Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could an attic not be suitable for storage?

• 10-01-2012 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have a mid terrace, timberframe house. The attic is not suitable for conversion due to the placement of the support beams. However, it is a big attic and I intended to use it for storage. Nothing out of the ordinary, just your usual christmas decorations, old childrens toys and clothes, that type of thing. However, someone told me that attics in new housing developments, especially timber framed houses, are not built to carry any extra weight whatsoever and I wouldnt be able to put anytihng up in the attic. Could this be true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

It should be fine so long as you put a sheet of ply or similar to spread the weight. And try and store stuff close to the wall joining the 2 houses, not in the middle of the attic. It would be weaker there if anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would say it should be fine also. If you are really worried, you could take a couple of photos and post them which would help. The beams on which you would lay plywood sheeting should be the main subject of a photo.

I certainly use my attic for storage. You just have remember to duck at the right time.

Advertisement