Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the rich pay higher fines ?

• 10-01-2012 1:54pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I can remember a time when the fine for speeding here was £50 and was treated as a business expense.

In Finland if you break the law you can get fined fixed penalty and all that.
    If you take the piss then the fine is proportional to your income.

http://www.globalmotors.net/finnish-millionaire-gets-111888-euro-speeding-ticket/
    A Finnish millionaire Jari Bär, the former owner of the Iisalmi’s company Finnritilä was handed a fine
    of 111,888 euros (141,661 dollars)
    for doing 82 km/h (51 mph) in a 60 km/h (37 mph) zone on January in Siilijärvi, Finland.

According to Savon Sanomat if the speed had been 80 km/h the fine would have been only 115 Euros.

Why such a huge speeding ticket? In Finland fines are issued according to ones salary per day. As Mr. Bär was 2 km over the standard fine range he had to pay his 12 days income. If his income in 2007 had been 50 euros a day, then the ticket would have been 600 euros.

One big problem I can see here is that a lot of rich people here don't declare their income fully. Look at how many Tax Amnesty's and tribunals we've had. :mad:

I'm not talking just about speeding, but about stuff where there are clear signs where existing fines are not a deterrent to those who can readily afford them and where they are completely taking the piss. Like the weights and measures on petrol stations. Or serial repeat evaders.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Yep a percentage of your weekly income would be better!

80euro to me is a fortune, whereas some f*ckers can leave it as a tip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Whenever I get stuck with a fine I'm all like, "Don't you know who I am? I own this town - I'll have your badge officer. You'll be putting out littering fines in coldest Alaska by the time I'm through with you."

So yes, I think higher fines should be enforced against me to stop this sort of behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

alproctor wrote: »
    Yep a percentage of your weekly income would be better!

80euro to me is a fortune, whereas some f*ckers can leave it as a tip!

What happens if you don't have a "weekly income"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Absolutely not...what's to stop all the scumbags paying fúckall because they're on welfare?????

Plus I imagine it potentially could become an equality issue as well....I mean why should I pay more than Joe Soap just because I earn more...if that's not discrimination I don't know what is..
    Isn't it enough I hand over about 51% of my income on tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Irish Constitution:
    All citizens shall, as human persons, be held equal before the law.

Any attempt to salary-link fines would fall foul of this IMO.

Though in principle I'm not against it as a monetary punishment is only punishment if you will miss it. Plenty of the faux-riche during the boom years were known for preferring to risk an €80 parking fine rather than have to search for a remote parking spot with the peasants.

It would make sense to reword the legislation so that it sets out the minimum fine for an offence, but the judge may impose any fine he deems reasonable above that. At present the legislation tends to set the ceiling on a fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no. people who may have worked very hard to get rich shouldnt have to. when it comes to tax they shoould pay more though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I often see very expensive cars taking the pi$$ in the bus lanes - and it probably makes economical "sense" for a lot of them....even if they get fined once every few months, but within that time save themselves a couple of hours, if their time is worth more than ~50/hour which it probably is, then even with the fines it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Blazer wrote: »
    Absolutely not...what's to stop all the scumbags paying fúckall because they're on welfare?????

'They' would still have to pay fines and also be subject to penalty points.

Flat charges like VAT, the TV licence, and fines are proportionately a greater burden on middle and lower income earners, people on welfare, disability, and pensions.

It's a fairer way to apply fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AngryPensioner

seamus wrote: »
    Irish Constitution:

Though in principle I'm not against it as a monetary punishment is only punishment if you will miss it. Plenty of the faux-riche during the boom years were known for preferring to risk an €80 parking fine rather than have to search for a remote parking spot with the peasants.

It would make sense to reword the legislation so that it sets out the minimum fine for an offence, but the judge may impose any fine he deems reasonable above that. At present the legislation tends to set the ceiling on a fine.

The Irish Constitution isn't used anymore though. The EU commission make the laws of this country now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Plus I imagine it potentially could become an equality issue as well....I mean why should I pay more than Joe Soap just because I earn more...if that's not discrimination I don't know what is..
    Isn't it enough I hand over about 51% of my income on tax?

They'd be paying the same (but relative) amount of their income as you would. Otherwise they're paying (proportionately) more, which doesn't make sense.

You pay proportionate income tax so why not apply this to other taxes too?

I would guess that the logistics of imposing such a fine might be a headache and take a long time to implement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

In traffic offences we are all penalised by points, which is a kind of equaliser. I don't speed but I still have gotten 2 speeding fines once going 65 in a 60 zone and another for going slightly over 80 in an 80 zone. I find you do have to be very careful in the 60 zones, the speed limit in most these zones don't make sense, you think you are in an 80.

