Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNDOUBTABLY the best Father ever!!

Options
  • 10-01-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

You have got to check out this website. Its the story of a Father and his handicapped son. There are no words to describe how i feel about this!!

Read the story then check out the video below. Grab something to wipe your eyes...

http://cjcphoto.com/can

Video: www.youtube.com/v/9Qj3yKCEKXE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I'm not going to click the link as I think I saw it a few years ago and cried for hours afterwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

An admirable man certainly but parenting isn't a competition where one can be the best at it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Got some dirt in my manly eye when I watched this a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Dude111 wrote: »
    handicapped
    Ah come on, it's not 1975. Try to use language that doesn't associate people with disabilities with begging.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ah come on, it's not 1975. Try to use language that doesn't associate people with disabilities with begging.
    What? I don't get the connection - or know why the word handicapped is supposedly frowned upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Dades wrote: »
    What? I don't get the connection - or know why the word handicapped is supposedly frowned upon.

I don't get the connection with begging and disability either:confused:

However, the word handicapped infers that there is something the person can't do.

I worked in the area of disability for a number of years and the emphasis is more about peoples abilities - keeping things positive and referring to peoples abilities (what they can do), rather than their disabilities (rather than what they can't do).

I wouldn't feel comfortable using the word handicap - and haven't done for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

the word handicapped as a description for people with disabilities is (commonly believed to have) derived from a time when some disabled people were forced to beg to survive ie "cap in hand" thus it is frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

The point of my thread here is: THERE SHOULD BE MORE PPL LIKE THIS FATHER WHO CARE ABOUT THIER SON AS MUCH AS HE DOES.... I would love to give them both a big hug :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

With respect OP, most fathers care as much for their children as this dad does - it's just most of them don't display it this way. You don't have to carry your child physically across the finishing line of a race to prove how much you love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Many of us care about our children and to go extraordinary length for our kids with out the need to make it public.

• Advertisement

I saw a piece.. must've been on television somewhere because I can't find it on youtube, of a similar story, except it was a boy aged about 10-12 1 pushing (in run and swim) and pulling (on bike) his younger brother (maybe 2 years younger). It was one of the most heart warming stories I have ever seen. This little boy had run in a race and wanted his disabled brother to experience the same feeling so asked if he could push him. It all developed to him completing junior triathlons with his brother though there would always be a trainer alongside them in case of any emergency. He nearly always crossed the finish line last but it didn't deter him. His parents tried to encourage him to occasionally compete by himself and he wouldn't.
    Whatever about what a parent will do for their child, it was amazing to see a child do this for his brother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

littlebug wrote: »
    the word handicapped as a description for people with disabilities is derived from a time when some disabled people were forced to beg to survive ie "cap in hand" thus it is frowned upon.
    Not true. The word handicap was initially a gambling term and only afterwards was applied to the disabled.
    http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/handicap.asp
    http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/~ronald/HandicapDefinition.htm

Not true. The word handicap was initially a gambling term and only afterwards was applied to the disabled.
    http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/handicap.asp
    http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/~ronald/HandicapDefinition.htm

Consider me educated :). I've amended my post accordingly.

Advertisement