Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gáis or ESB?

Options
  • 10-01-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I made the foolhardy error a year ago of signing up to Airtricity. They've been a nightmare to deal with and now that my contract's up I want to get rid of them. I have gas-fired heating (for water too); electric stove.

Would anyone recommend Bord Gais over ESB, or vice versa, to supply both gas and electricity? Or should I go back to one for each? I live in a house in Dublin 7. Your advice would be great, thanks :)

Bord Gais or ESB or both? 11 votes

Bord Gais for both
    0% 0 votes
    ESB for both
    36% 4 votes
    Bord Gais for gas, ESB for electricity
    63% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭rameire

Flogas for Gas
    ESB for Electricity

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

rameire, can you tell me anything more about Flogas? I'm not familiar with them and am a bit cautious of signing up with another 'new' provider (once bitten twice shy etc etc).

I never thought particularly highly of Bord Gais or ESB back when I was with them, but didn't really have any complaints either.

• Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Orla

Hi CamillaRhodes,

To find out more about our price plans, I can direct you to our website:

https://www.electricireland.ie/switchchange/index.htm

Here we give a breakdown of the competitive price plans we offer.

You can also request a call back through this link if you would prefer to speak to somebody about our rates.

Thanks,
    Orla

Flogas have been around for years, its just alot of people either never heard of them or just believed they did tanks or bottles.
    i have been with them three years now and never had a problem,
    they are a small operation but are very efficient.
    they dont do online accounts, everything is either by phone and paper bills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I went ESB > Airtricity > Bord Gais > ESB over the last few years, and I've just gone back to Bord Gais. I originally left the ESB because they weren't allowed to compete and I couldn't afford to stay any longer. Airtricity were absolutely dire, on every single front. Bord Gais were better but their billing system was crap and the lack of movement on it annoyed me (they actually fixed it just after I left). I decided to give the ESB a chance, and they instantly started spamming and lying to me (complaint to Data Protection Commisioner upheld, credit given), and their billing system was the same decrepit thing it was when I left several years earlier. Asked Bord Gais to bring me back and again their customer service was excellent. So, unless they regress on customer service or their prices get silly, I'll be staying there.

I'll never, ever deal with Airtricity again, under any circumstances. As I told not one but TWO dickhead reps that called to my door this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Some confusion as my last bill came in as from ElectricIreland not ESB? Has there been a takeover? Or is this simply a rose by any other name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I'm with ESB for both. I was with Bord Gais for gas and ESB for electricity but switched to ESB for gas as they don't request the 200e that Bord Gais does for sign-up even if paying by direct debit. I think ESB have a charge if not DD, and Bord Gais is 400 without DD.

Anyway no real problems with ESB except at start up I asked could I get one combined gas and electricity bill and that can't be done which is annoying. I use the online billing and find it great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Graces7 wrote: »
    Some confusion as my last bill came in as from ElectricIreland not ESB? Has there been a takeover? Or is this simply a rose by any other name!
    Hi Graces7,

There has been a name change - we are Electric Ireland now, but still part of the ESB group.
    And then, ESB Networks, who are our colleagues for technical queries - power outages etc - continue to be called ESB Networks.

All the best :)
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I am currently with Bord Gais for gas and electricity - I made the switch when it first came out. Have done a comparison on bonkers.ie and Flogas appears to be the cheapest for gas in my situation. Anyone got any experience with them?

• Advertisement

yes good experience with flogas, not a single problem, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

everybody avoid bord gais like the plaque,they are disgraceful

Advertisement