80€ is a lot of money to me and it is a very punitive fine and very much a deterrent. I do know a well off man and the fines are not punitive, 80€ is probably an hours wages to him, but he is on 10 points and clinging dearly to his licence. But he always liked his fast sports cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If everything in life was in relation to your earnings, where's the incentive for people to better themselves. Why should a wealthy person have to pay more for a fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

With a fair few drivers signing on in Ireland I couldn't see much money being raised if they took on that approach. :p

?

Please tell i've picked you up wrong and you dont think that all people on welfare are scumbags?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

dotsman wrote: »
    What happens if you don't have a "weekly income"?

Then you can't afford to own a car and shouldn't be on the road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Irish Constitution:
    All citizens shall, as human persons, be held equal before the law.
    Can't see why

For someone on low income many of the fixed penalty points would represent a huge chunk of their weekly disposable income.

Perhaps as a first stage we could index link fines. IIRC the max fine for running an unlicensed pub is just £50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Maybe the poor should pay higher fines. Makes about as much sense as the rich paying higher fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Most people in this country don't own their cars. Ie they belong to the banks, credit unions etc. Many of these have been laid off recently.

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Maybe the poor should pay higher fines. Makes about as much sense as the rich paying higher fines.

:rolleyes:

Feel sorry for the lad who fell foul to the same system.. The fine was based on his previous years earnings and he had all but went bankrupt between then and the fine. I'm sure some retard in here will try and justify that but it's impossible.

We're either capitalist or we're not. Who give a fuk if the less well off pay a higher proportion of their income. They're less well off. You start applying this system to everything and it's just a form of communism. Everyone will have equal buying power regardless of wealth.

My parking fines used to kill me but it didn't make me wish the Mercedes next door should pay 5,000euro while I pay 60euro.

• Advertisement

Can't see why
    Because in absolute terms a higher fine is a greater punishment, therefore you are not treating a rich person equally before the law.

It's all interpretation of course, but it doesn't really matter that one person would find €80 more difficult than another, the point is that they are both being fined equal amounts. For legal purposes those people are equals, their salaries are irrelevant, therefore they receive equal fines.

No way, its complete bull. The punishment should be the same if your on the dole or are a millionaire. I think its a disgrace the way its done in Finland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP - Yes the rich should pay higher fines in proportion to their income and then multiply it by a factor of 10.

OP - Yes the rich should pay higher fines in proportion to their income and then multiply it by a factor of 10.

And lets start locking up the poor for all motoring offences.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And lets start locking up the poor for all motoring offences.
    Actually we do lock up the poor when they don't pay fines

we would probably lock up the rich too, but they usually pay up at that stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

alproctor wrote: »
    Please tell i've picked you up wrong and you dont think that all people on welfare are scumbags?

You have what he said backwards. He said all the scrumbags are on welfare :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

oldyouth wrote: »
    Why should a wealthy person have to pay more for a fine?

So that it's an effective deterrent for wealthy people, I suppose.

FTGFOP wrote: »
    So that it's an effective deterrent for wealthy people, I suppose.

So we don't mind less well off people continuing to commit the offences, we just don't want wealthy people doing so. Makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Um, you do realise that the richest people don't get a weekly wage?

Business owners typically don't accumulate the majority of their wealth through wages, but through share dividends/appreciation and one-off payments

What about tradesmen? How do you define their weekly income? What about small business owners, farmers, musicians, actors, self employed people etc? A lot of people don't have a defined weekly wage. Only regular employees in full time employment in a single job could define a weekly wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭WhatAMelon

Yes, they should. A fine could hurt a poor person would mean nothing for the rich.

I thought wealthy people were above the law? Or is that a myth perpetuated by the left?

Because in absolute terms a higher fine is a greater punishment, therefore you are not treating a rich person equally before the law.
    Is it? How so? In the case of the poor person an 80 euro fine is a considerable punishment, in the case of a wealthy person it is not. So while the currency amount is equal the burden of the fine -surely the more important consideration with regard to justice- is very different depending on your income.

Tax amounts are different for different incomes, and as it stands now judges hand down different sentences for similar crimes. I don't see fines based on income as any fundamental injustice. It seems to work in some other countries.
    It's all interpretation of course, but it doesn't really matter that one person would find €80 more difficult than another, the point is that they are both being fined equal amounts. For legal purposes those people are equals, their salaries are irrelevant, therefore they receive equal fines.

Can't it just be looked on as being equal in terms percentages of income? The fine is supposed to be a deterrent, after all.

The penalty points route would probably be the simpler solution though, Maybe 0.5 points for illegal parking, something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Reminds of the speeding tickrt from CA were some 25 yo got a 200 dollar fine for doing 220 mph in a bugatti veyron.

