Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stippling brush

• 10-01-2012 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi, I bought about a year and a half ago the sigma professional brush roll and the flat top Kabuki. since then both my flat top and my Stippling brush have fell apart. The Elf flat top is a good replacement but I don't know what to do about the duo fiber. I want a good quality one to replace it, can anyone give me recommendations? I see the Mac 187 is 31pounds on house of Fraser, does anyone know the price in euro? I really liked my duo fibre for applying bronzer, anyone have any suggestions, I hate wasting money on things that won't last but don't want to spend fortune either, looking for a middle ground

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Yournamehere!

I have to say the MAC brush is pretty much one of the best ones you can buy.
    In euros I think it is around €46 but I have had mine for 2years and it is still perfect.
    I would definitley recommend them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

I would not recommend the MAC 187 ever to anyone! I have it and after the first couple of uses it sheds soooo badly! It does give a lovely finish except for the bristles that are stuck to your face! I find the Inglot 27tg a great replacement!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I would not recommend the MAC 187 ever to anyone! I have it and after the first couple of uses it sheds soooo badly! It does give a lovely finish except for the bristles that are stuck to your face! I find the Inglot 27tg a great replacement!!

how much is the ingot version? how dense is this version compared to the Mac?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

There are cheap alternatives - Gosh do one, as do ELF. I've used them both for applying foundation for at least a year (the GOSH one over 2) and they're still perfect and don't shed at all.

This is the ELF one: http://www.eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~227.htm

It's much smaller than the others, but does the job and it's size can be an advantage a lot of the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

I don't know the price as I got it as a present.

I think its slightly denser than the MAC 187 and it does give a lovely airbrush finish

• Advertisement

jenizzle wrote: »
    There are cheap alternatives - Gosh do one, as do ELF. I've used them both for applying foundation for at least a year (the GOSH one over 2) and they're still perfect and don't shed at all.

This is the ELF one: http://www.eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~227.htm

It's much smaller than the others, but does the job and it's size can be an advantage a lot of the time!

the Elf once isn't supposed to be very dense, Web which once is denser? ill prob get the Elf one anyway but from reviews its no good for foundations that are thick line studio Tech that need a dense brush

I don't know the price as I got it as a present.

I think its slightly denser than the MAC 187 and it does give a lovely airbrush finish
    I'll go to dundrum and check it out next time I'm there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Another thumbs up for the Mac 187 brush, I think you just need to learn how to use it properly to get the best finish, took me a little time to figure it out and then it gives a gorgeous finish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I have the 187 too and it hasn't shed at all, even after washing. I use it everyday for buffing in my foundation. I suppose it just depends on the brush really!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My Mac 187 is still in perfect condition after a year! I've lost very few hairs from it.

• Advertisement

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Another thumbs up for the Mac 187 brush, I think you just need to learn how to use it and then it gives a gorgeous finish!
    okay?

Emmmm, pretty torn between the Mac and the inglot, I think I'll check out a few reviews online about the inglot regarding how long they last. I'm pretty happy to think that Mac is the best quality but they are pretty pricey....

If anyone has any old stippling brushes do/don't work please do let me know!

Sigma do a stippling brush too. Haven't used any of their brushes myself (although I want the Bunny collection ones SO BADLY!), but they're meant to be very good.

Sigma do a stippling brush too. Haven't used any of their brushes myself (although I want the Bunny collection ones SO BADLY!), but they're meant to be very good.

I know that's the brush I'm looking to replace as it fell apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

The handled buffer brush by Coastal Scents is very good, really dense and soft. The MAC 188 is good, I love the 130 too though!

has anyone tried the Samantha Chapman Stippling brush?

I know that's the brush I'm looking to replace as it fell apart.

Sorry :o I knew there was a reason I hadn't mentioned it before.
    has anyone tried the Samantha Chapman Stippling brush?

Her brushes look really good, but I've no idea where you can buy them! Would love to try them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I've had my MAC 187 for 3 years now and still in perfect condition. I use it every single day to apply my foundation, and wash it regularly. The shedding is very minimal tbh!

my sisters going to London this week, I think ill get her to get me one while she's over, much better value on Sterling. I always said I'd replace my Sigma brushes with better quality ones!!

Her brushes look really good, but I've no idea where you can buy them! Would love to try them too.

I'm going to get this too I think, they sell them here, http://www.love-makeup.co.uk/real-techniques-stippling-brush-p-1500.html
    they also sell le femme blush!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

I was told by a make up artist that the 187 is only suitable for applying light coverage/wattery foundations or for buffing in foundation that has already been applied. I have a 187 but i find it too much work for my usual medium coverage foundation so it hardly ever gets used. When i end up using my face and body though its great. My absolute fave stippling/buffing brush is the dior powder foundation brush, its about 35 euro and has gotten some awful treatment from me but still is as good as when i got it, its hardly lost any hairs etc. I come across a few make up artists in my job and one applied the airbrush foundation from dior with this brush and the finish was unreal so i had to run down to dior like my life depended on it. Its fab and i would die if anything happened to it

/freak out over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

^^Just read your post there, I apply full coverage foundation with my 187 and always have a really nice finish. I use Revlon Colorstay, and I find the application perfect! Suppose it depends on the person!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

mac or estee lauder :)

Advertisement