Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for parents in Skerries

Options
  • 10-01-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Do your children go for for swimming lessons? If so, where?

Are there any music lessons done locally, do you know?

Is music, like art, done through national school or arranged privately?

Many thanks for any info/recommendations you might have.

A very grateful Mr. Wemmick :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

I'm not a swimmer so maybe someone else can advise you there, but I do know an excellent teacher of guitar who lives in the centre of Skerries.

If you are interested I can pm you his phone number. (of course it depends if guitar is what you are interested in).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Thank you A.P - it would indeed be handy to have.

I was rather thinking about more open-ended music lessons for younger kids: introducing the idea of music, rhythm, percussion and allowing a child to explore and find an instrument rather than having one chosen for them.

Having said that, my 7 year old likes playing the guitar so that number would be useful to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My lads go to swimming lessons in Aura in Drogheda.

There are also nearby pools at:
    ALSAA at Dublin Airport
    Sportslink in Santry
    energie fitness in Swords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Is the Skerries Swimming Pool project still on the go or did the recession knock that on the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That's dead in the water (so to speak).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

The Holmpatrick Cove Hotel project has a pool open to the public in its plans. I presume this is on track since it was heavily lobbied for last year by Cllr Ciaran Byrne among others. Don't know why as IMHO its one of the best views in Fingal looking out over the green fields and blue sea as you leave Skerries but hey millionaires need somewhere to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

There is a Skerries Swimming club who give lessons to children in Gormanston pool on Saturday evenings and Sunday morning. (May be other times, but these are the only ones I know of.) My three year old and six year old attend. There are other children there 12,13,14 who are getting improver lessons.
    Also watch out for Skerries water safety week which is in late July/early August. A week of free training for children of all ages in the sea. Its a great week for the children and the parents as there is a huge social aspect to it. Bring your mini-tent, tea,sandwiches and buns. Culminates in Friday evening with all the parents on the beach having BBQs, sharing bottles wine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

midonogh wrote: »
    There is a Skerries Swimming club who give lessons to children in Gormanston pool on Saturday evenings and Sunday morning. (May be other times, but these are the only ones I know of.) My three year old and six year old attend.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but would you have any more info on that club Midonogh?

Can't find anything online.

Thanks
    QUad

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

https://www.facebook.com/#!/skerries.swimmingsunday?fref=ts

Adult & Childrens swimming classes
    Sunday mornings in Gormanston College Pool
    Contact Conor McNally @ 086-2455329

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

+1 on sunday swimming on Gormo, went for a good few years but rugby and camogie have taken over now so we're in Energie in Swrds. Far more expensive.
    Gormo they let you take v smaller kids (1-4) into the water with you when the older ones were swimng.

• Advertisement
Advertisement