That should be jail time.

So we don't mind less well off people continuing to commit the offences, we just don't want wealthy people doing so. Makes sense.
    I didn't see anyone saying that. It's that people think that fines should be as a great a deterrent to the wealthy as they are to the poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I thought wealthy people were above the law? Or is that a myth perpetuated by the left?

You kind of are if your fines make no impact on you. Herpyderpy left.. JFC..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Perhaps some sort of means tested fine? Then again this may be seen to be discriminatory toward the higher earners. For something the likes of speeding, a low earner speeding and a high earner speeding are in equal proportions of wrong so why would it be justifiable to charge the high earner more imply because they can afford it?

I didn't see anyone saying that. It's that people think that fines should be as a great a deterrent to the wealthy as it is to the poor.

Are there any metrics or research to back up the suggestion that the current system is less of a deterrent for the wealthy? Other than anecdotal 'evidence'.

If we are referring exclusively to motoring offences, then the points system is a better way of introducing equity - or will someone point out that the wealty can afford drivers?

If this was introduced, then I think the social welfare system should also change to pay out based on previous salary rather than the current approach whereby everyone gets the same. Same principle surely?

Is it? How so?
    Because the absolute value of €80 is €80, regardless of one's income.

But the absolute value of the punishment it not equal. A poor person and a rich person both being fined 80 euro is not equal punishment. The currency value is the same but the punishment is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Perhaps some sort of means tested fine? Then again this may be seen to be discriminatory toward the higher earners. For something the likes of speeding, a low earner speeding and a high earner speeding are in equal proportions of wrong so why would it be justifiable to charge the high earner more imply because they can afford it?

Its justifiable to ask a high earner to pay more of a fine because the morally righteous left think so. Even though as you pointed out they are the same crime but it would result in different punishments based solely on ones wealth.

• Advertisement

Is this not discrimination? Or is there an unwritten rule that nothing you do to the middle income can be classed as discrimination?

But the absolute value of the punishment it not equal. A poor person and a rich person both being fined 80 euro is not equal punishment. The currency value is the same but the punishment is different.

Not an equal punishment but the application of the law would be equal, and thus both citizens would then be viewed as equal in law.

Are there any metrics or research to back up the suggestion that the current system is less of a deterrent for the wealthy? Other than anecdotal 'evidence'.

Won't simple logic do? An 80 euro fine is less of a deterrent to a rich person than a poor person.
    If this was introduced, then I think the social welfare system should also change to pay out based on previous salary rather than the current approach whereby everyone gets the same. Same principle surely?

This is more like US system, and logically enough is proportional to what you paid into it while you were working. Seems fair to me. Going outside the scope of this thread though, I'd say.

Sindri wrote: »
    Not an equal punishment but the application of the law would be equal, and thus both citizens would then be viewed as equal in law.

My logic is that the burden on the payee = the punishment and in that way the fines could have different cash values but be equal punishments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

hmmm... should the rich pay higher fines .... if they break the law and ignore the law ..YES !

In the same way that someone who is poor should be given higher and higher fines if he/she continues to break the law.

I cant understand why we cant/dont introduce a simple system for driving - PROPER enforcement of the penalty points system (obviously changing some of the stuff to make it properly about road safety and not about creating revenue).

if/when someone goes above the penalty point limit .... they have to complete and pass "Driving School" - which would mean a number of weeks of weekly sessions learning proper driving techniques and attitude on the road - something which the person has to pay for and pass BEFORE they get their next licence....and even if they do they face 12months with a tachograph/GPS system fitted to their vehicle which would be reviewed on a monthly basis to ensure at least 12months of lawful driving to completely change attitude/behaviour on the roads.

My logic is that the burden on the payee = the punishment and in that way the fines could have different cash values but be equal punishments.

Yes but then we would be differentiating the equality between the higher income earners and the lower income earners in regards to the law. So if you earn more you pay more is discrimination against higher income earners.

The state/law would then discriminating against those who earn more just because they earn more. The law itself must regard all as equals.

EDIT
    123rd post YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY

Won't simple logic do? An 80 euro fine is less of a deterrent to a rich person than a poor person.

So that's a no then. Case closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Giving different punishments for the same crimes based on spite and jealousy. Interesting idea.

Maybe we should take this a step further.

Is the OP suggesting randomly cherry picking specific practices that suit his / her political opinions, or would he/she advocate implementing some other Finish practices?

How do the Finnish welfare rates & practives compare to those in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Giving different punishments for the same crimes based on spite and jealousy. Interesting idea.

How is being fined a % of ones income anything other than fair?

• Advertisement
Advertisement