around the shops for the jan sales. Clothes wise, the sale stuff is muck !
    Who buys that **** anyway ? Do they keep all the crap that nobody's bought all year and bring it back out for the jan sales ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Harvey Norman & cost plus sofas !
    Is there any time there not having a sale ?
    I thought this was somehow illegal .

That is what I find, they may reduce the price of a coffee table and then advertise a sale.

Every year I go into Arnotts on Stephen's day with about 400€ and kit myself out for a year. This year I seem to have picked up more items only to be told at the check out that these items were not sale items.

There is no way I did as well as I have in previous years. I somehow suspect I would have got the same clobber before Christmas with the same money. I am not sure of course, I don't keep an eye on prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Well no. Firstly I dont consider 20% off a sale (usually) as stuff is still overpriced at that. And secondly a lot of the stuff is of no interest to me, it's boring crap, damaged or in your face crap.

The word sale is just a tactic. It's rare the sale is decent. But the word sale makes many eyes glaze over in glee.

It's not always rubbish but mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

They always sell Shyte in the sales here. People queuing for hours to buy a toothbrush that has "ONLY USED AS A TOILET BRUSH ONCE" or half a t-shirt from motion picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I walked by a NEXT store a while back that had big SALE signs all over the windows, like it was the sale of the year or something. But upon entering the shop I found that the actual 'sale' consisted of a few discounted items in one small section, while most of the shop was business as usual with no sale, no reductions/special offers or anything.

So yeah I think the idea of a sale has to be taken with a pinch of salt at this stage. Some places seem to have a 'sale' going almost continuously. As the OP said, just another desperate (and understandable) tactic to try and get you in there and get you spending. Retail trade on its kness at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

ROFLcopter wrote: »
    They always sell Shyte in the sales here. People queuing for hours to buy a toothbrush that has "ONLY USED AS A TOILET BRUSH ONCE" or half a t-shirt from motion picture.

I've been looking for a more versatile toothbrush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I walked by a NEXT store a while back that had big SALE signs all over the windows, like it was the sale of the year or something. But upon entering the shop I found that the actual 'sale' consisted of a few discounted items in one small section, while most of the shop was business as usual with no sale, no reductions/special offers or anything.

So yeah I think the idea of a sale has to be taken with a pinch of salt at this stage. Some places seem to have a 'sale' going almost continuously. As the OP said, just another desperate (and understandable) tactic to try and get you in there and get you spending. Retail trade on its kness at this stage.

Had the pleasure of working for this crowd one year before the sales, anything decent was either taken off the shelves or not reduced. Most of the sale stock came from their shops in the UK. I wouldn't buy a pair of socks off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Firetrap have excellent sales every January & the best thing is that you don't have to leave the house as they deliver the clothes straight to your door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There has been a sale on Dunlop t-shirts in a shop in Carlow for ages. They have a label saying they were something like €8.00 and and are now €5.97. I think this sale has been going on for at least three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

There has been a sale on Dunlop t-shirts in a shop in Carlow for ages. They have a label saying they were something like €8.00 and and are now €5.97. I think this sale has been going on for at least three years.

There was a shop in Northside and it had a closing down sale for at least 5 years, its closed now, so perhaps they were telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

aidan24326 wrote: »

Had the pleasure of working for this crowd one year before the sales, anything decent was either taken off the shelves or not reduced. Most of the sale stock came from their shops in the UK. I wouldn't buy a pair of socks off them.

Holy crap !!!
    I bought a pair of socks for my niece there !
    Will she be allright ?
    She's a bit of a bitch , but she's only 12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

niamhx wrote: »
    Do they keep all the crap that nobody's bought all year and bring it back out for the jan sales ?

How cynical of you to suggest such a thing!

Advertisement